plugins 4 adding analog warmth ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lovebeats, May 14, 2017.

1. sideshowtmc

sideshowtmc Producer

I build hw for a living & have tried every plugin pretty much, trust me when I say once you go acustica audio you won't go back. Either Nebula or Acqua, there is no comparison. I pretty much sold all my hw and got rid of almost every plugin except acustica. Soon I'm gonna sell off my 1608 and rest of hw most likely, few I'm hanging onto cus I built them myself or were gifted to me but I never use them anymore. Its way faster and easier to use acustica and the results are immaculate.

2. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

buy a Nakamichi Tapedeck....

3. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Neither. First one is the frequency response, or the EQ curve if you will. The second one measures THD (total harmonic distortion), which shows how much additional harmonics are created throughout the frequency spectrum. It measures how non-linear a system is - for example, if it's an amplifier (or boost guitar pedal, or headphone amplifier... whatever), a perfect one would introduce no harmonic distortion and if you give it a sine waveform, it will output a sine, but louder. In practice, it gets rectified and morphs a bit into a triangle/square. THD measures how much it changes. In our case we have -42.57dB which means the harmonics introduced by the EQ sit almost 43dB below the input, so it's a subtle thing. Note this doesn't show you EQ moves. EQ can only boost or cut what's already there. THD measures harmonics that weren't there before and got created in the process. It's a different thing. Also, THD+N stands for total harmonic distortion + noise and is a more standardized thing than THD, so it can be used to compare stuff. It's done by plugging a sine wave through the system, then cutting that sine out and calculating from this formula:

[​IMG]
    Both THD and THD+N are provided in either dB or percent. For example, the THD+N of that Pultec setting (-35.71dB) equals to 1.6%. This means the "amount" of "saturation" and "warmth" added is about 1.6%. That said, a square wave is a sine with ~48% THD, so more doesn't mean better.

Currently studying Computer Science at Rzeszów University of Technology, Poland. I'm on my first year at the moment.

Here's some interesting information I've found. The phenomenon is called soft clipping. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

There's also some great information here: http://www.tubecad.com/2006/05/blog0066.htm

And here are some graphs of a soft clipping circuit from his blog:

Some more interesting reads/watches:

https://www.trueaudio.com/at_eetjlm.htm

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. ia

ia Producer

So you will be a programmer?
    But where I can read about this time before the signal comes in? And what is this function?

5. ia

ia Producer

So this is something like a gate?