Prepare Logic Content for Windows and CAF to AIFF/WAV conversion

Discussion in 'Logic' started by nikon, Feb 10, 2013.

1. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Logic ESX24 has a great sampled instruments, but unfortunately my DAW is win OS so I can't get these instruments in an easy way.

I do a little experiment... I download LOGIC PRO 9 COMPLETE (aprox. 50Gb) and I use:

• logic pro 9.dmg
    • logic pro 9 additional content.dmg
    • logic pro jam 1.dmg
    • logic pro jam 2.dmg
    • logic pro jam 3.dmg

The easiest way to open DMG on WIN OS is believe or not 7Zip. Just open with 7z and you must a few archives open to get the original content... archive.pax.gzip -> archive.pax ... and after that you get the content...

* logic pro 9.dmg (7Gb) - there is a standard set of instruments, samples etc...

instruments can be found at path /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instruments Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/

There is a two folders:

• Sampler Files (samples, wav or aiff)
    • Sampler Instruments (EXS presets)

These two folders are important... So I copy these on dedicated folder d:\samples\logic pro content\

* logic pro 9 additional content.dmg (there is a mostly loops)
    * logic pro 9 jam 1.dmg to logic pro 9 jam 3.dmg (garage band, jams...) in these you can find
    - (instrumnents, loops) as separate archives
    - instruments path is the same as path described at top of text... (wav/aiff and EXS)
    - loops, which is in CAF format

After I copied everything in d:\samples\logic pro content\ I get complete instruments

Code:
    d:\samples\logic pro content\sampler instruments\ (exs)
    d:\samples\logic pro content\sampler files\ (samples)
    and I copied JAM loops in separate folders...

Code:
    d:\samples\logic pro content\Garage Band Loops\Rhythm Section\ (CAF's)
    1) Preparing instrumnets for Kontakt

Standard procedure, I use Kontakt 5, just load any of exs and search for samples, preset will be load and you can save it like nki... With just 3h I convert all the instruments in Kontakt format. I just get 7Gb of instruments folder.

(Somewhere you can find allready logic pro content for kontakt over internet but there is some problems with conversion so the samples are not real ?!?? I think... )

2) Converting CAF's to wav/aiff

This is the main reason of writing this :)

Five years ago, I convert CAF's with real trouble... with 5 software utility etc...

Now, I found great solution, just use Adobe Audition, it can read CAF's and can convert it too.

So, what's the deal with CAF's ????

CAF is Core Audio Format that is a file format for storing audio, developed by Apple Computer. The CAF file can store audio data as well as text annotations, markers, channel layouts, and other information. Similar to the QuickTime MOV file format. ...

... and I open thunder sample caf in Audition and I see this (see attachment file)

This is the 5.1 sound file :) and sounds great.

I convert it to AIFF because AIFF can keep all the settings and format of original file, but in finish is a lot bigger... 400 kb of thunder in caf is 130mb in aiff (so it's uncompressed).

Final thoughts

Maybe this post is stupid, but I think maybe can help someone in similar situations...

Cheers

Attached Files: