Portable versions of software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by webshark, Mar 20, 2015.

1. webshark

webshark Member

What is the difference with a portable version of a software compared to the normal version. I was just looking at ACID pro there and the portable version.

Thanks

3. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

A portable application (portable app), sometimes also called standalone, is a program designed to run on a compatible computer without being installed in a way that modifies the computer's configuration information. This type of application can be stored on any storage device, including internal mass storage and external storage such as USB drives and floppy disks – storing its program files and any configuration information and data on the storage medium alone. If no configuration information is required a portable program can be run from read-only storage such as CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs. Some applications are available in both installable and portable versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application

4. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

FOR PC/Windows...

An example is Cockos - Reaper, has a portable version.

I often run some utility apps as a portable version, but their files are located on my hard drive (app partition).
    Only because I couldn't be bothered installing them, which would include registry changes.

The only disadvantage with not installing and running an app a portable, is you don't get file associations and windows file explorer context menu add-ons because they both need registry changes.

For PC - go to: http://portableapps.com
    There's 100's of apps there, searchable by category etc. There's also a system where you can build your own menu to launch portable apps from. Handy for when they're on a USB flash drive or other, to take around with you.

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

When I'm touring i take a portable loo with me where ever i go ..... hope that helps clarify things.​

[​IMG]

6. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

Lmao /\ /\ /\ /\
    Genius!!!