Power Supply Upgrade for Musician

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by tgunz, Mar 18, 2014.

1. tgunz

tgunz Newbie

Right now I'm running a 300 power supply here's a list of what I have running on my comp
    1.2 2tb Seagate internal 7200 HD(one running windows 8 and the other for kontakt libraries and other libraries)
    2.1 2 tb external Seagate HD(maschine libraries plus sample kits loops ect)
    3.1 500gb external HD(use this to transfer stuff from laptop to desktop which I don't use internet on)
    4.focus rite 24 DSP (FireWire)
    5.1 32 in monitor (TV with VGA)
    6.1 20 ot 21 in monitor (dvi )
    7.maschine mk2
    8.akai mpk 49
    9.novation 25 mk1
    10.Mackie universal pro
    11.4 sticks of 4gb ram (run everything in 64 bit)
    Running off the focus rite is a pair of krk6 presonus tumble 10" sub and a mxl mic i was wondering if i need a new power supply or if the one i got is fine?if i need new what kind where do i get it?

3. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

what kind of CPU do you have and is it over-clocked also the same for the GPU???

300 will hold but will burn out very fast, i personally would sleep better at night with a 500w to 700w PSU.

Do you have a budget??

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Depends on how much you want to spend and how much future proofing you want to do, also important to know what video card as those are the more thirsty components. Another overlooked part of the equation is the efficiency of the power supply as many will lose a considerable amount during usage. If you have the money I would go with between a 500 and a 700 with a high efficiency.

5. tgunz

tgunz Newbie

Wow 500? I use a factory video card don't know the specs but I'm sure I could find them and if I can keep it running till next year I'm fine with that

6. tgunz

tgunz Newbie

I have a HP with an i3 maybe first generation not 100% sure and not really but 500 to me is to much at this point

7. onhappin

onhappin Ultrasonic

type 'psu calculator' in google and let the technology do the math for you! you're in for a surprise, I reckon.
    Do yourself a favor and buy a 500w one.

8. onhappin

onhappin Ultrasonic

oh and don't be afraid it's not like this is its actual consumption. Your mom's bills won't feel the difference (too much). :wink:

9. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Is it a high-quality PSU? If you insist on keeping it for a little longer when you start to have problems look at that first most problems will start when the psu is underload

10. tgunz

tgunz Newbie

Great joke ha ha to bad I work a full time job and have 4 kids that i have to support first I thought he Ment 500$ I read it wrong but I'm sure ur mom can explain that to u huh?

11. tgunz

tgunz Newbie

Yea I really have other obligations (daycare car inspections bills ect plus my wife just got out of surgery Saturday)and at this time another comp is out of the
    question but I read if power supply is under rated it can cause problems and with running all this i figured I would ask if i needed one

12. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

I fully understand, but if it aint broke , don't fix it!!! although i know you got a computer upgrade itch :wink:

13. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

You shouldn't use a factory video card, get yourself at the very least a cheap ATI or nVidia card. It will come in handy. *yes*

If you're really strapped you can go for a lower wattage but then you won't really be able to change your mind later and upgrade your components. 300W is extremely weak. What I would do is calculate the draw on all your components and factor in the PSU efficiency and come to the max power consumption. Then get something bigger than that. It's a little work though because you need to research on the net.

14. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I've been running fine on i3-530 gfx since 2010. Some music production, including those pesky wave plugins. Most issues I had were solved by updating the gfx drivers.

15. onhappin

onhappin Ultrasonic

Unless your PSU is tiptop quality, you'll run into trouble at one point or another (upgrade or capacitor aging) on such low specs. Use the calculator and see for yourself!
    Why asking if you're convinced you don't need changes? And how come you're tight on a budget over a lousy PSU right here and have some big time shopping plans at the same time here? Mhhh...*no* Say what?
    It was a joke all right, don't go mimetic please! I was only trying to help and judging from your setup and everything else you're into 50centlike beatmaking, trap and teenish daydreaming. Nothing wrong with that either! If you're older take it as a compliment! :wink: Anyway, good luck with your day job, 4 kids, car bills and justoutofhospital wife [we all hope she'll be allright]!

Since we're at it, cramming into a room a krk6 pair + a 10" woofer is quite a performance! Could you open another thread or better pm me explaining the size of your room and the necessary kind of room treatment? I plan for a sub myself, thhough I'm a bit skeptical as regards the quality of the output soundwise. See, I hate canned earthquakes! *no*

16. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

300 is bare minium! I would upgrade to at least 500 also a power supply when it goes, your pc wont turn on or it will boot then shut off, or slow performace
    there are several symptoms to a week or failing power supply

17. drakem20

drakem20 Member

its been said here. go for 500, better 700.