Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 USB does it worth in 2022?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by nenemalo, Aug 1, 2022.

1. nenemalo

nenemalo Noisemaker

Hi guys,
    Interested in purchase this mixing console for studio use (recording VST's, voice, bass and guitar) working with Studio One and some occasional live use with my band. I have mixed feelings so I don't pull the trigger yet because of that. Some people talks great things about this machine as it works perfectly, it's easy to operate and understand and a great and economic option (888€ just now in Spain) giving the higher prices of other digital consoles in the market, but I have read a lot of complaints about the reliability as well, the problematic and old DSP, malfuntions, short life span, etc. I'm not sure the 16.0.2 USB is even the same machine as the classic 16.0.2 firewire or it has any improvement/update in the hardware with regard the first generation.
    The new ones Studiolive 32, 32S, 32SC, 32SX are in a different league and a better choice for sure, but sadly out of my price range too.
    What do you think? Do I take the risk? Maybe an even cheaper Studiolive AR16C for 588€ would suit me well for VST working at least with a couple of MIDI controllers at home?
    Thank you so much for your imputs

Attached Files:

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I would think about how many channels you really need first.

I looked on SW vendor website at the older one. I honestly do not know what to think about it. It has a 3.0 star rating, and negative comments left on their webpage (wether bs or not). And they are still selling them. So this is a first for me. Normally, they remove them so naturally I am suspicious. :guru:

:rofl:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  4. pcdocstl

pcdocstl Member

Frankly, I applaud vendors that leave all of the dark negative comments warranted or not and will never trust a vendor that thumbs the scale to their advantage.

To OP I would suggest looking at it like this, if it does MOST of what you need it to do out of box, uses the software / workflow you require, and plan on upgrading within the PreSonus ecosystem then the only thing you have left is to negotiate a price that screams 'Take Me Home'. Price negotiation is very key, and you would be surprised at just how many vendors are willing to give you something to make a sale, be it free shipping or stripping the tax. Also look for open box or display items as they carry the same manufacturer warranty, and most places will allow you to return items directly to store if problems arise within 60 to 90 days from date of purchase. There's always used, but I would only suggest that route to those with more experience or wishing to gain additional experience in the product their purchasing.

These days you aren't just buying a mixing board as each manufacturer has carefully crafted and copyrighted an ecosystem with an equally produced and copyrighted workflow complete with their own trademarked jargon to describe functions, which is why it is so important to pick one and stick with it until they go down the toilet. Then go out and do it all over again knowing that you'll be learning it all over again! There is nothing worse than buying an ecosystem at the very end of it's product lifecycle because it has a BLOWOUT price, then a short 6 months later the well has dried up and nothing is compatible with it anymore. PreSonus has produced some excellent hardware and make a damn fine piece of software in Studio one with a very intuitive workflow. Their recent purchase by Fender Instruments and subsequent new innovative product releases has me convinced that PreSonus will be a player for the long haul. Add to that the fact that used PreSonus gear hold their value extremely well when it's time to upgrade, and you'll find that you could do a lot worse with your hard-earned cash!

That may seem like a lot to take in, but if you educate yourself and do your homework then you will come out WAY ahead of those that didn't and will enjoy your purchase for many years going forward.

5. nenemalo

nenemalo Noisemaker

Thank you so much mates. Truly interesting your comments pcdocstl. I need about 12 channels in a reliable and easy to operate machine within the Studio One ecosystem, but usually I do some things in Ableton.
    I'm almost convinced to buy it so there isn't much to choose from with these features, but I'm terrified that it will give me a lot of problems in the end. Many people talks about the 16.0.2 USB is a somewhat archaic design with a 10 years old DSP embedded and not very well built overall, others states that have found El Dorado in it... who knows! :dunno:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022