portable ssd for mac and pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by robbieeparker14, Jun 17, 2024.

1. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

im wondering if its possible to have a ssd with portable versions of all my plugins that works for both mac and pc.

i dont want to run into format issues manily i know ill need a mac version of the files and pc version, but im wondering if anyone else has tried this and what to avoid.

thanks.

3. arhythmtech

arhythmtech Member

be careful with "exFAT"

macOS Sonoma does not support exFAT. i just had an exFAT drive get corrupted from updating to Sonoma. quite a few people have had this issue and Apple has done nothing to even address it.

you could split the drive into 2 partitions. format windows partition as NTFS. format macOS partition as APFS.

that's what i would do in your situation.

double check your operating system versions are compatible with each format

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

I would not do this. You are just asking for problems. The amount of my time and effort putting together an external disk all setup the way I want it; is worth far more to me than the $100 or so you might save by putting it on one drive instead of using two. Never mind any data you might lose the first time something goes wrong. I would give this idea a hard pass.

5. jaypolar7856

jaypolar7856 Noisemaker

I've been using Samsung T7 on both my laptop and my macbook and had no problems yet. but maybe it'll mess up one day idk lol

6. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

What format is yout T7 in? exfat or NTFS?