[POLL] Best MacOS version for music production

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by baldur, May 15, 2020.

?

What is the best MacOS version for music production?

1. 10.10

1.7%
  2. 10.11

1.7%
  3. 10.12

5.0%
  4. 10.13

23.3%
  5. 10.14

51.7%
  6. 10.15

16.7%
  1. baldur

baldur Newbie

What is the best MacOS version for music production? Given that I'll be "borrowing" a lot of applications and plugins to test them out.

I'm currently running 10.15, but found out that there's a lot of software that doesn't work.

3. shankar

shankar Platinum Record

The best OS will be the one that is most suitable for your computer, and therefore also suitable for your money.

Today's softwares are developed for today's machines.
    Software ever more powerful and ever more resource consuming.
    If you want to be able to work with powerful and current software, you will need a recent computer too.

The best example? The latest update to Logic pro X 10.5, only works with Mojave or Catalina! :suicide:
    I have been a Mac user for over 20 years and today I am more and more disappointed with their politics

Usually I wait between 6 months and a year to install a new OS.
    I avoid too recent systems because there are often bugs, problems of compatibility with software and their updates.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  4. baldur

baldur Newbie

I seem to be able to run most programs decently on my Mac running Catalina, so processing power is not a problem.

But I'm having a hard time finding cracked versions of software that I want to try out, that work on 10.15. So I think I need to at least downgrade to 10.14 (before all the 64/32 bit problems occurred).

But I'm mostly wondering if I should downgrade even further, to maybe 10.12 or 10.13, based on the availability of cracked software. F.x. I could only find Altiverb that was guaranteed to work on 10.10.

I would like to add that I'm doing this to test out the software, and intend to buy all products that I end up using :)

5. willnubu75

willnubu75 Ultrasonic

OS X tiger. Probably their most solid OS out of all of them.

6. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

I use Mojave. I usually: 1. Wait until the bugs are squashed. Being an early adopter is no good when your machine is for production work. 2. Make my OS move when it's absolutely necessary that the latest version of my DAW requires an OS upgrade *and* the upgrade is worth it. In the end, work with is best suitable for your workflow.

7. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Running on a MacBook Air that was Upgraded from High Sierra to Catalina.

Using Logic Pro X 10.5.0 & Reaper 6 with mostly stock plugins.

Logic has excellent plugins keeping pace or out performing so-called 3rd party plugin developers.

9. lancexx

lancexx Producer

I picked 10.14 because it shipped with my current machine (I think) and has been incredibly stable with two crashes which were both caused during wine emulation. Dark mode + finder is better than any sample browser.

10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Honourable mention to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 running Logic 9.1.8 in 32 or 64bit mode.
    Otherwise, Sierra preferred over Mojave right now.

11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

If I could I'd still use SnowLeopard. It's the last OSX version without all the integrated iOS bullshit and Siri and whatnot.

Since I can't I'd say HighSierra hands down (if you don't need Logic 10.5)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Than you obviously havnet tried any sample browser :) Finder playback is supersloooow compared to Snapper or AudioFinder. And even theses are snails compared to Resonic but thts another topic

13. baldur

baldur Newbie

But that's ancient..... I probably can't run many new programs on that, right?

14. iphobbes

iphobbes Ultrasonic

I am on macOS Mojave 10.4.6 ,
    I believe in being on the cutting edge os that a specific machine has the capacity to run.
    Most of the new trinkets in future will require new os or upgrades, also it's good to have new workflow learning curves without any machine downtimes.
    If the os has the capability to further nourish your music output creativity then that is the way to go.
    Apple always pushes certain buttons. Like sometimes dusting the carpet and sometimes giving users a brand new one. With older OSs some felt familiar and at ease and were able to use some paid old 32 bit software, also mind & muscle memory of using something that one used for many projects.

i Use Reaper, Logic Pro x, Ableton Live on a mac and Reaper also on a win 10 machine (this one only for teaching my students).
    i didn't even try Catalina reasons:

1-No 32 bit support i had few of these 32bit apps , (but even on mojave Logic refuses to run 32 bit apps and require a Soundradix 32lives layer to work)
    Actually i have looked for alternatives to most of the old 32 bit plugin alternatives and training myself to just use new 64 bit plugins.

2- I feel it has a different security protocol , and make you give more permissions for some autorun background tasks, not so daunting as you can maximize energy and cpu usage and having no 'not required processes to run.

3- Apple hurriedly implemented some heavy policies on plugin makers that the actually have separate installers for people on Catalina and people not on catalina , so many man hours wasted just to say stay on the board and have your arm twisted. They could've given users an option to run 32 bit apps in a layer but you are also given a logsheet of what one is sacrificing being on a 32 bit system.

music and nostalgia can never be separated but i would say future proof your workflow stay with 'whats on' and 'whats coming'.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  15. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Platinum Record

I keep saying it again and again. Catalina is fine. I have it on all my machines
    I've run the Catlina Patcher on my Mid 2011 Mac mini No problems
    My 27' i7 iMac No Problems
    My 2015 i7 Macbook Pro again no problems
    I run Bitwig 3.2/ Studio One 4/ Logic 10.5/ Adobe Audition
    I've purchased all my Daws and extras for Studio One (fantastic plugins)
    Omnisphere/ Kontakt 6/ Waves 11/ izotope/ Sugarbytes / Arturia and a bunch of third party plugs all running perfectly.
    Why would you want to run 32 bit applications? It perplexes me why you would want to run older plugins.. move up move on.

16. willnubu75

willnubu75 Ultrasonic

Correct but still was solid in it’s day. Especially the PowerPC version.

17. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

everything but catalina, even tho i heard that there are complains with mojave too when it was released so i stay on 10.13

18. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    No probs with Catalina either (except a couple of plugins that have 32bit installer) otherwise Snow Leopard was the best. Not just for music production. For EVERYTHING

19. bdone

bdone Member

yep snow leopard was the best i reckon, but on high sierra now

20. bdone

bdone Member

Glad to hear all good ,might make the move.

21. groove

groove Kapellmeister

for me Catalina is the best no problem at all ... the reel question is a complete one ... which version of OS X run the best with or without cracked software ... for me with most of legit product it's catalina for sure but now if you want to run old or OpenSSH shit obviously perhaps it's not the right choice...