Problem installing Waves v9r5

Discussion in 'PC' started by 420, Sep 5, 2012.

1. 420

420 Newbie

Hi guys,
    I installed the software following the instructions, but afterwards Sonar X1 does not recognize the waves shell as a VST. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the same thing happens. Then I tried using the shell vst tool but i get a message that the wave shell is not a valid VST. I'm running win7 x64. Thanks for your help :wink:

3. MARJU GRLYO

MARJU GRLYO Noisemaker

Did you run the "Waves AU Reg Utility" ? (Or maybe there's a "Waves VST Reg Utility" ? Not sure because I'm on Mac but take a look !)

4. bluejayway

bluejayway Newbie

I'm still on waves 8 and had the same prob when I installed it. This is what I did and worked for me:

There's a little utility called *shell2vst* (google it and download it if you don't have it). You copy-paste an instance of *shell2vst* inside the folder where you installed Waves (i.e. C:\Program Files\VSTplugins\Waves) and then you just drag and drop the Waves *shell.dll* on *shell2vst*. The utility instantly creates separate Waves plugins (dlls). You restart your DAW (or maybe you'll have to restart your computer AND THEN restart your DAW) and voila! Everything's hunky dory, your DAW finds all the plugins and you go on creating great music!

5. fritoz

fritoz Ultrasonic

wait, so instead of loading up the whole waves wrapper, and then choosing the plug i want inside the waves wrapper, the shell2vst will then make ALL the plugs inside the waves wrapper appear to my DAW by themselves?!!??

that would be great, i dont use the waves package as much because i hate having it load each time i wan to browse for a plug-

so is that what you meant?

6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

bluejayway, I ´d like to have the answer too, as the wave shell is not practical. If each waves plugin could be transform into a "normal" vst. I could organize them by folders, which would be a great thing as there is so much plugins in there.

7. 420

420 Newbie

bluejayway I tried using the shellvst, but it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion. :wink:

8. bluejayway

bluejayway Newbie

Hi frito zanzibar and olymoon, sorry I just saw your messages. This is the procedure:

1 - Download Shell2vst.exe from here http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip
    2 - Copy Shell2vst.exe to C:\Program Files\Waves\Waveshells
    3 - Drag and drop each "WaveShell-VST x.x.x.dll" onto the shell2vst.exe (But not WaveShell-Direct X...dll or the WaveShell-Direct X...dll) If prompted to overwrite, choose "no"
    4 - A new "Waves" folder will be created that contains all the waves plugins as individual .dll fils
    5 - Copy the newly created "Waves" folder into your shared Vstplugins folder (Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins)
    6 - Remove the WaveShells from your shared Vstplugins folder

I copied this procedure from here:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1719552&mpage=1&print=true

I've used it myself (Waves 8) and worked perfectly :wink:

9. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Hello,

I tried it exactly like described here, but no plug-in DLLs were generated.

The application just wrote "failed" to every plug-in, and finally "0 VSTs were created".

Any idea? :dunno:

10. bluejayway

bluejayway Newbie

I'm not an expert, I just shared a solution that I found and worked for me. Maybe it doesn't work with Waves 9, I don't know.

Sorry that it didn't work for you - maybe you should google "Shell2vst.exe" and "Waves 9 vst" and find a specific solution for your case.

Anyway, if it works for any of you, yes you can 'eliminate' all the unwanted Waves plugins. Since the Shell2vst.exe provides you with individual plugins-dlls, what I did was to RAR all the plugs I don't need/use - I did not delete them because you never know, maybe someday one of these plugins might be useful.

Best of luck *yes*

11. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

Personally, I don't need to get all these 'Waves' Plug-Ins in a different way that as installed by 'default' by the 'Waves' Installer itself, mainly because the FULL Waves V9 Bundle is working fine for me (379 Plug-Ins, all working perfectly). *yes*
    Nevertheless, I've done the process explained by 'Bluejayway' by curiosity, and also as it seems that some of you get some troubles to get his 'method' working well.

In my case, and as you can see it below along the diverse snapshots, all is done perfectly and in a fast way. A really Great Tool for those that need to use it for some reasons...

