Popping sounds after 'upgrading' Win10

Discussion in 'PC' started by not sure, Jan 9, 2018.

1. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

I can't figure out what the hell the cause is but after I went and upgraded to Win10 anytime I start some audio there's a loud pop/static sound before the audio begins. It happens with youtube videos, mp3/wav files etc.
    It also happens when I receive messages on Steam, Skype etc or if windows makes one of its sounds like that ding that happens when you change the audio volume on the bottom right with the mouse. Dingpopstatic. It's driving me crazy!!!
    Anyone have this problem and fix it by chance?
    I tried reinstalling audio drivers but it didnt help.
    I swear I can't even wear headphones and I'm worried it will damage my speakers, it doesn't sound healthy for them. Like a tight fart that hurts the cornhole!

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

You said you re-installed the drivers but have you considered you may need to UPGRADE the drivers? Try going to the manufacturer's website for the latest ones!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

I just checked, they're the latest.
    Man, this is crazy....
    I may have to go back to Win 7 for the time being

soooo tired of reformatting! LOL

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

What's the sound card? I'll see if I can find anything else out

In the mean time. Disconnect all external leads from the sound card, and give them a clean! I'm not saying it IS that, but you have to be able to rule out everything!

6. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

7. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

Let me tell you something - Microsoft are incompetent fucking idiots. Always assume that.
    First of all, if you really want to be on windows 10 don't upgrade, install it fresh. Save yourself months of headache and install it fresh. Only then check if you got this problem. If you do, then it's the drivers and there's not a lot you can do about it but to try different versions of the driver (maybe ASIO4all), play with different settings and go back to windows 7.

8. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

Haha, holy fuck! I am the incompetent idiot!
    1.jpg
    This menu comes up when you click on the volume icon.

For some reason it was set to my monitor as playback even though it wasn't in Device Controls! WTF?!
    Those other playbacks are disabled also so I think the pop noise was it swapping drivers each time it initialized audio.

Atleast I've got some clean leads now! HAHA.

I appreciate the replies gents!!!

Also I HEAR YA BILL, I did the migrate files when I got Windows 10 and it fucked everything up so I had to reformat anyway and start fresh.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

I get the same with a Focusrite Scarlett. But I don't have the same menu that you got in Win10.

10. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

Yo PopstarKiller, do you have Win10?
    I made a mistake, you don't right click. Just left click on the volume adjuster on the task bar and then there's the drop down menu to select devices/drivers right above the slider for the volume adjustment.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Doh!!!!! but I'm really pleased you got it all working now :)

12. swavenation

swavenation Kapellmeister

I got 6i6 2 weeks ago and can confirm that the pops and dropouts i was having disappeared for good after i installed the Beta Drivers which fixes Windows 10 issues after the new creators update. Make sure to unplug everything, uninstall and reinstall. Download Focusrite Control on beta.focusrite.com

13. alex921

alex921 Producer

Same problem here with W7 focusrite 2i4, shit sucks. All latest drivers are installed.

14. swavenation

swavenation Kapellmeister

What issues do you have specifically? Careful which usb ports you put it in. I heard about usb 3.0 not working well and usb hubs having issues also. Native asio focusrite drivers seem a little unstable from my experience so maybe try different Audio settings.