(poll) Do you use Windows 10, 11 or older?

Discussion in 'PC' started by toetea, Jan 31, 2024.

?

Current Windows Version?

1. 7

12 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 10

82 vote(s)
    62.1%
  3. 11

38 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

That's the thing, they're very hard to disable. And they like to turn themselves back on unless you really get in there in safe mode and do some registry fiddling.

2. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

That is no fun. I just want to install things and get to work. I work in Vanilla Windows 10 Pro (edit: settings/services modified and programs removed to my specifications) and it is as perfect as I could want.

Windows 10 might be where this train ends.
    Thank you for the suggestion, and yes there is no rush with these things. Only hassle is installing everything on a clean machine, but it also serves as a moment of reflection.

One does not have to have everything installed, unless project compatibility requires, then that might be bigger problem.

edit: I saw this linked in the forum and checked it out, this looks very useful for quickly tweaking your fresh Vanilla 10 or 11 install.
    https://revi.cc/revios/download
    A list of what it tweaks:
    https://revi.cc/docs/faq/before/features
    Benchmarks:
    https://imgur.com/a/v72g8vA

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  3. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

Disabled Windows update last year thru cmd when my comp tried to update to 11 from 10 without my asking which pissed me off severely.
    I was drunk and can't remember how I disabled updates.
    Now I can't re-enable them to update to 11.
    I always hated Windows, now I hate it more:snuffy:

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Windows is like that psycho girlfriend where the sex is great but she might knife you in your sleep.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Can I recommend O&O Shut Up? A simple way to disable this & that, like Cortana, telemetry and what have you.

I also use Start11 to replace the old taskbar, and set start menu to my liking, it also can replace the start menu search with Everything, which is great.

6. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

ReviOS 10 for me, it just worx .

7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Mac: High Class Hotel Prostitute
    Looks amazing
    Won't do what you want, just what she wants
    Clean
    Not really into you and doesn't care if you know it
    Hard to afford

PC/Win: Cheap Street Hooker
    Looks ok, maybe
    Disease is an issue
    Does anything you want, even THAT
    Good at it too
    Available anywhere
    Cheap!

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Different dlls. With less than 128 different the limit is your hardware - and to be honest, I've never been remotely close to this limit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

More than likely you did it with your firewall. The other way is to block the relevant addresses in your Hosts file.

10. opp

opp Guest

7 was best interface. 10 is best functioning current os for daw. 11 suuuuuucks!!!! a big pita.

11. zadiac

zadiac Ultrasonic

@toetea the version I'm running installs without any bloatware. No need for a debloater. The toolbox that installs with it, gives you options to install components that were left out, like Microsoft Store, Edge, Firefox, etc. When you install, you can choose between Win with Defender, or without....and it's fast. Did I mention it's fast? It also blocks updates until 2077 and regularly gives you options to install standalone updates compiled by the author himself, GhostSpectre. Check it out

In the description are links to download the ISO image or to download the latest standalone update. It installs fully activated, but you can choose to activate it with your own key if you want. I'll probably never use another windows ever than the ones that he compiles.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

The 3 computers are configured very differently, both in terms of software and hardware, so a direct comparison is difficult. I mean an i9-13900K to R5 3600 difference. You can say that if a software runs on Win10, it will also run on Win11. Many people criticize Win11 because many functions have either been modified or restricted. Personally, I find it okay for most tasks. It's a matter of getting used to it. For power users,... well. Windows Security is more aggressive. A lot has changed visually and in terms of organization. Also in terms of consistency, although this is only superficially the case. Win11 reacts somewhat slower than Win10 in some cases, i.e. context menus and windows take a few milliseconds longer to open. But in terms of audio stuff, I honestly don't notice any difference.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

One big concern of mine is the aggressiveness of the security in the newer OS. I would consider myself a power user and do not want my experience to get hindered. I should just stay where I am comfortable this time. :)

@Sinus Well what OS are you running with your i9? Win10?

@zadiac I just have hard time trusting modified OS, even if many people use it.
    I would rather have less performance for the peace of mind.

14. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Yes, Win10. Completely offline. It will probably stay that way for many years to come.

15. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

No one uses Windows 8. It didn't even need including in the poll. :rofl:

My rule of thumb is skip every other major version:
    Use: 95, 98SE, XP, Win7, Win10
    Skip: 98, Me, Vista, Win8, Win11

16. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

Fantastic.:shalom:
    Seems to be the rule of thumb for many. Upgrading each time is a hassle and mostly unnecessary.

Someone in this thread uses Windows 8! I really liked Windows 8 actually, 8 to 7 is like what 11 is to 10, total revamp of UI.
    Going from 8 to 10 was disappointing but after all this time 10 is my favorite.

Most new features in 11 that are native can easily be replaced by long-time open-source software in the Win10 environment.

For the native file explorer improvements we have total commander, and for native sandbox we have sandboxie or virtualbox. Those two might be the most important of the new features.

After some research the choice is almost irrelevant, 10 or 11 works, performance differences are small. You are mainly upgrading for some slight new native features, most not really important for my/our use cases, and a more simplified user experience, for better or for worse.
    Also potentially more settings to tweak than 10. Also make sure your drivers and software are compatible with your OS and hardware choices.

If you are tired of 10 then 11 or 12 is your calling.

17. KidPix

KidPix Producer

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

Win 10 Pro here... it, works ok. Sometimes I miss Win7 (lighter, faster), but maintenance in Win 10 PRO works much better!
    About Win 11, when it comes to security it is much more nervous than version 10, so I'll only use it when there is no other option!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

A couple of months ago I upgraded my helper computer, a Thinkpad laptop, to a Superlite Windows 10 ("PhoenixOS"), because I needed to run some programs and plugins that stopped supporting Windows 7. otherwise I'd still run (also very "lite" version) W7 Pro on it. I use this laptop exclusively for running Reaper ReaStream and ReaMote with various Windows only plugins, so it made sense. If I was using Internet on it... actually I don't want to even think about it. :rofl:

Most of the Windows plugins I like still run perfectly fine on W7, though. I kinda regret I "upgraded", but doesn't matter... this version of W10 works pretty good and is not in the way, uses only 800MB on startup, same as W7 I had.

@recordingisfun : When Microsoft talks about improvements in audio, they are talking to people who watch Youtube and listen to Windows Media Player whole day, not professional audio... they did improve the audio side of things for these use cases, but also made more complicated for professional audio use cases. And there are more background tasks as always instead of less, which would improve professional audio usage. We need the OS to do less, not more. More streamlined audio stack, not 3 different audio layers and APIs.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  20. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List