Problems installing software when Documents folder in non-standard location

Discussion in 'PC' started by lordradish, Apr 20, 2018.

1. lordradish

lordradish Ultrasonic

Hi, folks, first post...

I have my "documents' folder in another place other than the standard location- I have it on a NAS drive that is always on and connected. I did it correctly, moving it the proper way, through windows, but time and time again, whenever I install any software, legit or cracked, if it has to write something to the docs folder (as many audio progs do), I get some sort of error about not being able to write to userdocs. When I go and move the docs file back to the original location, the programs install, just fine. I then go and move it back to the NAS, and everything still works. The problem seems to be primarily when I install things. Could this have something to do with the documents folder being on a NAS instead of the actual computer?
    Thanks!

3. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Question. Why did you move the Documents folder? That's an important folder in my experience. Serum, for instance.

4. lordradish

lordradish Ultrasonic

Because I like it accessible to the entire house and it has more space, there. I moved it the way I was supposed to, in the properties.

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You will have to make a duplicate of the my docs folder, because some software is just so badly written that they use my docs instead of user apps data or ProgramData folder which are actually made for this purpose. I have no idea why would any app write to a my docs folder since it is your private folder for your docs as the name itself says. But not only VSTs use it for its stuff... many, again - badly written, programs use it for saving their stuff even though it is so clear that user apps data and ProgramData are meant for this purpose. :sad:

If they asked me, I would actually use the same folder where you install VST but since W7 that has become tricky due to user permissions shenanigans...

Anyway, the only solution is obviously to have two my docs folders. Maybe use some kind of a sync program to back it up to your NAS? I know a really simple sync software that works really well and no need to install it. It's called Dsynchronize. This Dimio guy has some other really useful utilities as well. :wink: I use his Task Manager a lot, but I use all of his apps when needed.

6. John Smith

John Smith Noisemaker

Belfast, Co. Antrim,Northern Ireland, BT1 6DE
    JUst make another copy of the doc file and if you have serious problem then may be your system has virus problem.

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This is the problem. To the point that you should consider the documents folder part of the Windows and software folders.
    For the "real" documents folder, "stuff that you do" we could say, I recommend you to use another folder and link as a library for easy access.
    It's what I do, with the root of my D drive (D:\).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I get why people move the documents and other folders to another location because it decreases the boot profile size dramatically.
    In saying that, it means basically that any program, VST instruments folder etc etc that has no facility to set preferences to wherever you put the documents folder is going to have problems.
    If every program used has a facility to point to the location if documents is needed, then the only general problem with any drive that has it then becomes ensuring the NAS, external or whatever drive is always up when it needs to be accessed.
    Also I have noticed some problems randomly under the newer windows versions, where they seem to dislike being moved even though you can point to them.
    A smaller profile is good though if feasible to achieve it.

9. lordradish

lordradish Ultrasonic

Thinking about this more, the majority of the space in my Docs folder is taken up with photos. I think I'm going to leave the photos on the NAS and then put the docs back where they belong, as I'm tired of moving them back and forth every time I want to install something. Thanks for the input, folks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I also have all documents folders etc in a non-standard location. It works like a charm, although it's not a network drive so I think what the real issue is here is the nas cycling down on idle. Try to open the nas in the explorer before you install stuff, then try it again.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List