Polyphonic Clip-On Tuner

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by mrrnr, Jun 16, 2015.

1. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune-clip/?utm_source=social_media&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=social-media-social-media-link

A Total Tuning Triumph
    PolyTune Clip is much more than just a clip-on tuner, it's a revolution! Perfectly combining state of the art tuning technology with an unprecedented attention to aesthetics and functionality, PolyTune Clip gives a tune-up that's unmatched in speed, precision and grace. Not only is PolyTune Clip the best PolyTune we've ever made - we believe it's the best tuner by any measure.

State of the art Clip-On Tuner
    Polyphonic perfection: The best polyphonic tuner to date
    New strobe tuner with +/- 0.02 cent accuracy

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Demon

Demon Producer

Holy shit. Now I know what I want for Christmas...

Thanks for sharing!

4. smoothripple

smoothripple Kapellmeister

I think my Taylor 814 deserves this tuner in it's case.

And it will have it. Cuz it's my baby.

Edit 05 OCT 15:
    Finally got around to ordering it today. I'll post again with my impressions when it gets here & I have used it a bit.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  5. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

6. smoothripple

It came today.

I have been buying tuners since they came in big black boxes with carrying handles on top. I still own quite a few different types & brands. Of all the ones I have owned & of all the ones I have borrowed this one is definitely the best.

Extremely easy, quick, & accurate. I have a very old & beatup Washburn acoustic that is difficult to tune [To E for slide]. Took maybe 40 seconds to get it in perfectly.

I have several electrics that I tune to E also & I am going to set the intonation tomorrow on them both. They are a special problem because I have the action a little high on them both. When fretting at the 12th fret the pitch goes up when I press the string down. I figure once I get the open chord perfect I can just do a full 6 string chord using harmonics at the 12th fret & the tuner should indicate whats what.

Only one thing I don't like. It doesn't have a protective case & won't quite fit into an Altoids can. I'll have to use a cloth sack till I find a suitable hard container.

Bottom line: Buy it. You won't regret it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

I have/rely on TC Polytune pedal for my electric guitars and basses along with the clip on model for my acoustics guitars, basses and other stringed instruments. They are worth their weight in gold and as good as it gets for the price. As accurate and alot easier to use as any of my Petersons

Smoothripple is spot on with that bottom line :wink:

All the best

8. @smoothripple, I was thinking of getting one for my violin playing daughter. Would the clipping mechanism on the PolyTune Clip in your opinion be able to be fastened somewhere on her instrument so she could reap the benefit from using one? Thanks.

9. smoothripple

I don't know. I don't have access to a violin to test it.

[​IMG]

I can say that the clip opens to 1 inch gap [2.54 cm] with a working depth of 1 1/16 inch [2.7 cm]. That working depth is determined by the raised black rubber part shown in the center of the image. I would say the barest minimum that is needed to get a grip is 3/8 inch [1 cm] but that may slip off.

All that is needed is space to grip and pick up vibrations. I have experimented with various places on a guitar to clip it to and it even works on a strap button.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Thanks for your answer, A tuning knob would work, as you need not adjust them as the fine tuning mechanism is what is used the vast majority of the time. Cool.

11. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Have had the TC Polytune on my iPhone for about two years now ...... outstanding tuner!!!!

12. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I already own the Polytune pedal on my pedalboard since years back (love it!) and I'm getting this clip one too.
    What blows my mind, is how advanced technology has improved lately and how this technology still is dirt cheap. I'm writing an essay right now and during research I read that it was only in 1958 that Jack Kilby invented the IC/microchip (with borrowed gear). We've come a long way!

13. You can say that again!

14. Sakurahime

Sakurahime Noisemaker

It is really amazing. I record a lot at the studio, and I am a total neurotic concerning tuneing the Guitar when you record with it. I own the two polytune pedals, and I thought the clip on would be shit, it could not by any means be as accurate as the pedals, but fuck it, it IS!!
    Really awesome time saver! (I don't like tuning pedals being in my signal chains (I know, it is hard bypass, shut up, lamers! :) ))

15. smoothripple

I know what you mean.

I record with Guitar > amp [I have collected quite a few over the years - each sounds different] > Sennheiser e906 [or DI].

I have some impressive effects but it seems as I get older I use them less, almost never [maybe Wah with slide] .

Might be that I can glean the essence from whichever guitar I am using more skillfully now. Or maybe not.