Possible fix for VSTi CPU issues

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Fudsey Plange, Jan 17, 2017.

1. A dude on the Presonus forum says running your VSTis in a rewired host gets around the only using one core CPU problem. Works for me. YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Bridging/wrapping your VSTs does a similar thing. I used jBridge to make extra .dlls for programs like Diva and Kontakt, regardless of whether they support multicore, they load even faster and I can play more instruments in Kontakt simultaneously before voices are killed.

With Kontakt I had to turn multicore processing off in preferences.

I also bridged x64 .dlls to x64 by choosing a different destination folder in jBridge, renaming the .dll, then moving it back into the standard VST folder.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

wow, sounds really crazy. it should give presonus a good lead on how to optimize things once for all.

5. mrmugabi

mrmugabi Newbie

Wow! This will do wonders for my laptop.
    Thanks

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Don't forget that VST(i)s hosted outside the DAW (standalone, rewire or whatever) will not be part of the project's preset management, that's definitely a no-go for me. You would either have to create new presets for every project you've created, or maintain a list of presets per project - no more total recall upon loading a project.
    I like the idea of bridging however. And I wonder how many different bridges I might use in one DAW :bleh:

• List
  7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I use a laptop with Windows 7 to play VSTis and some VSTs, then I record the audio output to my main computer which is used for mixing and MIDI for hardware synths and samplers since XP has the most precise MIDI output. It's a kind of "offload processing". :wink: It is a bit complicated setup but it works well.

That way you can use two different DAWs [with ReaMote or ReaStream plugins] but I use 2 Reapers because it's the most efficient and I can use ReaMote. ReaStream can transfer multiple audio and MIDI streams over the network, whilst ReaMote can work with plugins directly on the host computer but the audio processing is actually running on the "slave computer".

I guess I should post my setup. There is a thread on AS somewhere. :winker:

Wasn't there a post about how you can use Bluecat's Patchwork in StudioOne for lower CPU impact? I guess you can use JBridge and Metaplugin [I love this one, really sleek] for the same purpose of hosting VSTs, but in my mind a bridging plugin can only introduce more CPU overhead... if they work better then StudioOne has really terribly inefficient VST processing. :sad:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

is this true for everyone? does presonus include jbridge in itself?
    have tried converting the actual dll in jbridge and then load that dll in presonus?

9. mrmugabi

mrmugabi Newbie

jbridge is a seperate product. It does work quite well

10. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Wow, this is quite amazing info i never heard of .. Big Thanks !

11. dark magus

dark magus Newbie

So if I want to use Mercuriall Sparks which is a big CPU hog into Reaper, how am I proceeding?

12. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

All is good as long as you're bridging inside the same host (i.e. DAW).
    I was referring to standalone and Rewire, where there's no communication relating to presets and plugin settings.

• List
  13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Reaper has it's own built-in bridging framework. I guess you could try jbridging the plugin then loading that in Reaper. The only thing bridging does is host the plugin outside of the DAW's processes and depending on the combination of DAW and plugin, this can ease your CPU load a little to not at all.

If I ReWire Reason into Live I usually save the Reason project which recalls all the plugin settings when opened. You can also put all your devices inside of a Combinator and saving that one Combinator patch will save the settings of every device inside. This is useful for loading different devices from separate projects into one Live set.

14. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Actually, I think that Reason has indeed enough great devices to make it worthwhile taking care of two separate project files independently. For those many nice little cpu hog plugins however, I'd really want their settings/presets handled conveniently inside my DAW and in one single project, so I can completely understand the OP.

15. virusg

virusg Rock Star

for all of you who want to try, see this:

http://www.energy-xt.com/index.php?id=0115

ReWire VST works as a standard VST instruments and can load all versions of Reason (32-bit and 64-bit) on PC and Mac OS X. Want to use Reason inside energyXT, MPC 1.8, Maschine or any other VST DAW/sequencer, then ReWire VST is for you.

Highlights:
    • Playback instruments from Propellerheads Reason in any VST compatible DAW/sequencer
    • Add/record multi-track audio functionality to your Reason projects and render to wav/aif/mp3
    • Add ReWire master-functionality to host applications lacking this feature.

Specifications:
    • License include 32-bit and 64-bit VST Plugin versions for both Windows and Mac OS X
    • 1 stereo and 6 mono audio channels
    • Up to 128 MIDI mappings from energyXT to Reason
    • Option to sync playback on/off
    or, but is only x32

http://www.energy-xt.com/index.php?id=0119

Based on the old Machine II VST plugin, Machine3 adds more featues like multi-timbral VST support and section based pattern sequencing with re-harmonizing.

• Windows and Mac OS X 32-bit VST plugin
    • Turn your VST folder into a hardware-like workstation
    • Stack multiple VST instruments and effects
    • 8 part multi-timbral
    • 8 sections with per-part pattern (drum and instrument mode)
    • Chord detection with live transposition of patterns
    • Included sounds and FX

...seems interesting

16. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Damn, no 64bit version .. :(

17. Tad Mikowski

Tad Mikowski Guest

Hello guys, you can open the vst only using the host of reaper in fl studio? Not reaper rewire, only its host! Sorry for my bad english! x.PNG