Presonus Audiobox Noise Issue

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by lampwiikk, Mar 10, 2012.

1. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Hey all, just thought I'd pick some brains, I just got a Presonus Audiobox 44VSL to use for a portable/live setup on a laptop. When I plug it into my desktop, it sounds fantastic, running 2 1/4" cables out to a PA. The same setup off of the laptop sounds horrible! All kinds of electrical noise, every time the hard drive spins up, or processor really works it sounds so awful through the speakers, so I'm kind of bummed out, but was hoping someone might have some suggestions. I know that properly balanced cable might help, any other suggestions for isolating a USB connected audio interface?

3. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

Contact PreSonus and explain the situation -- or contact service at Sweetwater (or where ever you picked the device up)

4. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

i think i herd of this before from some DJ forums i think they were talking about some type of noise filter i know i had to get one from radio shack because i was getting a lot of hum from going from my dj mixer into my audio interface so i could recored some scratching on a song i did or grounding it some how i think its something like that

5. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Just came across this in my search, in case it might help someone else...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/computerproblems.htm

6. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

It sounds like a ground loop problem to me. Try isolating Each piece of gear with a Ground lift adapter on the AC plug until it stops. I run in to this all the time with live setups.

You may have to isolate several pieces of your set up, In extreme cases lift everything.

This should be one of the first things to try because the fix is cheap and easy.

Hope this helps. Lampwiikk has a bit of good info about ground loops.

7. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Yeah, it is just when the power supply adaptor is plugged in, running on battery it is fine, which should be ok for my needs, I won't be using it for hours at a time

8. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

If it only happens with the charger plugged in, then a ground lift adapter on the end of your power line will defiantly fix the problem for under $2.00.

Then you can make music nonstop for days on end. LOL