Portable kontakt

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by kooper, Apr 19, 2022.

1. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I am liking this "portable kontakt". I have had some luck having two different versions show in my DAW, and both work. Maybe I don't know enough about this and this is a work around, but it means I don't have to update and repopulate kontakt after updating. I needed a later version to run the new sessions bass vsti, and I didn't want to start from scratch and repopulate after updating. I put another portable version in and it sees both, and I have two versions. The new one being able to run this bass vsti but I didn't need to start over with populating it. If there is a way to transfer what populates it too I am not aware of it, but this works.

3. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I just install overtop of my prior portable install and it keeps all the libraries. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by what it "populates"... The list of libraries. But yeah, just install the newest portable over top. If you're scared to do so, back it up first.

4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Having two different versions is sometimes important to maintain old projects.
    Is that why you want two versions.
    And are the two versions both portable, or do you mean both the portable and the installer versions?

5. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Well I am not sure of anything here, but it has happened to me more than once that I have to start over after updating. Yes that is what I mean by populating. The libraries are added into kontakt. After updating I would have to go find the libraries and put them back in.

6. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Portable yes. Not using the installed versions. They seem to function just fine, except for loosing having the libs installed into kontakt.

7. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Hmm, that's strange. I can't say that's ever happened to me, and I update somewhat frequently. I always use the Kontakt Portable by vkDanilov, and just install overtop, and never have lost anything added via library manager. You don't have to re-copy them on your hard drive do you? You just have to re-add them in the library manager?