plugins which raise gain while doing actualy nothing ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gyro Gearloose, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

so i heard bout a trick devs use to scam magic mojo , they raise gain by just inserting them without doing actualy nothing and some ppl like me think then oh magic mojo but no its not it is just raising gain just by standart , just by inserting it ...

adictive drums comp is such a one someone told me !

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Everyone does it: from waves over UAD to plugin alliance. deal with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. odod

odod Rock Star

that is why i bought this thing ..

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Gyro Gearloose

6. Free Agent

Free Agent Platinum Record

Wow, this is the pluing i have been looking for a while, especially for workflow.

7. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

In the other thread, didn't you say there are still some bugs with this one? As also another member said?
    And of course, video is wrong: AB_LM works in other daws apart from Live! hehe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

This is not a new "trick" by the developers. It's been used since the late 90's when showcasing VSTs/VSTis.

1) Countless scientific tests have shown that we percieve louder music (even if the mix/master/music is exactly the same in A and B) as sounding "better".
    2) The equal loudness curve (Robinson-Dadson) changes.
    3) High sound pressure also moves our internal organs and music becomes more physical.
    4) At higher loudness and SPL our primal brain is signaling danger, and thus demand more focus (and releases chemicals to activate our senses). Almost like a reward/awakening/alert. We feel more "alive".

I've used this "trick" many times in the studio where I increased the volume when listening back to to a mix or master. The client then thinks it sounds better. I don't do this (or rely on this) anymore, as I know my mixes are good (even on shitty phone speaker). Developer's shouldn't do it either, if they are confident about their product. If you find one who level-match (on youtube, audio demos, etc) then it's very likely their product is good/great/awesome (IMO).

Many beginners fall for this "louder is better" trap. They produce and mix and keep increasing the volume because it sounds better. But it's much harder to make fine-tunings and objective changes, as "everything sounds good loud". It also brings ear-fatigue and ear damage in the longer run.

This effect is also called The Boiling Frog Effect, as you keep increasing the volume until you take a break. When you get back from the break and hit play you are thrown back at how loud it is. Like "who tf turned up the volume while I was taking a shit!?!"-loud.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog
    Same thing with car crashes. 7 out of 10 car crashes (iirc) in the old days had the car stereo volume loud af. So the tow guys first had to turn the volume down of the dead stereo before they tried to start the engine to move the car, otherwise they would be blasted by loud volume.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Cheeky buggers. :rofl:

Well, Baxter broke it down very eloquently for everybody, I think. :wink:

Just to mention that there are some plugins who saturate and slightly increase loudness because they emulate hardware transformers or similar, like PSP FETpressor. It adds nicely sounding saturation and a very slight gain, so anything you put through it sounds better, or "better"? It might be just "better". :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. pratyahara

pratyahara Pending Deletion

Like salesmen in Hi-Fi shops. If you do not seem convinced, they increase the volume. And they keep on doing so until they completely ruin the loudspeakers' transient response. At that point they will surely sell you the gear.

11. livemouse

livemouse Producer

Probably all plugins destroy the integrity of the original signal. So if alteration to a signal is the scale of effectiveness, the worst plugin would be the one that does the least alteration to the original signal and conversely the best plugins would write over the file with zeroes.

12. odod

odod Rock Star

yea but the bug is not really a big deal, and the developer is really good and quick in response

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I think in most cases they do whatever they do but also they raise the loudness to trick you into thinking it sounds better. I mean artificially, not like for instance in a high gain guitar amplifier simulator.
    Bastards :trolls:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Gyro Gearloose

but the few who dont do it would be nice to kno !!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Create a Preset and adjust the gain, call it Unity, save it, set it as a default preset and move on. CLA-2A even has a preset called "Unity". And if it bothers you, code a plugin which is at unity gain on inserting it. Good luck marketing that! When I insert a analog modeled plugin I want changes in the sound – otherwise I wouldn't use a clean EQ/Compressor. Anybody worring about shit like this, has too much time at their hands arguing over nothing.

16. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

There's a Max for Live device called Volume Compensator that does this