Prime Studio Acustica powered plugins?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by returnal, May 25, 2017.

1. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Came across a shoutout for this Caribou Mix plugin in a Gearslutz Acustica Audio thread. I've never even heard of the company before. They claim their plugins are Acustica powered (Core9 for the Black Series bundle), so I'm slightly intrigued ... but curious if anyone here has any first hand experience with the company and their plugins before I use up (or waste) some time installing and testing a demo version. For the price they better be freakin' awesome.

https://primestudio.at/magento2/index.php/plugins.html

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Holy moly - is there truly a completely under-the-radar Acustica-based plugin manufacturer out there?!? :woot:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

It has a few followers and a lot of love on AA forum. Specially Caribou and Black bundle. The latest is indeed core 9 so it should be good, I'm not sure about Caribou. I have Charly, their freebie, it's nice.
    It's the real deal (even on Charly installer, it's the same as AA, their logo is on it), officialy endorsed by AA (it's their tech inside) and all, but I haven't had yet the time to demo their different models. Was actually also hoping that a few people who tried those would be on our forum to share their feelings about them.

5. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I think I'm afraid to demo them because of the price… What if I love them?!?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

:rofl:It's kind of my hesitation too tbh ! There is always a risk with AA tech. That Caribou comp looks glorious, but cost freaking more than 200$, and the bundle goes at 400 :woot:. I mean the mix pack at AA goes "only" at 260$ and it includes three terrific and different emulations (SSL, API and Amek) declined in 9 components...
    The plugins look fantastic, but their price policy is a bit too much, it's not like there isn't any alternatives out there. Well, granted, no one offers the same model, well maybe a few libraries in Nebula 3.

7. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Yeah, I got curious at first but having looked at the prices I think I'm now just going to unsubscribe from my own thread and pretend I never heard of them in the first place.

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

9. sideshowtmc

sideshowtmc Producer

They licensed the tech from acustica a couple years back, the sparkle bundle is amazing. Just wish it would get updated.

10. returnal

returnal Rock Star

11. TW

TW Guest

That free one is really nice on the master bus. Heavy colour but i really like it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I think its meant to be used on groups and individual busses, like real summing. Hit the drums and bass a little harder, etc

"Heavy Colour" Thats a perfect song/album name. Mine was "Karmic Null" Like if you had a checkered past and are doing all the good you can just so your soul can break even. LoL

Charly is nice tho, for taking the digital out of the digital. Its found its way on to my group busses so far. But just lightly caressing them. Im scared to push em too hard at this stage. You already know the routine. Crank it till you like it then back it off some. The "mantra" for all plugins, because the accumulation of the effects, and especially the comps and limiters at the mastering stage are going to bring it all out even more (too much?).

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

In case you missed this....

Quote from the description
    "Also I show this as a concept, as I only use the plugins on a stereo mix and not on busses as you normally would in a summing scenarios, but the utilization is the same."

14. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Wooow. Haven't heard of this? This technology of almost true analog in your pc exists more 10 years, and this is popular as Fabfilter, softube, waves, uad, plugin alliance, izotope, etc. Sampling technology they offer (acustica audio Nebula + libraries, acustica audio acqua plugins) are more close to analog than almost all existing digital emulations technologies. But high cpu and ram use and hdd space.
    Core 9 is older than Core X.

15. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. Acustica I've been aware of for many years, it's just this specific Prime Studio plugin maker (using the Acustica technology), that I had never heard of before.

16. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Hmmmm ... and here I am looking for a band name ...

17. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Clear it with @TW But if hes cool with it Heavy Colour™ lol

18. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Thanks for that. Some nice colours there. I'll definitely check out Charly as it's in my price range.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. dondada

dondada Rock Star

In case you missed that II ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  20. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I've just been testing Charly. Thanks @returnal for the heads up. It's a nice, subtle gelling effect. For the price, another AA-powered plug can't be beat :mates:. It's set about to demo their bigger offerings.

21. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Let us know your thoughts!