Possibly Noob question about Headphone Impedance and the DT770(80 ohm)

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Hareesh S, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

Hey, so there's currently a sale where I'm at for the DT770 Pro(80 ohm). I don't have a dedicated interface yet, I just use my laptop's inbuilt interface. I realize high impedance headphones require a more "powerful" interface to drive them, and *from my understanding*, a high output interface could fry low impedance headphones, but I was wondering if I would be damaging the DT770s if I used them without an external interface for the time being. I don't mind the sound quality not being as good or the volume being low, I just want to ensure I wouldn't be damaging the headphones by using them before I get an interface.

Also, side note, how durable is the connector on the DT770s? The cable isn't detachable, and apparently that makes it more durable, but I was wondering how the connector itself holds up to frequent connecting/disconnecting.

Also also, when producing I tend to ignore any peaking, a lot of the drum samples I use peak way above 0 dB. I've never cared because I've used shitty wired earbuds till now, but buying these headphones would be a huge investment for me and I want to ensure I don't f*ck it up. I'm pretty clueless about anything outside ITB stuff, so I was wondering if I should add a clipper or limiter on my master/ensure my projects rarely peak above 0 or if it even matters if the DAW is peaking if the output volume of my interface/laptop itself is low?

Lot of questions above, and I'm sure a few years down the line I'll facepalm at how clueless I was, but I'm super paranoid, do understand:). Thank you in advance for your inputs!

Edit:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  3. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

It will probably work OK with the Focusrite,
    my cellphone powers my DT880's (250 Ohm) and K712 perfectly..

The connector is as durable as any other pro headphone connector = a lot.
    It's in fact one connector inside of another, it has a screw-on adapter that converts from mini-jack to jack.

You will have to plug it a billion times before it broke,
    so the wire will probably fail first.. but if you use it with care it will last you more than a decade :wink:

Peaking/clipping will probably not damage the headphones,
    unless you're using it at a head-exploding level.

It would be advisable to use limiters tho, and create a false ceiling,
    so your sounds peak/clip at whatever -0.3db, but you leave a little headroom for D/A converters to work..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

As @ Ŧ ย χøя already said, the plugs are superbly made and last a very long time. Most of the time, you tend to replace the ear pads. Should it happen that the cables are defective, here are instructions:

beyerdynamic DT-770 Cable Straight (Replacement Cable)
    - Connector cable for DT-770 PRO / 990 PRO / 880, - Smooth model
    - With gold-plated 3.5 mm stereo jack and adapter (M5 threads) 3.5mm to 6.3 mm jack, - beyerdynamic Nr.: 905771
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdyna...iZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

Beyerdynamic DT990 or DT770 cable replacement guide

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

the DT 80 ohms will be fine with just an interface. the 250s will not.

the higher ohms resistance means less energy will be conducted through to the device. You will get low volume, but you should not damage them with an underpowered amp.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

What I did on my Beyers is replace the cable with two RCA connectors,
    one on each earcup ofc..

And that's very convenient because:
    You've got a Detachable wire that can easily be replaced if it breaks,
    or you can use a better quality one.

Both drivers are now 100% balanced in terms of cable impedance,
    and depending on the type of wire, the ground connection/link is more separated from the drivers themselves..

Also you can use the headphones with a balanced amplifier, (or with double mono outs)
    so you can have slightly better/cleaner separation of the channels, and thus improved imaging..

And well, it makes the headphones even more durable/reliable,
    it would be next to impossible to damage them with regular use..
    and makes the cable system be on-par with the metallic indestructibility of the 880's.

You will really need a Tank to break these! :yes:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Short answers:
    80 ohms is not high impedance. You will be fine.
    Peaks above 0db will not arm your headphones
    An external high output interface will not fry your headphones, unless you really push it to the point it sounds saturated all the time.
    The cable is extra strong, don't worry about that.

