Power of Summing Mixers

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Grater, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

[​IMG]
    Sorry, but this is not a "summing mixer". The most difference in sound you'll have is the noise picked up from your power strip nearby - or if you have a longer "summing mixer", you might get lucky and pick up a local radio station.

Come on guys. If analog summing was that easy and simple to do, and so obviously superior to digital summing - we'd have every single interface on the market sell it as a feature. But as you see, we don't. These passive things are at best placebo, at worst just a potential point of failure and degradation to the sound (consider the fact your audio will go one more D/A and A/D conversion just to get sound in and out). To get a meaningful change, that is saturation/harmonic distortion/width/clarity/punch/3D sound/expensive sound/warmth/vibe/roundness/fatness (insert remaining magic words people throw around here), you have to introduce elements that saturate or distort. A cable won't do. A simple $1 opamp powered by your 9V battery (or even better, USB) won't do, either. If it was that simple, everyone would sell it. They don't. Proper, quality audio circuits require a proper power supply (which costs money), a proper saturation stage (eg. tube, which costs money and requires an even beefier power supply), proper hardware (eg. a rack enclosure, metal protects your hands from high voltage and the sound from radio-frequency noise coming from your computers and power supplies - which costs A LOT of money, more than you realize, just like quality switches, jacks etc. that won't become loose after two years of operation), transformers (which need to be of a substantial size, or will roll off your low end - this costs a pretty penny as well).

If you want to build a passive box that works just like the cable pictured above, I can't stop you. Just don't tell me it sounds just like a Neve desk and how you like to push it for a more analog vibe.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Regarding to this, I think what you refer to is something like this:
    https://www.rogerschult.com/u2379_e.php?L=1

And also regarding to your whole statement or rather the argumentation of almost the whole thread can someone explain the difference between the thing I've posted and the stated reasons for analogue summing? :dunno:

I think this would be rather interesting. :yes:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  3. Grater

Grater Ultrasonic

Bro, there is none! That's the whole reason I made this thread

4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I feel you bro, maybe tonite I will have some free time or contact a couple o colleagues that own the Neve and SPL, and ask them for a favor. Which type of music do you prefer to listen to? Do you have any FLAC files you want to run?

5. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

This is not a summer, this is a tube amplifier with distortion. Mono.

6. curtified

curtified Rock Star

Biggest facts. I posted it as a "Cheap OTB solution" for the author to get their feet wet.

On the note of the cable above or passive summing. If you have an interface such as UAD or antelope. You can fake multiple styles of summing mixers.

7. Grater

Grater Ultrasonic

Anything drum-based would be cool. Hip Hop, electronic music, pop- whatever. Thank you!