Possible time bomb in Slate VMR 2.6.4.0? [solved]

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arabian_jesus, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I just noticed that the ratio values of almost all of the comps in Slate VMR are messed up. The ratios in the 1176 modules don't work at all, they all equal a ratio of about 20 no matter what you choose. If you set Custom Opto - that has a continously variable ratio - to a ratio of 2, it also shows a ratio closer to 4.

The only one that seems to work correctly is FG-401.

It took quite a while for me to notice this as I practically never use VMR, but I know that R2R and RET made comments about parameters being encrypted and that's why there were problems with certain modules in the past. Could this be the case with the ratios as well? Or could it be some sort of time bomb?

If we have some legit VMR users here: could you check if the ratios of the various compressors in VMR looks correct for you? You probably have newer versions installed, but it could be good to know anyhow.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

There are like few releases of VMR with the fix and stuff, can't tell anymore but I only tested the EQs on the doctor. Strangely enough I use most of the modules in VMR except the 1176s (because CLA76 is like muscle memory when I need one), so didn't notice it. I hope this will motivate R2R go visit the Slate's stuff one more time and see if it's a bug or they missed something that could be some new knowledge to gain. Sly little bastard dat Slate guy huh

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  4. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

wow if thats true... they are a shitty company xd

5. Gyorgy Ligeti

Gyorgy Ligeti Platinum Record

I've tested now the Custom Opto. No problem with the ratio at the moment.
    Is this a time bomb for you? In other words, did it work well at first and then it stopped responding?

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

He's talking about the key'd version. There're probably some 'hidden' lines in the code which mess this up for these versions, deliberately.

7. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

EDITED : wrong info earlier. My bad.

8. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

woops... my apologies...

9. Gyorgy Ligeti

So can anyone test RET's FG-116s with R2R's themselves? To see if there are any differences, or maybe even with a legit VMR of a subscribed user?

10. azz

azz Member

I could not reproduce this using RET.
    Ratio to 4 (8) and 20 and it does not cancel in the reverse phase.
    I saved the project and recalled it, but the result is the same.

11. Gyorgy Ligeti

Yes, in fact I noticed that the sound is quite similar with different ratios, but I still notice a certain difference by switching from one ratio to another. But I've never worked on this compressor, I don't know how it should sound. We need a direct comparison with its legit version, or at least with the R2R's one.

12. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I've spent some time comparing the VMR's 76s with the Waves CLA76 in Plugin Doctor and figured that they matched around 90% for all the ratios, seems like nothing is wrong. Slate's version however is really really sensitive to the Input/Output and the transfer curve changes drastically with different level of Input/Output compared to the CLA76. Using the Shift button while adjusting Input of the VMR to match the level with CLA76 until the curves is almost the same, then switch the Ratio for both, they respond similarly for the Blue and Black version.

So.. nothing is wrong under the hood. wtf

Ratio = 4
    4.jpg

Ratio = 20
    20.jpg

13. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

impossible to compare both since you can only have one version installed at a time. Maybe somebody else can do it. Anyway, I've done few tests on the doctor seems like "technically" nothing is wrong. What is strange, the sound and meter behavior doesn't change when I use it on a track with different ratios. Make sense that @azz said they don't cancel each other. I figured on my test that the Input/Output level change the compression curves drastically. I'm assuming the VMR 1176 was modeled to be crazy like its hardware counterpart and need precise setting to get the best out of it.

One question though, how to enable ALL BUTTON MODE on the VMR ?

14. Gyorgy Ligeti

So how did I think, RET's VMR is proper right? Incredible the masterpiece they made with such a tremendous protection!

15. btwester

btwester Noisemaker

Thats what you use The Monster for.

16. Arabian_jesus

2.6.4.0 is the latest on the sister site (that's the one from RET with the fix for the drive knob on FG-76) but the ratios are still all wrong :/

I don't understand how you get those measurements. This is what it looks like for me:

[​IMG]

Purple is CLA-76 and orange is VMR. I get the same ratio on all 76 comps in VMR, only the in/out levels change a bit when I change ratio :S In this pic CLA-76 shows a somewhat 4:1 (or maybe 5:1 considering the knee), while FG-116 is maybe 8:1 or more.

17. Arabian_jesus

Aha, now I see. The ratio on pretty much all VMR comps changes drastically when you change the attack and release parameters. With attack and release both set to 1 (slowest) on FG-116 the ratio goes to basically limiting. With attack and release both set to 7 (fastest) I get something resembling the ratio on CLA-76, so about 5:1.

Is this supposed to be a "feature", or "analog goodness"? :rofl: Can't imagine that real 1176s changes ratio this drastically when you change the envelope parameters.

[​IMG]
    Slowest attack and release

[​IMG]
    Fastest attack and release

18. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I adjust the Input while holding the Shift (auto-gain compensation) until the curves almost match on ratio 4 and then change to other ratios for both and see if they give similar result, like I said it's 90% similar.

19. Arabian_jesus

I get that, but for me the input and output settings don't influence the ratio whatsoever. Only attack and release settings influence the ratio!

The ratio buttons change the threshold slightly, so they would not cancel out even if the ratios didn't change at all. However, the ratios do change a tiny amount when you change from 4 to 8, and 8 to 12 etc, but not anywhere near what they should. I was just exaggerating when I wrote that they don't change at all. Sorry for that.

Yesterday I focused mainly on the 1176 compressors, and I could get the ratio almost to 4:1 by changing attack and release settings (that's why I edited the title to solved). I'm pretty convinced now that there's nothing wrong with RET's release, but I now know that most of the compressor ratios in VMR are way off.