PreSonus Studio One new obfuscated plans

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by tzzsmk, Apr 3, 2024.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Studio One+ Hybrid - The best way into Studio One Pro.

You can always purchase Studio One's complete edition software, Studio One Pro, as a standalone perpetual license—or to get the most out of Studio One, we offer Studio One+, a subscription service that includes access to Studio One Pro and a host of additional tools, content, and features.

Now is the perfect time to join Studio One+ as our annual subscription offering is now a Hybrid plan that also includes a perpetual license to Studio One Pro. Welcome to Studio One+ Hybrid. :cool:

https://www.presonus.com/en/studio-one-plus-hybrid.html?dc

[​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

nah .. not a really good idea this!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Avid did this.... and it did not go so well. Time for me to look into a new DAW.

5. Semarus

Semarus Producer

I thought Avid nixed the perpetual altogether, and later brought it back after the backlash.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

No matter what way they try to present such a thing to their users, you know this is some intended increase in revenue for them.

Is their "per month" content (beyond your existing version) going to be worth the ~$15 bucks a month to the user? I think I would pick a different subscription for the money like UVI or UAD, etc. but that depends on their content.

7. shinjiya

shinjiya Producer

Hybrid is not that bad if you only need the DAW. The caveat here is that they're hoping the extra stuff will make you sign up for the next year, otherwise there would be no reason to offer the perpetual Pro license for less than half of the price if you sign up to the annual plan at least once.

My biggest fear, though, is that Studio One might become an annual major release. 7 this year, 8 next year, you get the idea. That's the trap that will make me keep pirating it or switch back to Reaper. I was heavily considering going fully legal, but I'll hold on and wait.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

I'm not a Studio One user, but all these subscriptions really get on my nerves.

9. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

The history of corporate greed is it's only a matter of time until Studio One is sub only too.

10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I'm no "sub"sciber, no, I don't subscribe to that notion. I guess that they brought on a new business consultant who has ""cred"entials who subscribes to that newfangled philosophical idea that "you'll own nothing and be happy" kind of thing. I couldn't be less so.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

How long has it been since they were acquired by Fender? A year or two maybe. That's long enough for some executive with it on a spreadsheet to start cooking up stupid ideas about it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  12. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

great movie "network" need to watch that again.
    "Get Mad" remix dubstep

13. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

kinda like reason studios too
    ableton wont need any subscription plans if he keeps launching new versions every year, pretty much an annual subscription

we're left with reaper, fl and bitwig (?)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. karatebaka

karatebaka Member

bitwig is $399 and only include 12 month of free updates. and an additional 12-month upgrade plan is $169. It's somewhat similar to what presonus is introducing, except bitwig is more expensive.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Emma Evi

Emma Evi Member

There is also a thread on this on the official forum.
    They also silently no longer offer the addons for sale, instead you need to subscribe.
    Presonus seams to be more interested in making money than fixing bug.
    Looks like I am slowly fading out the use of StudioOne.

Or Logic if one is using macOS

16. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

damn it always this money!

You can’t take it with you, but you can forward it ahead, so if we lay up treasures here on earth, what good is it? It’s all going to be burned up anyway

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. hansje

hansje Member

This is IMO a disgusting move by Presonus / Fender. As a legit S1 pro user for years, I will NOT join the trap of subscriptions, no matter how they call or present it.

18. Edna_Uebel

Edna_Uebel Member

Times are tough and things are getting more expensive. The DAW market is very competitive. Companies such as Steinberg and Magix have halved the price of their "premium" DAWs in recent years. This suggests that customers are no longer willing to spend any amount of money on a DAW. Even the pros are no longer so flush with cash. (Especially as the future will bring big changes in the field of audio editing through AI.) Subscription models are therefore very popular because they provide companies with a reliable and predictable source of income.

But subscription models are usually not a good deal for the customer. You have to be constantly careful not to pay for a subscription that you no longer use (or hardly ever use). In addition, you are usually subject to an "online constraint": if the internet goes down or the company goes bankrupt, the subscription software suddenly becomes data garbage.

I'm also not convinced by the argument that you always have the latest version. I don't need every new feature. Real innovations are rare anyway.

What annoys me most is that many companies release their software with lots of bugs that are only gradually fixed by updates. To make matters worse, many companies now release new major versions every year and then stop updating the previous version. This means that even if you buy a single licence, you are effectively on a "subscription". If a company promises certain features, then it must provide free updates until everything works as promised. That's my opinion anyway.

19. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

and customers, especially individuals and freelancers, aren't really swimming in money either, to fund whining companies :chilling:

20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

As long as there is a perpetual option...

21. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

At present it's not very clear whether the "free" perpetual licence you get with their Hybrid sub can be upgraded with a paid upgrade at a later date. So when you stop the sub you keep the version you were on but can't pay to upgrade it later unless you restart the sub.