Positive Grid - Bias Amp 2

Discussion in 'Software News' started by DeeeZZZ, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Reading this post made me realize that I haven't plugged in an electric guitar in many, many months. It has just been acoustic guitars. I have an LR Bags Anthem LE that I haven't yet installed because I can't decide which guitar to put it in. It is coming on two years. Jeez!
    Anyway, I recently tried the Kemper and it is freaking awesome, blows everything else out of the water with touch and feel. IMO, It is close to playing an amp. Until I can have one myself, Helix is as close as I can get.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Have you tried adding acoustic guitar IRs?

Never tried a Kemper but tried the first version of AxeFX which was quite good.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
  3. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Hey Guys! for acoustic simulation try Revalver 4! it's impressive, especially with the neck single coils.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

@metaller,
    That is convincing. Now try these IRs in series or parallel:

It will add the ' body ' of the acoustic to the sound.

For a 12 string sound, add a Kontakt acoustic guitar sample with just the ' Nashville ' tuning with MIDIguitar.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
  5. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I've tried the 3 Sigma ones (Taylor and Martin) and thought they really sounded great. I used a Yamaha Acoustic Electric into a Lexicon Omega and ran Pulse VST inside Cantibile to test for live playing.
    I'd really like to see if that setup would work well, but don't know if I'll head that direction as I've just purchased a VoiceLive Acoustic. I'll have to A/B them side by side to see which I prefer. The IR's will have to really outshine the VoiceLive due to ease of setup with the VoiceLive.

6. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Tnx for these IRs. I used the default ones in Revalver. Using a little of your IRs in parallel for the tracks enhances the body. Tnx For the tip!! :mates:

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yep, that's what you are paying for .. the touch, the feel and general response, along with all of the various tone options. When I play my Les Paul I have to keep it under control, as the Kemper gives you same kind of nuances as if you were playing into a real amp.

The only problem is when you know this technology exists, it's hard to go backwards! I now find VST amps a little bit flat in comparison. Another bad side-effect is I have started to develop an unhealthy interest in boutique amps and they are freaking expensive, so maybe I should have just stuck with Amplitube!

I do use Helix for practising or if I want to capture DI signals for later reamping, and it's nice to have a solution that sits inside the laptop, but for recording purposes it's Kemper all the way.

8. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

The IRs really help when soloing esp. on the higher frets.

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Random bit of info, but did you know that the Kemper by Kemper Amps is not only an amazing guitar amp modeller, but is also has the same parent company as the Access Virus synths with the same person that was responsible for both the Kemper and the Virus family. being Christoph Kemper. Now only if he could make a Kemper style unit for synths....!!!!

There's also a decent-ish acoustic simulator within Guitar Rig 5 too. I think it's called acoustic shimmer or something like that. May need some minor tweaking, butI get decent results using my Fender strat through it and has fooled people into thinking it was an acoustic.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

I haven't touched S-Gear since I got into Mercuriall plugins. They just sound amazing and actually care for us hi-gainers, lol.

11. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

Random thoughts:

I rather enjoy the Wayfarer amp on S-Gear for high gain metal / rock tones (but not for super heavy modern tones). It is very responsive and sounds great. The reverb section is great.

Add the little freebie "guitar conditioner" plugin by airwindows for extra chunk and you're good to go (if you haven't checked this out, do it now).

Downside with S-Gear is that it ships with just one really great sounding cab IR (the basketweave) for heavy tones.

TSE ships with more usable IR's but I don't think the amp itself is near as good as the Wayfarer.

Helix I found really boring and often just bad sounding. I'm sure it sounds like a real miked amp but I'd rather the software curates the sound for me more.

ReValver 4 is really good for certain types of vintage clean sounds (if you're not getting them, your gain staging inside the plug-in is probably wrong) and the ACT modeling is amazing. Most of the presets suck even as starting points.

You can't beat the Yngvie preset on guitar rig 5. Whoever made that is a genius.

Never got a really impactful sound out of Amplitube or TH3.

Hated the BIAS amp UI and wasn't too impressed with the sounds either.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List