Possibly Noob question about Headphone Impedance and the DT770(80 ohm)

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Hareesh S, Oct 5, 2021.

1. AbsoluteMadLad

AbsoluteMadLad Ultrasonic

2. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Again, simple answer:
    It's normal, your previous headphones were wrongly doing 2 things:
    - pushing the low frequencies
    - cutting and / or not reproducing accurately the higher frquencies.
    As a result, now your better , more accurate headphone seems to have not enough low end.
    But, try not to focus on this, focus on the details in the medium frequencies, I'm sure everything is clearer.
    With time, you'll get used to it, and you will mix better.

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'm not sure what configuration you ended up with, but if what you are hearing from the DT770's causes you to suspect they are "defective", it is most likely because of the higher resistance. They may not be perfect, but the 770's are nice! A good headphones amp will help a lot.

One thing I have noticed, using higher ohm cans mismatched/with no headphones amp; I seem to always ride the individual channels too hot at the mixer, almost to distortion.

another to mention, I would shake them. I replaced my 990s after many years, and the first pair I got from them had a part rolling around inside of one of the cans. I had read other people commenting about the same problems, with one side losing all sound. Covid did a number on companies that use human quality inspectors, maybe this was just an example of that. They had been on factory backorder for months.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  4. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

That's reassuring, thank you! And yes, they do sound *much* more detailed than I had initially assumed!
    No rattling, looks like it's just my poorly calibrated brain XD