Pressure is us

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Judge Dredd, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Artists have often had an uneasy relationship with their critics. Artists usually need positive opinions from critics for their work to be viewed and purchased; unfortunately for the artists, only later generations may understand it.

PS:
    Art criticism is a much lower risk activity than making art, opinions of current art are always liable to drastic corrections with the passage of time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

Again, I've not asked for opinions, on this thread or any other, and never have. I know you made that up, but it's okay, and also as I've stated above I don't mind yours or others negative opinions. I'm too much or a realist to be sensitive.

I also think it's for the best if you bypass my threads, too. That solves the big issue you clearly have.
    Enjoy making a living with your music. Now that you don't have to waste time crapping over my threads, there's bound to be an extra tenner in your pay packet this week. lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Well, maybe just positive ones? =) anyway, difficult to know what anyone learns from constant, meaningless "cool track bro"...

4. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

You, started a discussion in "Our Music"..."I" discussed it in this thread. So when "YOU" start a discussion, expect things to be discussed. Besides...for someone that didn't want opinions, you sure got enough of them. I guess it must just be my opinion. Wasn't to your liking right? lol.

Lastly, I already said I added you to my ignore list just as I have did your friend Artwerski )I only un-added him to respond to his comment).

I have my own entertainment/record company now...at the price that you might find this arrogant (But after all your remarks) I must address that "Tenner"...Is that a cross between a Tenor and a Sinner? :rofl:Also.. I might be able to add more than a "Tenner", lol!

Have a nice life. (My last Response to you).

5. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

@babuk, I think there's a huge difference between "being critical" and "being a giant, dripping asshole", and hiding behind the "well, you just can't take honest criticism" defense doesn't excuse the latter. How was the song "unlistenable"? I managed to listen to it just fine, sounded decent to me. Seems like quite a few others managed to slog through it somehow as well. Maybe, instead of taking it to an extreme, you meant "in my opinion, which is no more or less valid than anyone else's, the song needs work"? All leaning into an absolute does is make it sound like you're trolling, and neither @Judge Dredd nor anyone else is gonna give a flying fuck what else you have to say after that. Lester Bangs you ain't.

Judge, first time I heard one of your pieces, great job! The mix sounded a little too hot (i.e. - midrange-y) on my headphones, which kind of -- to me -- clashed with your vocal processing, but that's a really minor quibble. The songwriting, arrangement and execution were great!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  6. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

Nope, not even just positive ones. I've never sought any, at all.

7. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

@Iggy Thanks for the listen and comment.

I wouldn't worry about any negative stuff, I don't, especially from 1 post newbs who may or may not be dupe accounts or those with scores to settle. :wink:

8. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

Always funny when someone has to tell you they're ignoring you :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

That looks a lot like Silent Sound Atlanta Upstairs ( TK ) Old office

• List
  10. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

ok ok I get it.. hey it's not top 10 night here right?
    and regrettably he does not feel his singing voice is up to the tasks
    so it is not a part of the mix...

however..

he definitely should continue honing his skills as a poignant and profound lyricist...

can I hear an A-men :hifive:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Okay. AMEN!

And an "Oh, man!" to @blaqmatic for allowing drinks on the pro grade console and then posting photo evidence of shocking studio etiquette.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Wouldn't that indicate the opposite? If it needs to be fixed (which I agree with) why would he stop and leave it this way? Only time you don't take it any further is when it is finished. Stopping here means it stays like this. :no: Or do you mean you won't comment further?

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

It has good merits to it. If you work it up it'll be great.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

This is a great song... Love the vocal melody and the overall direction the song is going in.

This is a work in progress... So, whenever you decide to make the final version, Id like to suggest the following (i know you didnt ask but even so... all my personal opinion... Feel free to disagree) :)

The guitars are way too loud and bright for the mix and distracting from what could be a brilliant vocal line... Maybe youd like to tame them a little... Also perhaps choose another tone for them... Something a little less distorted... Maybe just some fuzz on a clean tone...

The drums could use some variation... Right now they have just one groove playing continuously. Also some eq/compression/balancing to make them more upfront and groovy.

All in all this is a great start...and i look forward to hearing this after you've written the words and re recorded the vocals and remixed the track...

Awesome! :like::like::like:

15. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

Thanks for that @Kinghtsurfer

Of course personal opinions are okay, regardless of being unsought, but totally dismissed when used as justification for being a dick. I guess that's what this forum is and should be about, and I wouldn't want to harm that ideology.
    I agree with your suggestions and had already made some of them to my personal phone mix.
    Haven't got the ears for eq'ing the drums, so probably won't do that, but when writing I mostly just play to a static beat. The desired result is always fills and variation.

Good post. :wink:

16. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Thanks for posting your music! I don't listen to a lot of current stuff (and I'm a fairly old fart), so I wouldn't know what to compare it to, but when the vocals kicked in, I was instantly taken aback. After a second, I decided I really liked the vocoder(?)/synth effect and how it countered the alt-rock feel of the song. I don't think it needed that effect to work, as the song itself has a great melody and production, but adding that effect pushed it into different territory. Anytime somebody thinks differently, and especially when it works, it's pretty inspiring.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

That's really nice of you to post. Thank you.

As some who have read my music posts already know, the vocoder is the only way, without a singing voice, that I can give an impression of a vocal take.
    I've gotten use to it and think it as my own and an integral part of my sound, but I know for some it's a bug bear.
    That you think the song stands by itself is a great compliment.

18. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

@blaqmatic
    Yeah, I was over the top last nite. Just buried a friend who killed herself & I got really drunk. I apologise. Comments like that, however 'honest' or 'constructive' just trigger me hard. Judge has a great sound, yea the mix kinda sucks but the musics' good and out of the ordinary
    and I happen to like it A LOT.
    But for someone -obviously a platinum producer- to condescend like that is low and in my opinion lame and really unproductive. If you
    would have brought some advise, improvements and tips to the table while at it would have made all the difference...
    Nice studio pics. But pics don't play no music you know. Love to hear what you do though but I think I've got a pretty good idea who you are.
    Cheerio!

19. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

I very much doubt that .... ;) and btw I'm not someone from mamma's basement either. As you
    say, do your work. Its all in the description ... :winker:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

Sorry for your loss, friend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List