Pro Tools 11 CPU overload on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by munamoeni, Jan 18, 2018.

1. munamoeni

munamoeni Newbie

Hi

im a beginner sound designer and music composer for short movie, commercial and animation.

I was imac user for a long time. I use Pro Tools 11 and Logic Pro x as DAW.
    But Now i was decided moving to windows.
    This is my specification :

1. AMD Vishera 6300
    2. ASUS M5A97
    3. 250 SSD Samsung Evo 850
    4. 2 TB Seagate SSHD 7200
    5. 22 GB RAM
    6. Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850

i have a problem now. On Pro tools when i using kontakt with blue cat patchwork my CPU system overloading oftenly.
    Even with small amount of track (4-8 kontakt instrument or some synth vst like Uhe diva and reaktor) the cpu system performance goes to 80-100%.

Is this because my pc spec especially
    my Vishera 6300? or The RAM ?

My mid 2011 imac only have an i5 and 12 GB of RAM. But running smoothly even with 16 track of kontakt instrument.

3. zeppo20

zeppo20 Noisemaker

Increase buffer size.

4. munamoeni

munamoeni Newbie

Thanks for reply @zeppo20. But the problem is i can't play when using 1028 buffer size. The latency is too big. So im always stay at 256 when create a music.

5. powerplay

powerplay Ultrasonic

Welcome to native digital audio, that's how it works. Sad but true.

6. powerplay

powerplay Ultrasonic

Freeze everthing other than the instrument track you're actually playing. Buy an audio interface with low latency driver like RME, faster CPU, and even DSP based daw system like PT HD PCIe card.

7. zeppo20

zeppo20 Noisemaker

What interface do you have? I produce in cubase or recently Studio One, I mix in Protools.

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

"But Now i was decided moving to windows........I use Pro Tools"
    there you have the source of the problems :rofl:
    sorry for sounding like a jerk, but just use Reaper, you can even throw ProTools or LogicPro skin on it, and in case you give up windows, you can use Reaper on both platforms with zero problems

9. munamoeni

munamoeni Newbie

Im feel really sad now. :(

I have a future goals to become proffesional film scorer and sound designer.

But its feel so hard because the limit of my tools and hardware. im just using digi 003 with legit pro tools 11, KRK rokit 6, nektar controller and NT1A condenser for doing Voice Over. Even i dont have any mic preamp on my desk.

But i just love do this things. And im so lucky becuase im still survive. :D

Do you mean i must freeze the track on pro tools ? so if i play my keyboard controller i could stay on 256 buffer size but freezing other instrument? and when i want to playback all the instrument i change buffer size to 1024?

Is there any fast method to do this ?

Thanks a lot man.

10. munamoeni

munamoeni Newbie

Digidesign 003. Now im just using Pro tools 11.

11. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Digidesign 003 is firewire interface as far as I know, and this protocol was never properly supported in Windows environments,
    you might have stayed with that iMac I'm afraid

12. munamoeni

munamoeni Newbie

Im considering moving to another DAW. The one that more smooth than Pro Tools. My choice was Digital performer and Cubase. i did know a lot about reaper. Is it good? Beat mapping feature is key for my work. Because i do realtime tempo on scoring.

Thanks for reply @tzzsmk

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

14. munamoeni

munamoeni Newbie

I think i made big mistake for sell my Imac. :'(

Anyway i think my DIgi work well with Via VT6038 Firewire card. There was no error at all.
    If i buy new cheap USB soundcard , will it help?

15. munamoeni

munamoeni Newbie

Nope. Thanks for sharing this article for me boomoperator. :)

Im using cracked kontakt. I've been reads many threads on this forum, but it seems everyone said there is no Fix AAX crack plugin for Kontakt so i must using blue cat patchwork synth to run the kontakt player. therefore i cant run kontakt with multioutput feature.

I have made a threat to ask about that, but no response yet. :D

16. TW

TW Guest

You could download and install reaper takes a minute and check if you get a performance increase.

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

@munamoeni I understand you're in tough situation,
    I work in company where people are running digi 002, protools 10, 2011-ish mac mini and they're totally happy,
    just the thought of learning something new (for plenty people not time/cost efficient), adjusting workflows, not being able to access old projects conveniently - those are all valid arguments - so you need to ask yourself if you need ProTools and if not then if you are ready to "start from the beginning" and hope that it will be "worth it",

smoothest daw available right now is Reaper, it's absolutely reliable, resource efficient, and extremely customizable (you can even throw ProTools themes onto Reaper for easier transition if you wish) - if you're interested then check this youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXnI8LQv1nb105o3JApsxfw/videos
    and then there's the plugin format compatibility, Reaper can handle them all, only issue yet is the ARA support (for Melodyne for ex.) which is on the to do list and shall be released soon...
    you can download Reaper within few seconds (less than 20MB entire installer), give it a try (60-day trial, once it expires you can use it further without any limitations, just a popup notice about purchase will appear at every launch, not a big deal imo), and eventually buy it (60$, ridiculously low price for what it offers, valid for 2 major versions, so let's say you buy license for 5.xx all the way up to 6.99)

about audio interface, there are actually very few companies you "cannot go wrong with", I learned hard ways, finally ended up with RME, particularly Fireface 802, Fireface UFX, Babyface and HDSPe AIO - never had problems with compatibility, drivers or dropouts (of course depending on buffer settings) - definitely check those out - they aren't that cheap, but some of them are still rock-solid nowadays although being decade old or so

EDIT: oh and this indicates a lot too ;)

18. munamoeni

munamoeni Newbie

Many thanks for you @tzzsmk. i'll try. Yeah. Maybe i just too lazy to learn a new DAW.
    Im gonna share this video to all my pro tools friends. I think they gonna be mad to me. :D :D