Pressure is us

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Judge Dredd, Jul 22, 2018.

1. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Thanx Judge. :\

2. Recoil

Recoil Guest

Nice song, maybe you should sing without Vocoder :speaker::cheers:

3. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

As this is the first time I've heard your stuff, I had no idea that the vocoder wasn't part of the song's actual sound! It's the first time I've actually heard somebody use that effect on a rock-type song (usually, it's R&B, electronic, pop, rap, etc.), but it somehow fit the song and worked ... at least, for me. I get not wanting to hear your own voice in terms of working on your own music, even though Melodyne and audio manipulation inside of any DAW now gives you the ability to fix damn near anything. I gave up after five minutes of recording and comping a vocal take, twenty years ago, and never recorded myself singing again. These days, I use the threat of me having to re-sing a track's verse, bridge or chorus to re-demonstrate what I'm going for any time a vocalist continually fucks up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Mate, I actually enjoyed this. It definitely has its downs for me. The drums aren't loud enough and the bass is almost non-existent but I like the song. I like where you were going with this. I hope you turn this into a full song with a better sounding mix. I'm digging the tune. It sounds like it could be in a vintage Sci-Fi video game. Kinda reminds me of some of my older stuff but I took those down years ago (I was never satisfied with anything I made back then, unlike now where I at least kinda feel proud of myself when I finish a song or a draft of a song lol).
    Also, if you like vocoders, I'd check out iZotope's Vocal Synth 2 if you haven't done so already. It's got some good presets in there, in my opinion.

Again, this is all my opinion. This song has potential. I just think it needs to be redone. This copy is "demo" material.

Also I don't follow a lot of people on Soundcloud but I followed you. :mates:

As for the other things in this thread, I hope that we can disagree on things without it being an argument. Peace and love, folks. Peace and love. :hug::cheers:

5. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

I wish that were possible. Sadly it's not.

Yep, total demo, rendered after couple of hours at it, the first ad libbed vocal version, as it were. Plenty been done to it since I posted, still lots to more to do.
    When I'm done enough to satisfy myself I'll post it on soundcloud on Dredd's account, or if it's finished enough, The Al1en's.

6. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

I keep saying it, but my voice is so bad, even Melodyne won't make it right :rofl:
    I like the effect, so that's good. The work is trying to get it more legible. Compression and eq helps, as does getting a nice clean signal to start with. I'll experiment with using an external synth as carrier when I get the time.

7. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Just a thought... Ive never done this before but its worth a try...if you havent attempted it yet...

Duplicate your clean vocals to another track... Keep the vocoder effect on one and the other one remains clean... Play between the levels of the two... like you would do a send/ aux effect or parallel compression...

Mix to taste and stop just as soon legibility is lost and dial it back some...

Lemme know if you try this so i know whether to try it on my productions or not...:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I agree -- I think there's a way to do some sort of "parallel vocoder" where you can mix some of the unprocessed vocal back in, or at least have the processed and unprocessed tracks side-by-side and maybe do an extreme high-pass filter on the unprocessed track so you can hear the consonants better without losing the vocoder effect.

• List
  9. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Absolutely! Just described by @Kinghtsurfer. You can go a million ways from sunday on that one ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

My vocoder, like most I suspect, has a wet/dry mix control.I'm still not convinced by my natural voice.
    I'll have a look at the suggestions above and have a try out next day off I get.
    Thanks for the interesting ideas. :wink: