PreSonus Studio One new obfuscated plans

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by tzzsmk, Apr 3, 2024.

1. shinjiya

shinjiya Producer

That's exactly what I think will happen. They're giving you a license for less than half of the price of getting it WITHOUT the subscription. Makes no sense unless there's a catch, and I don't think that catch is the fact that the subscription is so good you'll keep it forever.

I believe they will start releasing major versions every year, just so you don't have time to unsub. Got your free license? Then now sub for the next version or get stuck with outdated software, loser. No upgrades either, only for the other losers who paid $400. That's what I think will happen. Studio One always had a 2-year update cycle until the next version, but if they're dropping it to 1 year, you're still spending less than buying a $400 license, but more if you already had one to upgrade. Once you get stuck with the non-upgradeable perpetual license from the sub, the logical choice will be to pay for the next year instead of dropping $400, and that's how they get everyone stuck with a sub that seemed too good to be true.

Sadly, the only thing we can do is to wait and see what happens, because I'm positive they won't say anything. S7 will drop this year and most likely S8 will drop next year, that's my bet.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. LpHelix75

LpHelix75 Member

I will stick with R2R. When I'm forced to no longer use studio one, I guess I'll try Bit Wig.

3. rasape

rasape Noisemaker

I think it's the right time that I switch to Reaper...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

Same, they lost me when they stopped accepting Paypal as paying option for the monthly payment, hell, they even made sure it was gotten of the "rent to own" option at Splice. If this wouldn´t have been the case, I´d still use S1.

So, after a quick Intermezzo with Cubase, I went on to Reaper. Best decision I made.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List