Pro Tools 8 LE nightmare

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by swing, Jan 23, 2014.

1. swing

swing Newbie

Hi. I´m having a bad time with Audio :sad:
    First, I had some issues trying to render some stems from FL... it took some time but I did it.
    Now, it´s mixing time (I´m finishing -or trying to-) my song for the Audiosexed Album.
    I own PT 8 LE (8.0.4 version installed) running with a Mbox 2 Mini, on Windows 7.
    I started the session yesterday, just as always, dropped a few tracks and started tweaking around.
    When I closed the session PT freezed and a DAE.dll error appeared.
    I looked for it, and deleted PT`s database and prefs, following AVID´s suggestions.
    Started the session again: more errors and freezing when loading. Every time a different one.
    I took all 3rd party plugs out from PT´s folders and tried again: same shit.
    After reading all data related I found, I downloaded PT 8.0.5 update from AVID´s page and also the last Mbox Mini Drivers for Win 7.
    Installed the update successfully, launched PT > DAE error again.
    Installed successfully the Mbox Drivers > Restart system > NOW WINDOWS DOESN´T START.
    I´m getting just a black screen with a small line flashing.
    Checked BIOS and everything is ok with my drives and booting...
    I´m tired and sad. I´m wasting all the little free time I´ve dealing with shit like this, and not making music.
    Deadline is coming and I can´t finish the track.
    All my drives are ok, they´re almost new and working properly. I checked their status and they´re 100% OK.
    Also, I was working just fine some days ago. I finished the arrangement last week and were recording with a friend all the weekend without any of this shit happening.
    I can´t even think in how to start fixing this mess.
    If I try to start Win in safe mode pressing F8 I get this same screen, then select the OS drive and it gets me again to the black screen. :snuffy:

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

I'm thinking of bad MBR, but dunno what caused it.
    Do you have some Instant Messaging software/account where we could talk this through? :wink:

4. rana

rana Newbie

i had once i similar problem with mbox2pro, i remember i made a fresh install of pro tools again after doing the thing with drivers. But should not be like this. did you remove everything of the former drivers?

5. swing

swing Newbie

Yes, a messagge appeared saying something like: don´t connect the usb interface so the old drivers can be removed properly.
    Then it asked for a restart to make active the changes, and then windows never started again :dunno:

6. CaliReign

CaliReign Noisemaker

I paid for PT8 and got a faulty install disk from Avid(Digidesign at the time)and they gave me a download link after hassling me sayin that the serial number I was givin them from my MBox was already used or some shit. So I had to send em a scan of my reciept from Guitar Center & jump through a few more hoops before they finally got me the link. Fast forward 3 years & a home invasion robbery in which most of my studio was stolen later, I can't even get a reply to an email with all the necessary info they needed the 1st time to get a download link to install on new computer. I understand that it's kind of outdated but I wouldn't have this problem if they hadn't fucked up in the first place with their faulty install disc. Frustratin to say the least. I know that's kinda off topic but I feel your pain wit PT8 frustrations.

7. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Do you have the Windows 7 64-bit Repair Disc??? it would fix your problem automatically

8. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

first off DAE.dll is the plugins in protools so i would say you got a bad plug delete plugins folder and relaunch
    2 when booting up your system unplug the mbox boot f5 or f8 safe mode should work with mbox unplugged if not welcome to HD Failure maybe time for new drive :wink:

9. rana

rana Newbie

look. try to start windows using boot (press del to enter set up) disconect first everything
    then uninstall drivers, pro tools, plug ins , and do some cleaner with a dedicated software, then install again drivers and pro tools, should work

10. delgadilloalex

delgadilloalex Newbie

if your using a integrated graphics card on the motherboard?
    looks like it just bit the dust!
    protools will have errors if graphics fail.
    or mother board. and with the downward spiral effect you had looks like protools was pushing your system hard and hot.
    and is your CPU a OEM?

11. swing

swing Newbie

Well, finally, with A LOT of help from Andrew, Win is restored (I´m -unbelievably- writing from my PC now).
    Issues had to do with Win MBR stuff.
    As I said, 3rd party plugs were removed before the crash and that didn´t work (PT was still freezing), and also it was impossible to boot Win in any mode. We used an external method. Nothing else worked before.
    Anyway, with Win working again, I´m testing now my sessions, because I had several issues this week. Moving again my plugs to my DAW folders, one by one, and launching the softs resulted in a crash with The Glue from Cytomic (I wonder what version people uses here and if anyone experienced any issues with PT).. weird.. so no The Glue compression these days.
    Anyway, PTools is not freezing and updated now.. it seems that no formatting is needed (luckily, I´m full of current stuff to finish).
    I´m still wondering what´s the issue chain..
    - The Glue > DAE errors > Fucked PT > Fucked Win..?
    - Fucked Win MBR > then everything else, with the extra updating (PT/drivers) affecting a little more..?
    Maybe it´s going to be always a mistery.
    Nice weekend. I hope everything keeps stable and working like now. I´m tired, but happy now: it´s music time finally.

12. swing

swing Newbie

Sorry for being so insistent with this, but I´m overwhelmed.
    I´m still getting this every time I close my PT session and it freezes.
    I´m being able to work in my track... in a more or less stable way, saving every second like an psycho... because I can´t figure out where the solution is.
    The only 'solution' I found from AVID is: "start PT as an administrator" :snuffy:
    No, it didn´t work. :dunno:

13. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Try installing these, they might fix the issue:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21254

14. swing

swing Newbie

Same thing :sad:
    I´ll try to make it anyway, dealing with the issues. Sessions are saved correctly.. until now at least. :dunno:
    Too much current works and university stuff to make a formatting and a fresh install of everything in the middle of the process.
    With some luck I´m going to finish before the deadline arrives, and then I´ll face the clean/fixing all process.
    Thanks for your patience and support :bow: :wink:
    You´re the best.

15. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Hey Carl, I spoke to a friend (computer Geek) of mine and he said the message means your program file is corrupted :excl: (ProTools) and you just need to:
    Uninstall it
    Clean your registry, i recommend Tuneup or Ccleaner
    Go to the Windows "Start" button, type "cleanmgr" into the Search field and press "Enter"
    Click on "Files from all users" if it asks and select "Continue".
    Choose the drive(C:\) where the program was installed, check the boxes next to
    "Temporary Internet Files",
    "Temporary Files",
    "Recycle Bin",
    "Downloaded Program Files", and
    "Setup Log Files".
    Click "OK" and select "Delete Files".

Once Finished, Re-start the computer

Reinstalled Protools
    This beats Reinstalling your OS IMO :thumbsup:

Please let me know if this works for you, it should or if you or gonna say screw it and reinstall it all lol :wink: :dunno:

P.S when a program corrupts it can and will damage your Master Boot Record(MBR) as most DAWs store files in your windows folders.
    I can explain in great detail but i know it's not needed Yet :bleh: jokes

16. rana

rana Newbie

yes thats what i was talking about, should work fine, run all the ccleaner staf, also old key registry after uninstall

17. swing

swing Newbie

Ok. Next week seems to be a better moment for a fresh install.
    I´ll let you know guys how this ends.
    Thanks a lot for all the support :hug:

18. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Hey Carl it's been awhile any updates i'm pretty sure your up and running by now??? Thanks