Portable VST

Discussion in 'Software' started by artska, Aug 2, 2011.

1. artska

artska Newbie

Hi Every body,

I search a list of plugin who work well with portable system or the method for make a vst(I) portable with LEGAL (or not) registrering.
    i know Kontakt 4.2.2 and Halion 3.5 By Antony GR.

So if you can tell how make VSTI portable with registration and library.

Thanx

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

4. artska

artska Newbie

Have cool free plug :) but where is portableVST? (without instalation, just drag n' drop in vst folder...)

otherwise Thx

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

6. artska

artska Newbie

I give a exemple with Halion and Kontakt, for this plug i have a autonome folder with DLL, REG, preset and all i need...
    for the free plug, and every dll file, i m not debile, i know what is drag n' drop, so i search a method with WMware or virtual machine... And the standalon can be in the folder ;)
    Have you realy not understand the question???
    So, thx

for exemple : http://portableapps.com/

7. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Just try to install some vsti on your usb stick and see if it works make a vst folder and install them there.

I´m pretty sure you can get away with many of the assigne synth releases as they often install themselves in the same dir but you have to do a vst scan in your daw every time.

And why not try the portable version of Reaper then you have both Daw and vst/vsti on the same Usb stick i´m not sure if it works as i have never tried a portable system.

I´m pretty sure you can´t get ilook and syncrosoft protected synths to work though but there is plenty of good synths that don´t have usb protection
    Zebra i.e

8. McXProds

McXProds Newbie

you should try thinstall http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/overview.html and see if that works with vst's *yes*

9. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Have you realy not understand the question???

Well i´m sure many of us don´t understand your question as you haven´t really EXPLAINED WHAT YOU MEAN.

And if you mean a list of portable vst:s i can assure that i have never seen such list of portable plugins and i spend a lot of time hanging around several sites like this.

And almost every plugin are not really depended of an operating system like windows/mac os to work all they need is a host like Minihost or a Daw.

So if you have a host like minihost you should get the plugin to work

10. McXProds

McXProds Newbie

I think he is asking for a way to make any vst portable, i know thinstall can make many programs portable, but im not sure if it will work with vst's, he can give it a try though :dunno: .

11. artska

artska Newbie

Thank, this method is ok for some plugin, or sometimes i just copy the DLL in vst folder and archive it, but not work for all, specialy for big or complex plugin.

thx

12. artska

artska Newbie

Sorry for my english, vocabulary and grammar, so i ask "have you realy not understand..." without irony, just for know if my sentence is correct or not,
    So, i tried to be more clear,
    Yes i search for make portable for DIFFICULT plugin instalation (dongle or registration) like Kontakt, Halion, or DAW like Cubase working very well but i find only them, because it s realy cool, light and speed way for test, use and reinstall if crash(yes i use win xp ;) )so, why this system is not more(most?) use???

13. Captain_Future

Captain_Future Newbie

There is no way to make a plugin really 'portable' if its uses the registry or any system-folders such as ProgramData, AppData\Local, AppData\Roaming etc.

Unless you can create a 'wrapper' (read: virtual environment) it will always involve restoring the items in question on whatever host computer you want to use the plugin on as plugins which use these items are usually hardcoded to look for them at these specific locations and refuse/fail to function if they dont find them there. (Although there are a few exceptions.)

The best thing you can do, at least for plugs that dont use MachineID based authorisation, is keep the registry settings and any system-folders contents in a folder and transfer them to the new host computer.

I myself keep such a setup for all my music related stuff simply because i have a great aversion against installers in general and the endless re-install procedures after a OS fresh install in particular...

PS: Some things can be made semi-portable, meaning the app/plugin will run but all settings will be in an 'INIT' state.

Example: Cubase 5. Put SYNSOEMU/SYNSOACC.DLL directly into the appdir and you can run it on any PC from a flashdrive.

There are more such examples but it would be too much to list them all now.

If you have any questions regarding a specific plug/app, feel free to ask and i will see what i can come up with...

14. artska

artska Newbie

THX ;)
    Merci beaucoup!!!
    If you want i can send you a portable vst i have(kontakt 4.2.2 is a good exemple) for look how its work very well just by drag n drop the folder in my vst folder!(and i beleive its keep setting, no "init" , but i m not sure i have well understand if this is that you speak...)
    So i search how make this with total komplete for starting -.-

Thanx again for your response and on the web i download wmware and i try but just work with some programme, for exemple Acid7(sony) don't work well, i must do a bad setting :)...i search.
    For the plug(after i start DAW portable) i would have in portable:
    Komplete
    Waves
    REfx
    Linplug
    Rob Papen
    IK Multimedia

And sorry for my english ;)

15. ebla

ebla Newbie

Hi Friends

Can you, please, tell me how to open portable Kontakt in Cubase?
    Thank you for any help!