POLL - Can we have single columns back on Audioz?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by necrophagist, Jan 15, 2014.

?

The return of single columns on audioz?

1. Yes

71.3%
  2. No

16.7%
  3. Dont Mind

12.0%
  1. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

I did not like the double columns at first BUT

It makes sense to see the older stuff that has been re-upped.
    In my case I upgraded a computer and the old stuff is not readily available.
    There's a ton of dead links unless you see it re upped

Sure backups help but stuff happens.

I like the double columns

Now if we could make the recent posts box longer that would rawk

Voo

2. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thats my main request too.. :wink:

3. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

I'm still wondering why there is poll about something for AudioZ on AudioSex??

4. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

I also voted for the one column design.
    I find the two columns too cluttered and too distracting.

With one column it would be also possible to make the column wider, thus enabling larger images and a slightly larger font.
    I find the font now a bit too small on a full HD monitor.

This "why are creative people against change" talk is just utter nonsense, honestly.
    Change doesnt mean always = better.
    Why should a creative person (or anybody else for that matter) want a change for the worse?

The new logo looks great, very good job on that :wink:

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Nobody sets out on an endeavor to do something worse and with something as dividing as this there will be some that will love it and some that will be less enthused. It also depends on your setup and hardware so that's a factor too.

6. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Sure I did, cause I'm smart.

Have you tried thanking yourself as well? :rofl:

And about Win 8, it's all about preference and willingness to change.
    It took me 6 months to get used to Win7. Mainly because I was 'deeply rooted' in XP. And even now, I still do dualboot. There's a whole tree of dependencies that needs to be built inside a new OS and that takes a while.

Yet for some people, the transition is instantaneous, my friend uses Win 8 for a year now, while my brother is many years on Debian (Linux distro), using Win7 only for games and won't 'upgrade' to Win8 in next 10 years :rofl:
    So it all breaks down at where each preferences lie. :wink:

Want to exercise adaptability? Install Win 98 or GeOS :bleh:

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Haven't had a single crash OS related though when I was testing out Fallout 3 it did crash in a way that used to mean a hard reset. Now I was easily able to close it and continue using my system. It's not even Windows 8's fault because that always happened on XP too. *yes*

The file copy/move dialog box is GREATLY improved as is the Task Manager. The crap in Windows 7 looks like a joke compared to that.

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Not yet but it's on my list. :rofl:

I'm a programmer so I'm thinking of how it can be used not as intended. *yes*

9. meatball

meatball Noisemaker

This may be a stupid idea, but--

How about putting Windows posts in the left-hand column and Mac posts in the right-hand column...

10. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

So that everyone has a column on the screen which he doesn't need?

Great idea :rofl: :bleh:

11. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Guys please give SAiNT a break because he's really overworked right now. He will open a topic on this subject in the future but right now we have pressing matters to tend to and we would also like to sleep sometime this year.

12. SkyRed

SkyRed Newbie

+1 on single columns. Every single post is actually a godsend, a small grain of happiness, so to say :), so it deserves all the horizontal focus. Many columns, while seemingly reasonable at first sight, very much distorts the user experience, one does not know where to focus, so this leads to confusion. -at least for me

13. necrophagist

necrophagist Newbie

BILLION KUDOS! this is exactly what i mean.. :)

14. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I actually really get where you're coming from and I like the wording and content of your post but I'll tell you a few reasons why it's better this way:

1) We have new site news and industry news sections so with 2 columns we can make announcements that aren't vital but should be visible such as the one we had there before.

2) Reups that aren't fresh releases will be posted through archive and you can easily see something that you've been waiting on...unless you download everything we have which to me is just mind-boggling. :wow:

3) wallpaper and NICNT files - many of you complain about when they're in the fresh releases feed...why I can't imagine but you do. This way they can be placed in archive and you can still see them but not have them get in the way of your fresh release viewing.

4) Magazines and e-books are put in archive so otherwise you might miss them. I actually caught a few things since we put this up that I would never have seen. Yes you can use recent posts but here it's all right there for you so no need to click a million times.

5) We have a new music section and I was actually thinking of starting my own posts in there when I come upon something of interest that I'd like to share, so may other people. You don't want that in fresh releases right and I don't want other uploaders working their ass off for a spot on a recent post page.

There's probably more but I don't have all day for this just wanted to give you another perspective. I think we're so used to only paying attention to one thing: new releases and there's a lot that this forum has to offer besides that. I still respect your points of view and right to an opinion. :bow:

15. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I think we're so used to only paying attention to one thing: new releases and there's a lot that this forum has to offer besides that. <----

For yet another perspective...

