PreSonus StudioLive Series III 16R / 24R / 32R Digital Rack Mixer

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by StormChaser, Sep 15, 2023.

1. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Hi

Does anyone use the PreSonus StudioLive Series III Digital Rack Mixers?

Can they be used as a dedicated 16/24/32 channel audio interface?

Can they be used in other DAWs away from Studio One?

Whats the likliehood of a Series IV being released in the near future?

Studio One 6 is my DAW of choice but my current Audio Interface only has 8 physical inputs and am looking for something with more inputs and these came across my Radar.

Many thanks

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Should work fine for your stated purpose with, the added benefit of tight Studio One integration. The following video uses Ableton Live with the Studio Live Series III 32R.

This audio interface is truly massive! Because it’s a mixer! Presonus Studiolive 32R

4. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Perfect thank you so much.

Do you have one of the devices yourself, how do you find it?

5. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Yes, but you'll need to set it up in i/o.
    Yes, just use the usb as your i/o and you'll need to install drivers in you computer which will show up in your daw.

6. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Are they worth the money I am limited on space but on paper it sounds ideal, 32 inputs, records to SD card, and mixer controls etc from within the UC app.

Are you pleased with your?

Do you think a v4 will be on the cards any time soon?

Many thanks

7. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

I have the 32R version. The sound is clean. If your limited on space this would be ideal for you.

I've never recorded on to SD card. I prefer the USB out for multitrack recording. The UC control can be a bit tricky to set up but stick to the manual and you should be good. Always use a decent wifi unit otherwise you'll get dropouts.

Is it worth it? for the price, yes. Plus it has so many features in it. Check it out here.

I have no idea if or when v4 will be coming out.

8. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Thank you Havana

I have ordered the 24R for delivery tomorrow, I would have gotten the 32R but nowhere had one in stock. If I like the 24R then I’ll order a 32R as well which will be more than enough inputs with them combined.

I did see it can be connected to WIFi but I am hoping the Ethernet works too. I upgraded my iPad to the 2TB iPad Pro 12.9 M2 last week so looking forward to using that with it.

9. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Ethernet works fine but the disadvantage is that you can only connect 1 controller with ethernet. With wifi you can have 2 or 3 ipads connected.

Also check that the latest firmware is installed.

10. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

I have downloaded the most recent firmware, updating that will be the first thing I do.

so my studio is CAT5 hard wired and on the same network is a Wireless Router would the iPad be able to see the StudioLive 24R being that they are on the same LAN or do I need a dedicated Wireless AP plugged directly into the back of the 24R?

My iPad sees my Studio One 6.2 just fine.

which router do you use?

Looks like Presonus only recommends one a TP Link TL-WR1043ND which nowhere seems to sell it anymore.

11. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Well not a great start at all, the manual is useless.

I have updated the firmware on the 24R and installed the latest Universall Control on PC and UC Surface on my iPad.

I have put the device in to Interface Mode which I read was needed so it can be used as an audio interface.

Studio One 6.2 doesnt see the device, I can see installing the Universal Control application it has added loads of Presonus Drivers for Audio Interfaces but everyone says

The audio device for StudioLive Series III could not be inititated. Please check your hardware configuration

On my iPad when I launch UC Surface everything is greyed out apart from one settings screen where you enter the password, then after the password has been entered only the Device Permissions lights up, everything else is greyed out even all the mixer channels etc. Cant even click on anything.

In my Device Manager all drivers are installed, I did manually have to install one Presonus driver but that was sitting in the Universal Control folders.

Watched 2 videos I found but god know what version of Studio One they are using cause the options they clicked on looks nothing like my v6.2

The audio driver I selected was Studio Live Series III (tried then all to be fair) even though the picture in Studio One is a Mixer and not what the Studio Live 24R looks like, but even selecting that I get the above message The audio device for StudioLive Series III could not be inititated. Please check your hardware configuration

The Lights on the 24R are

Power=Blue
    Control=Blue

Any suggestions

12. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Everything is greyed out until you select a template from settings. Like LR for Left and Right

Control blue means your connected.

13. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

So I have most things sorted now but one thing.

In analog inputs 1/2 (stereo pair) I have plugged in my ASM Hydrasynth Deluxe, on the UC software for the Channel 1/2 under input I have set this to Analog and then I hear my Hydrasynth playing, but this then stop me hearing the audio from my PC, I then changed the input 1/2 to USB I can then hear my DAW audio but cannot hear my ASM Synth anymore.

I have tried setting an unused channel to USB putting back channel 1/2 to input analog I cant hear the PC anymore but can hear my Hydrasynth again.

How do I set it so I can hear the analogue inputs as well as my DAW plugins together?

I have created an audio track in my DAW for the Hydrasynth but either I hear the DAW or the Hydrasynth depending what input is set too

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

You need to have your DAW set to allow Input Monitoring. That is what allows you to hear the incoming sound from the Hydrasynth output coming into the interface input while the DAW is playing. You shouldn't have to Record Arm the channel with the Hydrasynth audio going to it, but you can check that too. You need a new audio channel for anything coming into the DAW from the Hydrasynth's analog outputs. Also, do not forget the Hydrasynth does not send any audio over USB connection.
    • SB (USB MIDI In/Out) and MIDI IN/OUT/THRU

15. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

So just to reiterate I have the Presonus Studiolive 24R Rack Mount mixer which is running in Interface Mode using it with Studio One 6.2.

I have created a MIDI Track in Studio One going out to the Hydrasynth USB MIDI, monitor is on, I have also created an Audio track whos input is set to Hydrasynth.

My Hydrasynth is plugged in to line input 1/2 on the Presonus Studiolive 24R Rack Mount mixer.

In the Univeral Control software channels 1&2 have been linked as a stereo pair.

In the Univeral Control software for me to be able to hear the Hydrasynth I need to change the input for channels 1&2 to Analog, then I can hear my Hydrasynth but doing this now stops me from hearing any softsynth plugins from my DAW.

Chaning the input for channels 1&2 to USB now allows me to hear my softsynth plugins from my DAW but I can no longer hear the Hydrasynth. Its almost as if USB DAW audio is automatically routed to inputs 1&2 even though I have a dedicated synth plugged into these inputs.