PreSonus Studio One Pro 3.5 update with major features

Discussion in 'Software News' started by mild pump milk, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Riansky

Riansky Kapellmeister

Agree, that "pultec eq" is a harmony to my ears. I think I like it more than UAD version. And that this is free with s1 is harmony to my ears as well. Lovin' the update so far.

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I guess it will ultimately resolve my dilemma if that keeps going :rofl:

3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I just installed it and tried the only song i did in S1. I get maybe 2% better cpu handling, not much is going on. Maybe others will report better results :dunno:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  4. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

No joy, means? :(
    I trust what you say!

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Test it, maybe you get better results.

6. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

When I tested it I opened a project from the previous version of S1 that was using nearly full CPU. I was immediately getting CPU spikes in this version at the same buffer rate. However, this was with that Dropout Protection set to "Low". I discovered when using what would be a full CPU load of plugins in the previous version it's a must to have the Dropout Protection set to "High" or "Maximum" in this version. The difference that's better with this version is I'm able to set the buffer as low as 16 samples, 3ms round trip, and the CPU hit stays the same as it is at 64, 128, 512, etc. So they did do something right when they implemented this feature.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Just tried it and seems to be correct. You can set the latency lower with less or no dropouts.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Did you try it with the dropout protection on?

Just tried it at maximum and my CPU dropped to 0% at idle when it was previously 20-25% as you know, so they definitely did something! :woot:

Not really run it through it's paces yet though and that will have to wait til tomorrow for me.

upload_2017-5-24_0-36-27.png

upload_2017-5-24_0-36-17.png

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  9. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

I've noticed two fails in console:

1. No more Trash Bin
    2. Options > Audio Setup > Processing > Enable low latency for instruments (enabled) causes : effect (FabFilter Pro-L) in the Master Channel (insert or post fader) is bypassed when the sound is coming from an instrument track (Spire) but not from an audio track, and it happens even if "Enable low latency monitoring" (the "Z" button under the fader) is off (gray instead of green).

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

For info, Studio One Expert have now released their lengthier 'what's new' video...

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  11. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

More convenient would be to select in the History panel things that you want to undo (if you don't select anything, then the last change will be undo no matter which it was).

12. somethin

somethin Member

It's not that easy from programming standpoint, think of all the possible conflicting undo actions. Actually, I'm not sure how would that even work at all.

13. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Hold on, implementing UNDO on daw parameters is stealing from Cubendo?
    That's simply a standard feature S1 didn't have yet so I wouldn't call "stealing" implementing something that other daws already had. It's like saying a car manufacturer decided to implement AC in their cars in 2017, that's not "stealing ideas", but just reasonably useful functions implementation.
    But in the end who cares, as you said the user is the winner, and I personally am really happy about this update, and how PreSonus managed to get in touch with their customers' community.

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

CPU was the issue that always kept me from giving this DAW a serious try (I came from REAPER). Ive made a couple songs in it and love the features. But I need a new PC before I can make this "my only DAW"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Yeah that's quite strange and disappointing, the trash bin saved my life quite few times.

• List
  16. TW

TW Guest

After a quick test S1 seems to be the same old cpu inefficient daw.
    I did not notice a better cpu/vst performance.

Seems they added a second or better a hybrid audio engine something like samplitube have. So yes the monitoring latency is awesome! But the vst cpu usage performance did not change. Or lets say, it is not huge improved. For me ...

But never the less the whole package is a great update from Presonus. For free!!! Steinberg would have charged you 100 bucks for such an update :yes: and called it 10.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

0.5 updates are 50 bucks and you get a daw that can use your hardware like it is supposed to in 2017.

18. TW

TW Guest

I know i just meant the content is huge. Steinberg would not give you so much content for a 0.5. An audio engine revision in .5 cubase ? no no no thats a big thing. You can make real money with that ;)
    Cubase (9) will be still my main daw. But you know the competitors are catching up!

Main issue of s1 is still the vst performance. Like i said its still bs. At least for me. Compared to cubase and reaper.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Because now your deleted instruments recorevs immediately. And you don't have to go to trash bin and recover it manually. This is actually how proper undo supossed to work.

For audio files you still have audio pool.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yes, but you also get a killer synth with cubendo ( retrologue 2) and its native plugins are great ( magneto, etc).
    Sonar offers the most in terms of content, but S1 is a much needed competition, pacing has changed now, companies compete who will offer more to its users which means we have to wait less time for certain options or optimizations to appear in our daws, which is great.
    I like S1 hence why i keep checking whats new.