Preampus - The best Head that I ever had?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Neanderthal, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Member

Ok, like I'm really fed up with this best amp vst shit. Give me something that I can play live and it does not suck!, but don’t say Amplitube, or Revolver, or Bias, or TH3.
    Please give me something simple and with one amp with or without cabs. Oh yah, and there is the other thing- impulses. Trow me a bone, something I can start with, maybe what cab should I use for rock, blues, metal: which mic for what and the placemet on cap, cap edge or cone!?&%@##!........ Wow, I am done, so please feel free to ask me where I have been for the past 10 years and I am going to tell you that I live in the van down by the river........Mercuriall ReAxis sound really nice.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

line 6 helix

4. TW

TW Guest

For live playing?
    Kemper, line 6 helix.
    Simple, not bad sounding 1 amp and cap. Get a pedal sim. Sansamp - Tech 21 or one of the clones, if you want a cheap solution. Joyo - Harley Benton or whatever these things are labeled in your region.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2018
  5. Line 6 Helix...simple and sounds and plays close enough for the blues.

2 votes.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

For Metal, the most commonly used impulses are based on Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. They give a tone heavy on midrange which can really cut through the mix for Metal, but I don't really like it for Rock or clean sounds. Mesa Oversized and Marshall 1960A cabs are also popular. There are lots of great free impulse responses online, start with the GuitarHack pack and the Sperimental one. Micing is a whole different topic, SM57+Royer 121 is a pretty safe combination, but just choose the impulse that sounds best to you.

As for playing live: it really depends on your needs, what tone you want, what effects you use, how many different tones you switch in a gig, etc. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable using a vst in a live show, the best bet nowadays is Kemper or Axe FX, but if I had to I'd use Mercuriall U530 or TSE X50 for Metal, and Mercuriall Spark for Rock.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

One simple, fast and good sounding with a nice collection of cab IRs: TSE X50II.
    It's my go-to unless I really need fancy effects for a lead solo, for instance.

• List