Problem with MBP M1 & VSTs

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by AurelT, Mar 1, 2023.

1. AurelT

AurelT Newbie

Hi friends.

It's been almost 5 months that I tried everything to understand/fix my issue but I'm really stuck now.
    I have a Macbook Pro M1 Max since october, and a lot of cracked plugins. I had a Hackintosh before - technically still do but I only use the laptop now as I'm doing more and more sync producing camps in different countries with my labels so I need to have my full setup with me -
    The problem is that most plugins work well in AU but not in VST, both cracked and bought ones.
    Only a few won't work at all, Plugin Alliance for example won't work in either AU or VST but almost everything else is fine in AU.
    I mainly use Ableton so 70-80% of the time I'm fine, but I also use Cubase 10 for some specific things for which I find it more adapted than Ableton, and as Cubase doesn't work with AUs I basically can't do anything advanced.
    I tried to use patchers like BlueCat but it makes everything crash when I do.
    I've seen many threads about plugins working/not working on M1 macs but nothing about plugins working in AU but not VSTs.
    Does anyone understand anything about it?
    My OS is Monterey 12.2.1, I'm thinking of trying to upgrade with a fresh Time Machine backup ready in case it goes from bad to worse but I'm always very scared to do those upgrades.

Any comment, tip or info will be much appreciated <3

3. curtified

curtified Rock Star

are you on ableton? if so you can use 11.0.1 or around there where its not fully the arm version of ableton. some vsts still work on that older version

4. AurelT

AurelT Newbie

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I'm mostly on Ableton, I have both the latest and an older version installed and the issue remains, however this issue isn't a big problem with Ableton, as I explained above it's about Cubase.

5. Talula

Talula Rock Star

same situation was at my intel mbp and legit PA plugins (studio one 5 pro). I just said "buy" to PA and transfer licenses to friend.

6. smoke

smoke Noisemaker

7. AurelT

AurelT Newbie

Thank your for your reply.

The problem isn't with Ableton, it's with VSTs in both Ableton and Cubase.
    I'm ok with Ableton because most AUs work but Cubase doesn't do AUs, only VSTs, so with Cubase I'm f*cked.
    But again those Costs don't work with Ableton either.

Do you guys think there's a chance that upgrading my mbp to the next OSX will solve this problem?

8. smoke

smoke Noisemaker

Best Answer
    Cubase 10 is not working with Apple Silicon.
    I don't know which version of Cubase you have but you need at least Cubase LE 11 to work with Monterey like written here:
    https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/4407350661266-macOS-Monterey-product-compatibility

I've seen the last update of PA for Silicon compatibility was on March last year. On their site they wrote "We do not have officially qualified software for macOS 13 Ventura yet and will update the info when we have." So I suggest you to not update to Ventura, but maybe you could update to the latest Monterey.

Is there any specific plugin that doesn't work in VST version or all of them?

Here there's a * near VST but I don't understand what it means.

Did you active the VST3 plugins on Live? check here

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  9. AurelT

AurelT Newbie

Wow Thank you so much man! It simply never crossed my mind that it'd be my version of Cubase that'd be incompatible with my version of Mac OS, I'm indeed using Cubase 10, which was way enough for what I'm doing, as I'm mostly using cubase for the incredible and\ unbeatable vari audio on vocals and strings but that's pretty much it.
    And it actually works, as long as I don't try to use plugins, Cubase 10 works with Monterey, but I don't like the idea of having a software that I paid for that only half works so I'll upgrade right away to the latest Cubase and hopefully all will work. And all thanks to you buddy

10. AurelT

AurelT Newbie

Oh and yes, I activated the VST3 plugins long ago in Live, they don't work.

11. AurelT

AurelT Newbie

Hi again,

So you were right about Cubase, I installed the 12 and though it's not perfect, I still have a few plugin issues, I'd say 80% of the problem is solved, so many many thanks buddy, I owe you one.
    Still barely any VSTs show up in Ableton but I use AUs there.
    I haven't had time to try things in depth but I only tried Bluecat Patchwork to try to open Nexus 3 AU in Cubase, as that VST doesn't work and I like it a lot, and it crashed. I didn't try VPS Avenger that isnt' recognized either because I'm pretty sure it'll crash too, if you have any idea why they don't show up, or why they crash in AU via Patchwork please let me know, but either ways you solved my issue overall and I'm immensely grateful