Prince I wanna be your lover

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by anthony doyle, May 13, 2021.

1. anthony doyle

anthony doyle Kapellmeister

Hi, just wondering about this one at around 3.34, you have a funky clavinet sound. Is that the Hohner d6 ? You also have a synth chord sound at 3.40 it plays two chords. Does anyone know what synth that is ? There is then a lead synth sound also at 3.46 that comes in. Everything sounds really perfect and funky as hell. Anyone know the preset settings. Is it a dx7 ? for the chords ?. Thanks

3. Killa Smuv

Killa Smuv Noisemaker

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Roland Juno 60. They said Prince had a soft spot for Rolands and Emulators

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  4. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I think it's probably Prince on his Telecaster.

Prince was a great guitar player and rarely gets credit for his skills. He was also obsessive and didn't mind doing something over and over and over till he got what he wanted with what he had.

The keyboards that Prince had at his disposition at time were the Polymoog, Oberheim FVS1 and Oberheim 8. It's known that the stringy sound around 2min or so is the Polymoog, and I am not sure the OBs or Moog do a real clean Clavinet sound. Which is why I think it's probably his guitar through a pedal.

This was 78/79 and Price's Minneapolis sound was still being worked out. I think it was Lisa Coleman that got Prince pointed toward the digital starting with the OB-Xa which is the dominant sound in 1999 and the DX7 was added to the mix of OB-Xa and OB8 on Purple Rain. There is a lot Roland Keytars and the JP8 as Jimmy Jam, Flyte Time and Prince all kind of took cues from each other and hey it was the 80s.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

OB8 clav Arp Solina

6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I don't know about that, anybody that has heard him a'wailin away knows he was a great player. Gazillions saw him at halftime for his sermon and by the time that they had left they were all believers. In the crazy pouring rain I'm not sure how he wasn't electrocuted and the twins didn't crash land while dancing in that downpour.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

@Lois Lane

I love me some Prince Rogers on guitar. You just never really hear about how good he was too often.

The most overplayed Prince guitar solo eveah @ 3:20.

and even more - cause - it's Prince.

I am a Prince fan :) have been forever.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  8. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Actually Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis left The Time because they wanted to write their own music but Prince wouldn't let them. Prince wrote most of the music for the people he had on his label.
    Flyte Time was a studio they started after they left The Time.
    When i was at Paisley Park in the 90's I saw a lot of Roland gear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I don't understand.

I didn't insinuate anything different, or even go into any of that so I am confused.

Can you explain what you mean, maybe my English game is getting weak after a few beers or my brain has turned to rocks but I am still confused as shit.

10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Uh...
    Prince wrote and played all The Time stuff, and then Morris would copy the vocal. I have most of Prince's original versions. Flyte Time was not Prince's.
    So they took cues from Prince.
    Prince Rogers Nelson, btw.

11. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

So we are having a pissing contest because Prince wrote their songs which has what to do exactly with what gear one puts in his hands. Everybody looks at what the guy is playing and then if they like it they get some shit like it.

What does this have to with keyboards, which is what am talking about. Who the fuck is talking about songwriting, we are talking about keyboards and gear.

BTW I personally don't think Prince was tied to any specific brand of anything once he had money, every brand and every make pretty much made in a record or on stage though Morris Hays loves Roland gear and you can see racks and racks of it on every interview he's ever done, I don't see what this had to with 1979 when that shit just didn't exist.

Flyte Time the band ran from 1971 or 1972 to 1980 and was part of a whole group of funk and rnb artists that contributed to the Minneapolis sound. Just because they went to work for Prince who blew up in 79 doesn't mean he told them what to carry around or which way to pack their junk in their pants.

Flyte Time the studio doesn't even come out until 1987/1988. What does this have to with 1978?

I got a buzz on so

12. Smoove Grooves

13. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Yep same sentiment here. Still don't get it, but whatever.

Still confused as shit, with a bit of buzz, and we are talking.

Not trying to turn this into something it's not like every other thread degenerates into.

14. Smoove Grooves

I'm sure you'll get it in the morning. No worries. :wink:

15. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Maybe. I am going to continue drinking for now.

