(poll) Do you use Windows 10, 11 or older?

Discussion in 'PC' started by toetea, Jan 31, 2024.

?

Current Windows Version?

1. 7

12 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 10

82 vote(s)
    62.1%
  3. 11

38 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

I just want to get an idea of what windows version most use here. Would appreciate your input, thank you.

I use 10 right now and cannot upgrade on this system, but how is Win11 for those that use it? It's been a couple years now. Any issues that can get in the way of work or things people should know when fresh installing?

Are there any softwares that work only in Win10 and not 11?

For some reason Gadget 3 is Win11 only? Is that just a joke? Could it maybe work on 10? Anyone tried?

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget/specifications.php

:bow:

edit: extra info I found on the forum if you have questions like me

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star

Windows 7, only a few new plugins don't work, and I didn't use them anyway :cheers: for internet I have Linux :speaker:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

To the trenches I go... children and women first ...:rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Neponset

Neponset Ultrasonic

I wish I could still use 7 but my laptop doesn't support it.

@toetea gadget 3 works on windows 10 for me

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. zadiac

zadiac Ultrasonic

Recently switched over to 11. Not bad. Faster than my W10 was. Everything works fine. No problems. Will see where this goes. I'm using the GhostSpectre Compact W11. Stripped down and no bloadware and optimized. Very nice.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I hate 11 and right now I'm stuck on it. I hated 10 too but mostly for the dumb interface and Cortana. I can't use 7 any more for reasons. 11 is militant about not letting you get around their "protections". It's a chore.

• List
  8. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I used Windows 7 for a long time. That was a really good version.
    I then set up a new computer with Windows 10 in 2020 and finally got it to run stable and fast with a lot of detailed work.
    Not bad for a Windows to run stable after > 4 Years btw.
    I will also only use Windows 11 when there is no other option.
    I wish audio software manufacturers weren't always so quick to abandon support for older OS versions (usually without necessity, because the new "gimmicks" are not used anyway)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

That poll only allows one option. I have more than one PC and more than one O/S. Win 7 for all my audio stuff and 10 for everything else.

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

The obvious being because MS no longer supports it? If so, there are ways to make a pc stable using 7 that both protects you from viruses and any suspect activity.

You just need Tinywall (Firewall) and Shadow Defender (Treats your computer like a giant sandbox, once you know how to set it up correctly)

Got ya hard hat ready? :P

11. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Win10 LTSC, for me its been by far the most stable version of windows Ive ever used. Barebones Windows OS with no bloat. I'll stick with it until I'm forced to upgrade, if ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

I use win10 in the studio and win11 in my home studio and office. So... both.

13. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

The result is obvious : a lot of softwares DON'T work on win 7 anymore
    And no one force you to win 11 ... so win 10 is up front.

I could already tell the result : it is pure logic

14. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

Yes if it is not broken, don't fix it. :) :bleh:
    If you really want to go back to 7, you can do some research and buy the best components you can that support Windows 7 and you can build your own super 7 workstation!

Also thank you for letting me know, do you use .25 or .26 version?
    Good to hear, I have some trust issues so in that type of case I would, but first learn how to debloat my own Windows ISO.
    10 seems to be the happy medium, since 7 and 11 come with their own set of problems. I have been satisfied with 10 so far. No instability.
    At first I didn't like it.

Could you share some workarounds for when installing wares?
    You can keep running 10 until 2034 and beyond, ideally that's what you would do on a music machine. That's also when having an offline machine is most important also.
    Sorry, :rofl: I just didn't want my poll results to get diluted. I would assume you chose 7 for the poll, since we are talking about music here mainly. :)
    Agreed, I think the only time worth considering upgrading OS is maybe if you buy the newest mobo and cpu.
    No differences? Mostly same software installed on both?
    Sometimes (a lot of times), reality is not logical. :guru: But a wise man would use Windows 10, or if wiser maybe 7. I appreciate your input and comments.

My computer is almost 10 years so I am looking into migrating into a newer machine later in the year or next year. The motherboard I looked at supports Windows 10 and 11, but would I lose anything by installing Windows 10 with new cpu and mobo? I have no proof but I feel like Windows 11 would use newer hardware better. Puget shows that the difference is very minor. I also heard that upgrading from Win10 to 11 is messy, it is better to install fresh 11.

If you are looking for maximum compatibility probably best to stay with Windows 10. It would be hard to know without testing if very old softwares (2002-2016 32-bit vst/vsti and dx/dxi) will work the same in Windows 11, or am I just hallucinating? Windows 10 and 11 is same pretty much, just new look and more security garbage and junk software need to uninstall.
    But at least you get support after 2025. :mad:
    Forced security updates (not 10 to 11) are :deep_facepalm:

edit: Thank you to those that voted.

15. recordingisfun

recordingisfun Member

If you're still using Win 7 you're gimping your audio setup bigtime because there have been MANY improvements done in Win 10 for audio related things... Like way too many to mention. If you followed the Win 10 thread on gearspace where Psychlist1972 (a Microsoft employee and musician) posted a great deal of info about what they had changed and added for audio related functionality you would drop Win 7 like a bad habit. One crucial thing is the amount of plugins you can run or what they called the FLS limit... Basically there is a limit in Win 7 of 128 dlls (going off memory here) loaded at any given time. After that you basically cant load anymore plugs... Now in windows 10 its something like 4000+ dlls which is more then enough for anyone. There was A LOT of people running into this issue in Studio One, where you would try an load another plugin in a huge session and it would just fail. There was even an update to studio one to sort of deal with his particular issue at the time and someone even made a little program called FLS checker so you could figure out how many plugs you had loaded.

There's also several audio related windows drivers that have been reworked and update.. Not too mention a bunch of midi related stuff. Its been awhile since I've read the thread, so all the details elude me at this point... but there was A LOT of stuff changed for our benefit as music creators.

Here s some threads that may go into it - Windows 10 Audio Worksation build and tweak guide - Gearspace
    Windows 10 is rolling out... share your experiences here - Gearspace
    Gearspace - View Profile: Psychlist1972 - View more posts from him and you might find some helpful info.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

^^^^^^^
    This is a big point. I'd like to blast my machine to go back to Windows 10 but I'm not quite ready for that level of commitment to reinstalling everything yet.

17. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

I tried 11 after 10 and it's not that different, either in performance or usage.

Sure, you have to do a bit of tweaking to get rid of some shit and restore the normal taskbar (for instance), but you have to tweak pretty much the same on windows 10.

Since there's some stuff that's built with the Windows8 apis (maybe there's software out there that's strictly 10+ but I'm yet to see it) those won't work with 7, at least not without hardcore tweaks. So 11 for me, but if you can use 10, then there's no benefit to "upgrade". Maybe one day, but not just yet.

18. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Win11 security measures are more draconian. Or it seems to me, maybe I'm wrong.

19. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

Thank you guys. This is all helpful.
    From what I have read, I believe there are some settings (which I do not know, one is for the defender) that need to be disabled and then it is almost like Win10 in regard to that.

What I worry about is not being able to run legacy software in Windows 11 with or without bridging (depending on the architecture of the plugin), but if most things works, it would be the perfect os for newer hardware.

20. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

8.1 here. Since 2015. Rock solid.
    All I need has always worked pretty fine.
    What I have not been able to install, I did not use before anyway (one exception: Vital vst synth updates after 1.0.8 - I am stuck with this one).

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

I use Windows X-Lite 'Optimum 10 Pro.
    I can highly recommend it.
    I'm flirting with the Windows X-Lite 'Optimum 11 Pro.
    But all in good time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List