Portable software solutions

Discussion in 'PC' started by L.8100, Jan 21, 2021.

1. L.8100

L.8100 Member

Hello all,

Great forum, long time reader :)

I have tested software from sister site previously. Recently i have been looking to test some portable graphics packages (PS, Illustrator etc). Today i came across the "houseofportable" site. Forced me to turn off adblock but looking around it it seems to have what im looking for. Are there any members here with knowledge of this site and the releaser (who seems to be the admin of the blog), do others use this source and are they safe? (malware free etc). Cheers!

3. MetaCastle

MetaCastle Guest

Portable software is usually safe but just like everything obtained form unofficial paths is risky business me personally never had issues with portable soft im not sure if i used the mentioned site before if you want to be sure the soft is safe fire up an special configuration vm for testing also vm is used to create portable software

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Windows by design is not made for portable software,
    modified softwares as aforementioned website can emulate registry locally, but it makes system no less bloated imo, and you are not guaranteed functionality since the software needs to be modified,
    I think hackintosh and overall MacOS nature of applications almost all being portable by nature is a cleaner solution

5. L.8100

L.8100 Member

Hey, thanks for the info. My issue is space atm, so looking to run certain progs (adobe) from another disk. Dont wanna symlink. Guess my main query was whether the site mentioned an the releases on there have been used by anyone here, previous experiences. ill test one and run in vm :)
    Thanks

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

hmm if it's just for test runs, you can get cheap SATA SSD, cheap external USB 3.0 enclosure, and just have entire second Windows system installed there natively? perhaps not as elegant as VM, but no less capable..

7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I run a few portables, and no problems with most.
    I use LiberKey and Portable Apps and create shortcuts to the actual programs so i do not run either Liberkey or Portable Apps programs, except to update and manage the apps.

The problem with that is that the apps then may write to registry, so what is the point of having the portable version?
    Well it does allow me to update a bunch at once, but really it's not that big a deal.

I have been using a few DAW apps like this as well (Audacity, Audition,Delay Time Calc,Goldwave, Kontakt, Reaper, Samplitude...).
    All seem to run fine.
    One drawback is that portable versions may not come out as often...or maybe stop..

I find that certain ones i use most are great to have in portable form, just to avoid having to reinstall, and i can take a the whole bunch of them in one folder and use them anywhere.
    On a new install in just a few minutes they are "installed" via a symlink in C drive (all the shortcuts i make to them point to them via C:\)