Problem with BD Dt770 Pro and fl studio, low volume?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by Brendan, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

So I recently got a legion 5 lenovo laptop, with a decent audio driver.

My issue lies in playing movies/producing music through my initial DAW fl studio.

FYI I do not have an amp but this was suggested for the Dt770 pro 80 OHM from a friend of mine. But, anyway, I have my audio driver set to fl studio ASIO. When I play samples or say a piano from a VST it sounds very low even with my laptop volume very high. And forget about movies, I tried to play a basic movie with these headphones it sounds like watching it in a cavern, or using a 10 dollar pair of earbuds.

I know these headphones are designed for studio use, mixing/mastering. I also learned that (what I was originally using) my pair of hyperx pros being gaming headphones they tend to color sounds and boost the lows and highs.

For over a year I was using gaming headphones to mix and master, hence maybe I conditioned my ears to this, and am not used to "flat" music with the Dt770s? But on YouTube the Dt770s sound phenomenal. It's only with movies and fl studio that the sound quality suffers, and I'm forced to switch back to gaming headsets in order to watch a film on the legion 5, or to produce music on fl studio (due the the crisp sounds unlike the 770s).

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. If it's a me problem? Or lack of amp? The laptop audio driver? Or the headphones not equipped for fl studio or TV shows/movies?

3. reignerrr

reignerrr Ultrasonic

you need a headphone amp to drive them and those dt770 are not flat, and don't use gaming headphones for mixing, they are SO BAD for that

4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

If YouTube sounds great but movies sound bad, it makes me wonder if somehow the "Dolby Atmos" is on, and causing trouble.
    (I recall you saying it sounds better with "Dolby Atmos" on, but of course it should be disabled for DAW work at least.)

With FL Studio, what is the mixer reading? If the meters are good, and Windows volume up all the way, make sure to double-check the FL Studio Master Volume rotary knob up top is set to 100%
    Fl volume.jpg

Well, hopefully someone else knows the hardware and can give some real help here!

5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Or any headphones for mixing!

6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Look at the impedance rating DT770 come in different ratings. I think the impedance is actually written on the ear-cups.

If you have high impedance ones, you need a headphone amp or convertor that is capable of driving the headphones properly.

YouTube might sound fine because the audio is limited and squashed. Loudness can cover for a weak output but you are not getting the most out of your new headphones without proper power.

Also, I would recommend that if you want headphones to mix in you should get open or at least semi-open headphones the next time you decide to upgrade unless you need isolation in a recording situation. I don't think headphones can ever replace a proper room with a good pair of loudspeakers, but needs must and to each his own.

7. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Any suggestions for audio amps? i heard schiit audio amps are decent

8. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

i got 80 OHM. which was suggested for laptops which i work on... im thinking of making one more investment, in an amp now to actually utilize the headphones but was hoping there was a practical solution/cheaper one

9. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Do you not have an external interface?
    And @JMOUTTON, won't an interface power headphones affectively?

10. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

That is what I wondered, too. If needing a headphone amp, i suppose some can be had pretty cheap, but for around $100, one can have an ASIO interface with Midi Ports as well. Presonus Audiobox 96 has that...

11. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

@Brendan

I would run am amp or external dac / audio interface for 80Ω headphones especially for dynamic content or classical music. I wouldn't expect the output on most laptops or phones to power anything over 32Ω. You can get decent enough inline amp for for around $30, or you can get something like a FiiO E10K which comes with DAC for around $70. These amps are not going to drive 250Ω headphones fully but they should handle 80Ω comfortably.

@Smoove Grooves

Depends on the interface. Some are known for having strong outputs and some have cut corners on that front. Though for an impedance of 80Ω you don't need to look to hard as most of the common brands can output enough power.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List