I don't get how gear crossover from a band that ran in the same circles in 78/79 and didn't become, The Time until after 1980 has anything to do with a band or a studio & Label that didn't pop up until almost 8 years later when cats fell out with each other.

I'll come to look tomorrow and I probably still will not get it.

Feel free to let me in on the secret in the meantime though, I'll be back tomorrow. I might learn something and be grateful for the lesson if it is relevant and not some tangent that has nothing to do with what the tread is about, I will wholeheartedly thank you for making me less ignorant tomorrow than I am today.

16. liquidlove

liquidlove Ultrasonic

I always thought that particular sound was a Clavinet. It has that plucky pickup sound. Played through a Phaser.

This song came out in '79 (and was probably recorded in '78), so it's definitely not a DX7, Juno-60 or an OB8 - those didn't even exist!

It's easy to mistake this song as an 80's Prince song, though. I always thought this song was wayyy ahead of its time. It's from 1979, but sounds like it could be from the boogie era of 1982-1983 - at least four years later... And I feel like the entire French House genre is basically based on this song.

Also, Prince was a preset hound - he rarely if ever programmed anything. This has been verified by other (like Dr. Fink) as well, if I recall correctly. And he definitely used the "gear of the day" - which in those days would've been Clavinets, CP70 electric stage grands and early synths.

Are you confusing The Time (the band) and Flyte Tyme? The latter, as said earlier, was Jam & Lewis' production studio's name.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

You are a 100% right.

I mis-typed OB8. It can't be an OB8 they don't come out until 83. In 79 it would be OB-1, OB-X.

Thank you for the correction. For some reason I had OB-8 on the brain yesterday while drinking.

No, I am not.

Before there was Flyte Time a studio and production house there was Flyte Time a band that played in the area. The studio and production house were named Flyte Time out of nostalgia as teenage high-school kids Jimmy Harris & Terry Lewis both were in Flyte Time.

That band also launched Cynthia Johnson who went on to do her own thing in the disco scene with Lipps Inc, and her replacement Alexander O'Neal formed ,Alexander, who is still working today and didn't too bad under under his own name. The rest of that band including the previously mentioned Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Monte Moir, Jellybean Johnson, made up the core of the band, The Time.

Somewhere I remember reading Jimmy Jam saying that in 80/81 after Prince had the record deal and was now large that members of the band Flyte Time including O'Neal met with Prince and Morris Day at a Perkins to talk a record deal. Prince and O'Neal didn't get along. O'Neal fucked off and was replaced by Morris Day a high school friend and the Drummer for Prince's first band Grand Junction. Morris Day until that moment had been a drummer and never upfront as the lead singer. A new band called The Time was formed under the Prince - W/B label as the time in 1981.

All these cats went to the same high school, seems crazy right, until you remember segregation and that Minneapolis was probably 3 percent or less black. They all pretty much lived in same area, ideas, instruments, hairstyles and cues about fashion, sound and whatever else went in all directions to people in the scene.

Now that I am sober. I still don't understand what the fuck is going on.

I love to learn and I share freely, so if I am in error somewhere in previous posts, please do correct me.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

That's his DAW's stock plugins. Use your ears. :break:

19. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

After that I bet he wasn't any longer invited to play in any reindeer games. Tom Petty didn't seem overjoyed though Dhani popped a great smile at one point.

20. anthony doyle

anthony doyle Kapellmeister

Hi, thanks for all the responses. This song seems to have generated a lot of interest. It makes sense that there would be a lot of prince fans on the forum. So based on what people are saying: Hohner d6 clavinet with phaser pedal for the funky part.

Here is George duke playing his d6 clavinet. Sounds amazing at 6.12.

The chords part can't be (dx7 or roland juno 6, 60 , 106 )All released too late in the eighties. Thanks for that info liquidlove.

Lead part could be minimoog ?

Heres what it says about the album prince on guitarcloud.
    The album features the same keyboards as For You. Based on Dr Fink's list of Prince's keyboards these were an Oberheim 4 Voice, a Moog Polymoog 203a, a Moog Minimoog, an Arp Pro Soloist, an Arp String Ensemble, a Hohner Clavinet, a Fender Rhodes and an acoustic piano.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  21. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Best Answer