You have to realize that a LOT of people, I can imagine, only come here for new releases.. and all of the "other stuff to offer" isn't as interesting or usable to us, as it may be to u.

Im sure, like me, most of us have several sites they flip thru everyday, sometimes several times a day.. Audioz is just one of them.. Most people don't live on the site like 'some' may.

For this reason, a direct, expeditious view of the newest releases is paramount, not old releases, a calender, requests etc.. If anything, they are nothing more than a hindrance, not helpful in anyway.

Why not just have a old releases link, a requests link, Industry News link etc...on the left sidebar, If someone wants that, then one click gets them there. I have no interest at all, as I'm sure many others, in any of this stuff.

OR.. A New Release link on left that I can go to, bookmark, and never have to return to the main page ever again if that's my choice?

I've been on Audioz forever, Ive logged in over and over when for some reason I had to.

Since the site has changed.. I haven't.

16. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

People complain about the request box but I'm sure it was put there because there was space next to the AudioZ forum feed which is bigger in size than the calendar and all that other stuff so nothing else would fit. I think it's a little ridiculous to not log-in to a site simply because they changed the layout a little. As if that one thing that you don't like as much outweighs the millions of features that we've added. We can't be limited in what we can try based on what the users expect because then we can never try anything unless everyone is on board which would never happen. I've also given you many many other reasons besides what you've quoted. I find I'm spending more and more time there and I LOVE it. So does pretty much everyone that's signed in.

17. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

No offense but.. I personally feel that for every objection someone raises, instead of trying to empathize you would prefer to try to emphasize your own preferences and how much better they are.

As if.. being an admin, Mod somehow makes ur way right?

Feels a lot like rationalizing.

at least, in reading these threads that's how I feel.

Good managers listen and make appropriate adjustments based on gathered consensus.. they don't try to explain why others are wrong.

However, I realize it's ya'lls baby and understand why you want to do it your way...but.. just because you LOVE IT.. doesn't mean I have to. :thumbsup:

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Oh please, don't give me that crap. No offense but we're not your employees, you don't pay us and yet we still go above and beyond for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week with service you couldn't buy. The fact that you would even make a statement like that and include the words "no offense" like that somehow nullifies the offensive nature of your comment is :bleh: . It's not a rationalization, I'm explaining to you some of the reasons behind the decision that we made and they're all good ones. A lot of you seem to think that your desires are the only ones that matter in this equation and no we're not bad administrators if we don't do what you want the minute you want it. There is no right and there is no wrong here this is just a matter of opinion and functionality. To say that we don't listen or empathize with you is the height of absurdity especially in light of the fact that we've just allowed torrents. You seem to forget that we have to balance a lot of different facets of these projects not just one. Single column and people complain about NICNT releases god forbid entering their field of view for a moment in their fresh releases even if that post is by someone that just spent time working on that release for the forums to be able to use a Kontakt library and it's really useful. And it's not just a matter of adding a link, there are code changes that would have to be made and a redesign of some of the GUI and it would take a lot of time and energy that could be spent on something like advanced search for example which we really do need. I know one thing...no matter what we did you would certainly be unhappy, that comes as no surprise to me. *no*

19. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

What it means is , you don't have to take offense, as I understand why what gets done, gets done.. it's a preface to my own personal opinion, that you can choose to ignore.

Anyway, No offense is a common preface to an objection, or an offense.. Most people use it to try to soften the blow a little, or as an act of pre-apology.. I'm sure you have before. :thumbsup:

...and yes, you don't work for us... I never said you did.... Just offered up my critique.

Maybe some sleep is in order, :)

Ive said enough on this.. I don't want to create enemies at all.. I'm just too damn groovy for all that :mates:

20. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Sorry guys/gals I'm with Catalyst on this one :wink:

I love the new site, everything about it actually :break:

But i know so to say the old heads hate change, 'Hear Me Out' you go to the site and you have a work-flow!!!!!
    (looking here, helping there, posting)Shoot some of you probably got 2 or 3 tabs open, flying through content on any given day.

But i find it appalling that some of you users spoiled '@Audioz' (not calling anybody out, just a Firm response) see someone's hard work & time and try to justify it's blocking your experiences and field of view as some of the post your referencing is that of my work *no* i feel compelled to speak up, a little gratitude is all i need. This is kind of discouraging :excl: is that what you want Audioz to become???

I respect everybody's opinion, as in return please respect mine :bow:
    Let God bless you & let's get back the good times,

Signing off
    The Ninja