Plugins are getting heavier

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wolfang, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

:rofl:

2. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

That is a bummer my man, so sorry to hear that. sigh....

3. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Just a side note - ReEQ is a plugin for Reaper (only, sorry guys), it looks and works almost like FabFilter Q3 but weighs just 50kb (unzipped around 500kb) :bleh:
    Why? It's plain javascript, no images, no AI, no hypetrain, no VST/AAX/AU or additional framework "shell"...

Check here:
    https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213501

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Hey, I need my pretty GUI. If that eats resources, so be it. Plugins that look pretty sound pretty :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Direct drive

Direct drive Producer

Just like Humans! Social media has ruined the young look! Lets use filters!

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Have you changed the CMOS battery?

CMOS battery prevents PC start-up
    If the computer no longer starts, an empty button cell may be responsible

The memory battery (aka motherboard, CMOS, real-time clock (RTC), clock battery)[1][6] is generally a CR2032 lithium coin cell. This cell battery has an estimated life of 3 years when power supply unit (PSU) is unplugged or when the PSU power switch is turned off.[7] This battery type, unlike the Lithium-ion battery, is not rechargeable and trying to do so may result in an explosion. Motherboards have circuitry preventing batteries from being charged and discharged when a motherboard is powered on. Other common battery cell types can last significantly longer or shorter periods, such as the smaller CR2016 which will generally last about 40% less time than CR2032. Higher temperatures and longer power-off time will shorten battery cell life. When replacing the battery cell, the system time and CMOS BIOS settings may revert to default values. Unwanted BIOS reset may be avoided by replacing the battery cell with the PSU power switch turned on and plugged into an electric wall socket. On ATX motherboards, the PSU will supply 5V standby power to the motherboard to keep CMOS memory energized while the system is off.

Have you tried another power supply unit? Cheap power supplies are usually the first to crash.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  7. Direct drive

Direct drive Producer

Replace the motherboard instead of following the sheep!!!

8. Direct drive

Direct drive Producer

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Plugins aren't getting heavier, they're just big-boned

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

There are a LOT of reasons to get heavier.
    RAM : non scalable high res GUI
    GPU : shiny visual effects
    CPU : java (yes, some coders use even java for plugins :rofl:) and more crap

Compare this with Sylenth1 :wink:

We came to a point TH-U Player (Kemper in a box) is using LESS resources than most guitar sims.
    Because it is WELL coded.

No problem with ppl "pushing" sells : we came to a point almost nobody will buy anything, apart food and energy

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Down with plugin fat shaming! All plugins are beautiful!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

13. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I figure any app that performs a necessary function for you is useful. If every application of the exact same type say an A.I EQ plugin as T.A mentioned is roughly the same size and all use around 8%-16% of resources is it bloatware? I do not believe so. However, if one is four times the size and uses four times the resources of every other plugin that does exactly the same thing, yes.

A new computer can last quite a while before it is outdated. That can be anywhere from 5-10 years before it has issues running any new version of a popular application. The usefulness of any product which uses a fair amount of resources is debatable as to needs of any user whether it is bloatware or not. e.g... MSOffice 4.3 next to MSOffice 2019 for example is near 100th of the size. The more than 20 year difference in release echoes the difference in computer advances too. To a person who never uses it they may call it bloatware. For them it would be.

14. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Of all of them arturia has the laggiest gui and loading times.

15. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Somehow, that doesn't come as a shock. I've never really messed with their effects plugins but nowhere have I seen anyone raving about them. Same with NI. But Arturia's insane install times with those billions and billions of bitmap images... it doesn't seem like they are worried about efficiency.

16. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I agree but I worked out why. Every single synthesiser is loaded ready for immediate use instead of loading just the interface then further loading a chosen synth on selection. It is a flip of a coin in preference which option is more useful. Their mixing and FX plugins do not have an excuse though.

17. poly

poly Platinum Record

Right but Reaper didn't looks eyecandy, so no good music making for me .. ^^

Edit: Oh i see Trurl posted the same truth about Reaper before..

18. Direct drive

Direct drive Producer

Everybody has been boned just like the younger generation!

Attached Files:

19. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Actually the ReEQ looks way better than most stock eq plugins in other daws, furthermore is Reaper the only daw I know with a real templating system (there are enough threads n posts bout that)... but yeah, the very lightweight Reaper stock plugins are not pretty at all. If you need eyecandy to make good music and don't know how to install and use vst plugins - Reaper isn't for you :no::bleh:

20. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

This is quite a lot of misinformation.
    1. JSFX is not JavaScript. It is EEL2.
    2. what is the basis of your assumption that there is no framework involved here? What do you think the code is running in?
    3. just like all other plugins that are a bit more complex than a simple volume controller, the code here uses external libraries.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022