Positive Grid - Bias Amp 2

Discussion in 'Software News' started by DeeeZZZ, Jan 20, 2018.

1. DeeeZZZ

DeeeZZZ Guest

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

I always thought BIAS was a bit overrated, it's better than Amplitube or Guitar Rig for sure but that's not a big achievement. I hope the new version is much better. Until then I will keep free using LePou plugins, Helix or Overloud TH3.

4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Better than Guitar Rig is easy (really, they never improved their base code).
    BUT some of the last Amplitube amps really kicks.

BIAS created a different way to look at amp sims. Like Revalver.
    I'm going to try Helix and TH3...because i test everything to be sure :D

I'm pretty sure we already reached a very good level of "accuracy" with Lepou and the first Amplitube.
    Now, it is only better... and too much choice.

See those endless debates about "witch is the best ?"
    Those ppl would fall on the floor knowing ppl like me still use and love an old Tonelab LE as hardware sim and Lepou as software sim (LE456 rules) :mates:

5. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

I love its Amp match feature. Not sure if any other Amp sims has that. I use S-Gear by the way. Much lite and easier for me.

6. StinkyPat

StinkyPat Noisemaker

Was using Bias a ton for some time, but Helix has stolen my heart. I like a bit more internal tweaking via Bias and tone match is pretty cool, however I can get to a faster tone with Helix. Still use Amplitube 4 on occasion. Good fun from most Sims.

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I've tested all of them (available). Considering I have a slow CPU and very few RAM I use:
    1. TSE x50v2: fast, light, good IR loader. Good TS808 emulation. Sometimes I replace the amphead with LePou (Legion!) or Emissary
    2. Helix: when I search quality and variety of effects. Hard on the CPU so only for special solo guitars.
    3. TH3/Revalver 4: When trying to go fast with presets. I still can't decide between the two

Amplitube, Bias, S-Gear sound quite good but they're HUGE on memory and/or the CPU

I respect your taste but Legion beats LE456 :wink: . Just joking ))

It's been a while since I used it. How about its CPU toll?

8. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

if they do not fix the laggy interface, they have achieved nothing in this new version at least for me.

9. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I hope they get better. Now the Line 6 Helix is much better than Bias Amp 1

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  10. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Quite ok. Less taxing. I play around it presets with rockband multitrack (using realrick), found some tone match (like 'learn to fly' - ff), roughly.

I'd prefer Line 6 Helix though, i think it's best things since slice bread. But CPU put me on ice.

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

So true... it has a damn f*$%& chromium browser embedded, no wonder it eats CPU and specially RAM, and of course laggy GUI.

12. DeeeZZZ

DeeeZZZ Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2018
  13. TW

TW Guest

That glowing tubes !!! A must have for sure!

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The best upgrade is a Kemper amp. OK, it costs money, but if guitars are your thing it's worth trying to find a good used deal. The response feels more like a real amp.

I started off with Amplitube 1.0 and Guitar Rig 1 and they were good for their time, but as you experience newer and better emulations, it becomes difficult to take a step backwards. I also use Helix Native for practising and composing, but it is still missing something compared to the Kemper.

On a sidenote, I'm sure the VST based amps will catch up at some point, but at the moment the proprietary hardware solution from Kemper hold a competitive advantage, hence they are currently reluctant to port their technology to the PC/Mac platform.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  15. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Helix, Kazrog and Blue Cat Destructor sound nice in a pinch or late night but nothing so far is even close to a cab and mic, even at below conversation levels. Never was impressed with Bias.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I can't disagree about the mic'd cabs, but it soon starts to get expensive when you are looking for different kinds of amp sounds, and you also have to factor in the price of fx pedals, etc.

For me the digital solution makes more sense, but the journey is still incomplete.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  17. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Probably a pain in the ass solution, but for different flavors you can try running the amp sims and micing your monitors to get real air moving. Won't be exactly like a cab, but probably would be closer. First heard this idea from @superliquidsunshine, so gotta give credit where it's due.

18. GeminiCount

GeminiCount Member

Scuffham in virtual. Kemper in hardware.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

That's why I like the Kemper cos the mics and preamp are included in the chain, which is great for recording. I've been playing this game for a long time and nothing is perfect, but we are getting closer :wink: At the end of the day I just want to own a few decent guitars and be able to record at a good enough standard. In my case, I had to spend a bit of money to reach my goal, but no regrets as I would have spent the money on beer anyway!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Absolutely agree. I've been wanting to check out a Kemper myself.

21. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

BTW I can get a passable acoustic guitar sound using Blue Cat Destructor with my Telecaster :wink: