Plugins crash Live 11 but work fine in Live 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by heero, Jul 14, 2023.

1. heero

heero Newbie

Hi all! I tend to lurk and find a lot of great advice here, but I've searched and have not found anyone asking this issue. I recently upgraded to Monterey and Live 11.3.4. I am noticing that a few select plugins from the sister site have issues in LIve 11, but none in Live 10:
    1. All Nugen Audio Plugins (Crash on loading)
    2. Volumeshaper4 (Crash on loading)
    3. CamelPhat (No GUI)
    4. RC-20 (No GUI)
    5. NI FX (Crash on loading)
    6. UBK-1 (Crash on loading)
    The list actually continues but I guess I should stop there and ask... are others experiencing these issues? I have seen plenty of people comment that RC-20 has no GUI in Monterey, but I doubt they have both Live 10 and 11 installed because they would see that it works just fine in Monterey on Live 10.

If anyone else has experienced this, are there any potential solutions you may know of? I always do the typical Batchmod + codesigning so I doubt those will fix these problems unless I should be performing these elsewhere than the component & vst files.

Thanks so much for your time and any help.

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

You have listed way too many variables to address your problem systematically. you just updated your operating system. Using Migration Tool?

you can check ownership in terminal instead of checking them one at a time, since you have a lot of them with problems. you can go through each plugin folder and check:

$ ls -le /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3 and also just VST and Components folders. You will maybe find the ownership/acl/ and permissions have gone back to an old condition. You can use either BatChmod or Permissions Reset 2 to reset them how you want or previously had them. You may find newly created "mistakes".

You may also have broken digital signatures on the things you code signed previously. try this, it should do them all at one time and save you a lot of time. I haven't tested on Monterey specifically, but it certainly won't break anything. Codesigner should still work on Monterey too, but this will be less repeat typing password. It will only ask for your password 1 time if pasted all at once. It takes a little while, just let it do it's thing. You do still need to have xcode installed first.

cd /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/

find . -name "*.bundle" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.VST" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.vst3" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.component" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.dpm" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.bundle" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.VST" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.vst3" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.component" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.dpm" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;

Check your firewall ruleset and make sure all your old rules are still in place. Generally, if you try to add one and it already exists, it will give you an error. You will figure out pretty quick what to do about these.

This can quickly help rule out your first 3 major possible causes of this stuff you listed going on, by fixing them all in bulk; wether they need it or not. And of course, some plugins may just be incompatible with your new OS version. I haven't seen a Camelspace or Camelphat GUI in my Logic in years. There is always a possibility of some stragglers that will not work no matter what you do. You can delete,reinstall, and mess with plist files, etc one-by-one later.

a reboot probably wouldn't hurt. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  4. smoke

smoke Noisemaker

You probably need an update for all of your plugins. For example the latest version of Volumeshaper is 7. The latest release of camelphat was some years ago so if I remember correctly you can find a solution with macros but I suggest to find an alternative.

At the end in my opinion you have old plugins with a new OS and DAW and this thing can not work.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

He did not list all the problem plugins, and also not what OS/architecture he had switched from. This is why I posted "And of course, some plugins may just be incompatible with your new OS version". Or he could be stuck using things in Rosetta.

Camelphat, people did have working on newer MacOS quite recently. It was released MANY years ago, but a workaround was posted on this forum well after the release of Catalina. A very easy way to use the same guy's work is to simply install Logic. There is Alchemy, PhatFX, RemixFX, StepFX, etc. I never bothered to solve the Blank GUI on Mojave, because i had no reason to.

Volume Shaper is also easily replaced by Shaperbox2, LFO Tool, Duck, or Kickstart1 or 2. RC-20 will definitely work, so will the NI FX. Nugen I would have to check. UBK-1 probably will not work. It is an "Adobe Patched" plugin, from 2015. Most of those will not work after Mojave because they are 32 bit plugins,. They can also be Open SSH style hacks, or moving around /Applications/ilok/libstXX++.6.dylib sorts of files to get around it. Also not worth the time anyway, IMO. It is too easy to find substitutes and alternatives. I did a lot of this moving from Mojave to Ventura, on my i7; and of course only with AU plugins used only in Logic. You could also have to deal with VST formats Ableton no longer makes use of.

Other stuff that will not work people commonly ask about like Soundtoys, Sonnox, Soothe, McDSP, etc. aren't going to work and will generally be a complete waste of time.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023