All you have to do is to follow the exact steps explained by 'Bluejayway' within his comment, and you should to get the following :

[​IMG]

As rightly said by 'Bluejayway'

[​IMG]

A new 'Waves' Folder is created which contains (in my case) exactly 379 Plug-Ins, exactly the same number that I have within my 'regular' 'Waves V9' Folder.

[​IMG]

Here, you have a small part of the content of this newly created folder : 'Waves'.
    Hey, 379 Plug-Ins, I need a 'Wide TV Screen' to depict them altogether !!! :rofl:

I confirm then that the 'method' of 'Bluejayway' works perfectly... *yes* :wink:

Added afterwards :

@ Bluejayway,

I missed your last comment, certainly because I was writing mine while you was written yours !

Maybe you don't think that you're an 'expert', but you're almost there ! :wink:
    Moreover, you also provided very wise advices (the second part of your last comment). *yes*

Congratulations ! :wink:

12. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

@ Studio 555

Thank you for the pictures :thumbsup:

That is exactly what I did (several times).

I always only get this result:

[​IMG]

Maybe it wouldn't help me anyway.

I can't get Waves 9 to work, no matter which release.
    It freezes both Cubase 5 and Studio One 2.
    If I click on a plug-in, it opens, but when I want to close it, the GUI becomes white, and freezes the whole DAW :dunno:

13. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Sorry if it has nothing to do with the problem, but I noticed I have the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable several times installed:

[​IMG]

Could be that a cause for my problem?
    Which ones of these do I need, which one I could de-install?

14. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Gulliver,

I don't think so... As you can see, I have also several 'Microsoft Visual C++' versions installed within my PC :

[​IMG]

I can't accurately say you which to de-install and which to keep.
    Some of these versions are automatically installed with some Plug-Ins or Applications/Programs that rely on and need them, so in my opinion, it's rather wise to keep them.
    Windows OS is so 'capricious' that is preferably to let it do its 'stuff' the way it needs and with the files that it also needs... *yes* . Moreover, these files are almost insignificant in terms of size, so...

15. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Thank you... then I just let them be.

I finally managed to create individual Waves plug-ins, thanks to a tip from a friend.
    I used a tool called "VST Wrapper Builder".
    The shell2vst simply did not work for me.

But my main problem remains... the plug-ins were working a little longer now (3 mins), but finally froze my DAW.

Back to Waves 8 again, I guess... with that I never had any problems.

I think Waves must have changed something in the graphics in Waves 9, and whatever it is, it seems not to be compatible with my graphic chip (integrated).

16. bluejayway

bluejayway Newbie

@ studio 555
    thanks my friend for your patience to provide the photographic proof of the functionality of my method (which is not mine at all, of course) because I was beginning to doubt it myself, I thought I dreamt the whole thing. :rofl:

@ Gulliver
    To tell the truth I got v9 a long time ago but I don't dare installing it cause I'll have to uninstall v8 which works perfectly and if 9 for some reason plunges.... [sigh]... I've lived this drama one too many a time to endure it once again. Until i feel a little more adventurous again, I'll stick with 8! *yes*

Besides I've noticed that far too many semi-pros and home musicians/producers spend 90% of their time trying new software, installing-uninstalling, fixing damages caused by all this, re-installing Windows and even formating disks blah-blah-blah -- and rarely compose, produce or really do anything which actualy could be described as "making music". I don't want to be sucked in this trap... Well, that was my 2c for tonight :bleh:

17. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

It is no problem to de-install Waves 9, and re-install Waves 8 again.
    I have done it two times already (because 9 never worked).

So if you'd like to try it, there is not much to lose.

That is a different story :rofl: :dancing:

I also try to avoid that (more and more), but I really wanted to try out Waves NLS.
    Well you can't always get... what you want...

18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Is therer a shell2VST also available for OSX ?

19. davpat

davpat Newbie

have you went in to regedit and clicked full control. i still havent managed to make it, the closest i got was . they all loadid up in ableton but there were all in white , perhaps with a bit af knoledge from all every one we might find a solution.
    google that what i said bout going in to regedit and clicking fully control!