Presonus Studio One and True Peak

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Peek, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Peek

Peek Ultrasonic

Hi Guys, I did a test. In studio one 3.5.0 as well as 3.3.4, I did a mastering. My mastering chain ends with a maximizer that stops True Peaks and with a fixed ceiling -0.1 or -0.2.
    I did the same test on Protools 10.3.10 with the same identical mastering chain.
    The result is that Studio one passes true peaks (for example +1,04 +0,87) while on Protools the true peaks are all stopped at 0db (+0,02 + 0,04).
    This does not mean that Studio One sounds bad but the fact that letting go, on the summing Master bus, all those true peaks still condition me and forces me to use different settings on the maximizer. One thing I noticed is that even if I raise oversampling on the maximizer for example up to x 16, the situation does not change, or sometimes it gets worse.
    I claim that I have tried several brickwall limiter such as Ik-Multimedia Stealth, Izotope, DMG and even only the soft-clip Kazrog KClip with oversampling and ceiling -08 x8, x16, x32. Studio One always has the same behavior.
    Another engineer, my friend, told me that for example he found the same behavior on Reaper as confirming that Protools stops all true peaks correctly.
    I'd like to know if someone else has experienced this issue. If someone wants to make some considerations on the subject they will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx

3. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

1. Put an instance of FabFilter Pro-L on S1 main output (post-fader) set to 0dB. Be careful that the signal level doesn't exceed 0dB when Pro-L is bypassed (adjust the track channel accordingly)
    2. Set Pro-L "Gain" to 0dB, "Out" to -0,2dB, oversampling to 4, ISP to "ON" and no dithering
    3. Bounce your track
    4. Do the same with PT
    5. Compare the results with iZotope RX.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  4. wayne3

wayne3 Member

It seems to be a fresh BUG.:) I read about it on others boards...