Preamps

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Retrolize77, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Would not gain structure dictate the personality of any preamp? Just "pushing gain around 54" has no bearing on saturation as there is a dance between input, the gain and how any amp will react. For instance, a hotter signal would precipitate a lower gain setting to achieve a "creamy saturation" and a whisper of an input signal would necessitate cranking up the gain to compensate. Correct and apropos gain staging can only achieve the desired result. The importance of electric guitarists while using single ended amplifiers in regard to their use of tweaking the volume pot to find the sweet spot is a good example of how an input signal defines saturation. Pushing gain to 54 with no signal present would render only silence except for the self noise of the signal chain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

If you want to see the harmonics [and aliasing...] a plugin generates, it's better to use sinewave [tm] than noise. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. WGElements

WGElements Newbie

Midas pres are really nice!

• List
  4. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

I had a drumbus yesterday, and as first insert i had Arturia v76 preamp plug to try it out. After some processing i noticed the preamp smeared the transients in a unconvincing way, so i quickly swaped it, and used voxengo warmifier, a very subtle plugin. But as first insert it made huge difference. afterwards came a fuse vqa-154, a fuse vcl 25 comp (-1db), WA Outlaw (made impact on punch) & transreckon, it sounded nice overall, but the warmifier did it for me, clarity & warmth instantly!

5. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

It's well known,distortions devastate transients.
    You'll can find on the web many producers/engineers who put a compressor or a transient designer before the distortion and not after,,in order emphasize the transients before they will be "broken" or attenuated by the distortion.But your solution may work too,but the result will be different.

6. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Sounds logical, i just play around to see if i can achieve a punchy but also warm sound with the druming, more kind of sounddesign than classic mixing i guess.

7. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

no! use you EARS !

8. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

I‘ll give my best, still learning daily