Pretty sure my Internal ssd is dead. Whats the best , inexpensive 1tb pci for MBP?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by CharlieCrizzle, Aug 1, 2020.

1. CharlieCrizzle

CharlieCrizzle Kapellmeister

So i started CCC as i went to bed to clone the clone. I woke up to an error message saying The destination volume was not available when CCC attempted to run this backup task.... Also got a few error messages about bitwig application support files being "too long". However when i tried to boot up on it, success!!! I just opened ableton and what took 5 minutes on the HD was about the normal load time as when on the internal ssd. I can live with this until i can buy another internal. Hopefully i dont encounter any bullshit due to whatver the error from CCC was indicating.

2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

So perhaps this is a 1TB disc? So you are around 20% free, depending on formating etc. This should have been just about okay.
    Depends if you did lots of writes and deletions to it really. Hopefully you record to an external too.
    You are the one who said you were confused. I was quoting you. Best always be truthful.
    My comment that you initially quoted received two likes. Yet you failed to understand it, and imply I did it deliberately? :hahaha:
    My explanation that you insisted on calling me out for (why?) also received a like.
    So it would seem at the moment that it is just you with the problem.
    Especially since you have insulted a fellow member, which is 2 warning points coming up.

3. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Excuse me for anticipating @r4e s response.
    But I have a very clear opinion on this topic: I would never trust the automatic updates of such an important component. Reason: Samsung has already managed in the past to destroy existing SSDs with an automatic firmware update. If you do this kind of irresponsible nonsense once, I'm confident that you can do it a second time.
    If at all, then only a firmware update after several weeks without any problems on the market. But best only if it removes real errors/problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

What I am really "calling you out for" is implying that my desire for clarification on your post is "random wants."

"I get confused that they don't print smiley faces on sheet music for my favourite keys, but this is my problem and I can't blame them for not adhering to my random wants."

I was respectful and you were disrespectful.

5. Smoove Grooves

No, I meant you initially called me out to explain something that I had written because it confused you.
    I bothered to explain it, and then you told me how I should have written it!
    I see that as disrespectful!
    This is not disrespectful. It is a humorous way of telling you that you shouldn't tell me, retrospectively! (pointless...unless trolling?) how I should write so that you understand it! It's disrespectful.
    Others understood my comment, enough to like it.
    And if insulting a member isn't disrespectful, I don't know what is? :deep_facepalm:

6. Smoove Grooves

Ah, but hang on. I've just thought.
    That was also your OS disk too?
    You shouldn't have gone that low I don't reckon. Not good.
    If it is a 1TB, there will be way less than 200GB available in that situation.

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

@Smoove Grooves , I get you won't like this and feel free to reply/downrate me but these last days you're being a pain in the ass starting arguments for no reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. Smoove Grooves

You should try reading the thread, and try empathy.
    Then you may see more than you do.
    @Xupito When a member calls for you to die, or gives various insults, these are against the site rules.
    I wil stand my ground as much as I like, thanks!
    But obviously death implications hidden in sly English, and derogatory terms used as insults are not your forte, or are fine in your eyes.
    That's why you aren't a mod.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Thoroughly read with full empathy, that's why I criticized you and I mostly agree with @DoubleTake
    I won't be a mod even if they pay me, may god release me from that :rofl:

PS. Knock yourself out and report me too while you're at it. See... this is why I won't ever be a mod :rofl:

10. Smoove Grooves

Why? You haven't thrown derogatory insults at me as has DoubleTake. That's a 2 point warning for DT right there, calling me a dickhead several times.
    I called someone an idiot after them calling me a fool. We both got 2 points.
    Now they are 'Pending Deletion', and as such will reincarnate with a new account.
    Only people here for the duration can be trusted to be nice.

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Because I know you and I don't play along. Remember our last PM conversation.

You have insulted implicitly DT plenty before him.
    And I'll say more... if DT gets a warning:
    I won't leave Asex
    :rofl:

12. Smoove Grooves

Yes. I asked for help to do with uploading to the sister site. No, you don't know me! There has been no other conversation, folks!
    If that was meant as offensive & what you think I should report, carry on learning English.
    Your quote = equals "I am finding you (me) irritating". And that is not insulting to me, so I hear you. It's your ass. But I will not abuse the ratings system due to you talking about your ass again!
    I have not insulted anyone. Is your English the best it can be? You crack me up.

13. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Speaking of SSDs: you can expand your SSD's lifetime if you disable writing of internet cache to the disk and instead use the ram only. Browsing the web creates a lot of tiny files and write acceesses to the disk which on a SSD can shorten it's life span. It's pretty easy to set up in Firefox:

Open about:config
    Set browser.cache.disk.enable to false
    Set browser.cache.memory.enable to true
    Create a new integer called browser.cache.memory.capacity and set it to -1 (lets firefox dybanmically determine the amount of RAM used for cache)

This also increases loading speed and snappyness of browsing. Been using it for years now.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Smoove Grooves

How slow is it?
    edit: Sorry! :deep_facepalm: I see you meant decreases loading times?!

15. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I meant it increases speed/decreases loading times, sorry. ;)

16. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Thats absolutely fine. Was at work so I didn't even have time to respond.
    I also wouldnt update the firmare if the SSD just runs fine. Tbh, I never updated the firmware on any of my SSD's
    and I had no problems doing it like that.
    Thats a pretty nice tip! Thanks for that!!

17. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Well, I cite the "First Blood" statute (ref 'Washington V Rambo').
    I was having flashbacks to some of your previous posts.
    I think the court will find me not guilty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

You're welcome.
    That's why I was so reluctant in doing it. As long the SSD works as it is now, I won't update firmware.
    I had bad experiences with factory suggested/solicited firmware updates, even if they were not for SSD.

19. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

You're welcome too, of course, I won't update as suggested.