Conclusion: if the offer is really good, buy them.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Gain Staging: The 3 Rules You Need To Know - BehindTheSpeakers.com

Headroom Exlained - R3spwned Tutorials #079

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

(I'm quoting this reply because Olymoon was kind enough to conclude everyone's answers prior!)
    Thanks for the answers everyone, this cleared up all the doubts I had!:yes:

10. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Note that the different impedance versions also differ in terms of cable and earpads:

Screenshot_2021-10-05 DT 770 PRO.png

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

Ohh I didn't know about this, thank you!

12. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Given the conditions you've been working in so far, these headphones will open up a whole new world for you.

13. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

That's what I'm hoping for!

14. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

FOLLOW UP: So I got my pair and I've been trying them out for a while, and it sounds like the bass(predominantly sub) is very subdued/weak in comparison to the earphones I was using up to this point.
    I have no idea if -
    1) that's how good headphones are supposed to sound,
    2) the issue is with my laptop's interface being potentially inadequate,
    3) I got a defective pair.

Is this contrast between earphones and headphones normal?

Note: I doubt it makes a difference but the earphones I was using are "dual driver in-ear earphones" from Mi(Xiaomi) that cost less than 10$(After conversion). I'm assuming since they earphones essentially plug in to your ears and completely seal them, the bass is a lot more perceivable, but I need a sanity check.

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Load a piece of music MP3 that you know well into your digital audio workstation and hear it through your headphones.

Don't you have a real audio interface? How did you connect that now?
    The $ 10 headphones are intended for on the go to listen to music from your cell phone.

16. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

That's what I've been doing. The only issue is I've only heard those songs through these in-ear earphones for so long, that as far as I know, that's how the songs are meant to sound, if that makes sense. My frame of reference has only been earphones for years.

I do not have an external/dedicated audio interface, as I had previously stated. I've been using my laptop's internal interface along with Asio4All drivers.
    Yes, these 10$ earphones are not intended for this purpose but I couldn't really afford anything better(or justify the purchase atleast) XD.

(The goal or intent was to eventually buy an audio interface and then headphones, but as the DT770's were on a good sale I decided to purchase them now and get an interface later.)

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hi @Hareesh S, first of all, congratulations on your new headphones.
    If you've been listening to in-ear headphones for years, the brain needs a few days to adapt to the new sound.

Neu: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen - 104 EUR
    https://www.thomann.de/de/focusrite_scarlett_solo_3rd_gen.htm
    Used: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen - 36 EUR
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/363568186087?hash=item54a65a42e7:g:rmEAAOSwGahhXLZX
    Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd gen - Used - Hardly used - Fully functional
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/194420058955?hash=item2d4456ab4b:g:BLUAAOSwJMlhXbum

Hearing impairment: Sometimes it is advisable to have a hearing test done by an ear doctor or hearing aid acoustician.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  18. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

I appreciate the help! I've been looking at these interfaces too, I'll get one soon enough(hopefully!)

I don't think hearing impairment is applicable in this case because I CAN hear bass frequencies with the earphones, which is why I was wondering if the "new sound" is normal and something I need to get used to or if it's a hardware issue(shitty interface or defective headphones) .

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Good news that your hearing is still working.

A defect is as good as impossible: Go to the neighbors and ask if you can test your headphones.

Asio4All driver is better than none, but the quality is not that great.

Remember your brain / ear needs a few days to properly classify the new sounds and frequencies. For months you expected your brain / ear to be of poor quality. It's easy to get used to something bad and it's much harder to get used to it again.

If your sound is too quiet, use a compressor and use the MakUp control there!
    [​IMG]

20. hassenkoppen

hassenkoppen Noisemaker

About the sound problem: Try to let them DT770 "burn in" for a while. I was a bit disappointed the first time I used my new K702 but after some time they began to sound better and now I love them. I just let them run for a few hours somewhere in the background at not too high levels to speed that process up a bit :)

21. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

This makes sense, I'll just give the headphones(and myself) some time to adjust then! Thank you!