Plugin organizaiton

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by nephology, Dec 13, 2020.

1. nephology

nephology Newbie

Hi, let’s address smart(ish) organization/simplification of our plugins. I’m looking for tips.

Personally when I get a plugin, I install it in both AU and VST3. The VST3 option allows for it to be used in Bitwig, in case I ever want to use that. But apparently even Bitwig doesn’t necessitate non-AU, if one also installs/uses Blue Cat’s MB-7 Mixer.

Regardless, this is more about how to logically organize the files and folders.

-There are things installed at the root level.
    That is, “/” AKA “Macintosh HD”

-Also, there are things installed in two user folder (home & shared).
    That is, “/Users/Username”
    & “/Users/Shared”

Is all of this necessary? Jesus. Is it recommended to leave the installations where they were put during the installation process, and only change from the default installation locations (for the sake of organization) in the cases of being given the option in the installation process?

It just seems bizarre. I’m the only one who uses my computer. Why separate between root and user? And why have stuff in the “shared” folder? Sharing with who exactly? It’s my computer and they want their own I’ll give them some old Mac for X-Mas. Granted, “Shared” is created if you create multiple users. And I have, simply to prevent being locked out (both users are me and both have administrative access). For users who don’t have a “Shared” folder to deal with, just ignore that part. You probably still face the other stuff. Though I don’t see why I “shared” folder would even be needed, if plugins were simply installed at the root level. In fact, I saw a years-old page on the official apple website indicating that it’s best to install plugins at the root level, for that very reason.

And furthermore some things are spread out across the hierarchy/subfolders of all three (root, home & shared). Will it go in “Application Support,” “Music,” “Library,” “Audio,” “Plug-ins,” etc. etc.

It’s crazy and is just chaos. Let’s talk about how this stuff can be simplified/streamlined/made more sane. As in, what are the possibilities and limitations. Cheers

3. nephology

nephology Newbie

To contribute to my own thread, I'll share a couple of things that have made this shit more manageable.

1) I use this free app for searching my hard drive:
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11076/easyfind

2) I've disabled "Home" Library from being hidden, killing the need for keyboard shortcuts/commands just to access it. That can be changed by going to your home folder, choosing "view," and selecting "show view options."

Albeit, still a far cry from having your plugin organization be sane and organized.

4. iphobbes

iphobbes Ultrasonic

Hi ,

1- use Find any File , https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/ free\paid , much more powerful and faster results than easy finder.

If From your hidden Library delete folders than you as a USER will not be able to save your presets for many 3rd party apps

If this [“Application Support,” “Music,” “Library,” “Audio,” “Plug-ins,” etc. etc.] is system folder than don't touch it

If you are talking about your Home Library than , the reason for components being there is you installed those plugins either by plugin manager by that developer , and the install was done only for 1 user without granting system root permission.

if you are the only person using the system then you should keep everything in

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3
    /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins
    /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins

you can choose to let go of .components and .aax if you don't plan on using Logic Pro \ Pro tools
    but keep in mind if you delete .components than any other apple app like FCP and stuff which uses audio plugins will not be able to use anything.

i would suggest not to delete stuff here
    /Users/[user]/Library

as lot of licenses \ user settings are kept here.

5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

@nephology Just to say, the rules say we must not multi post one after another. We must merge posts.

6. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

And what about having to continually enter a password to install or uninstall plugs (and more) despite the fact that I'm the only one using the computer? Really frustrating!!! :dont:

Furthermore, when installing the Operating System I have to be able to choose whether I want to install it for a single user (without those double folders, Libraries, Preference, Applications Support, Fonts etc. everywhere on my HD and, therefore, without login and logout) or with multiple users. If I am a single user, only one Library folder, one Fonts etc. is enough.
    Fuck Apple, don't break my balls!!!
    It's my fucking problem what I want to do with my computer! :trolls:

Apple had the best OS in the world and they messed everything up. :snuffy:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  7. nephology

nephology Newbie

Thanks, I appreciate your advice. And I replaced EasyFind w/ what you suggested. No regrets

8. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Just learn to use grep -

There is a valid reason for *nix to have a ~/Library, /Users/Shared/Library as well as ~/Library it is about permissions and complete separation of concerns and binaries if so chosen. Just because some people can only count to one doesn't mean we should all cut off the other nine fingers and all of our toes.

:)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

That would be to specifically stop malware from being able to install on your computer without you entering your root-level password. That's also how it stops ransomware being installed without it being packaged with another app which you would have to approve for install with a password (like they packaged the recent one with an altered package of Little Snitch)

If 'messed everything up' translates to 'stops idiots from installing shit they shouldn't by accident' then yes you'd be correct they did change that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List