Plugin Delay Compensation issue with Ableton Live(10 and 11)

Discussion in 'Live' started by Hareesh S, May 15, 2021.

1. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

I was trying to make this glitchy sounding track, so I had a Beat Repeat(Stock effect in Live) on the master that I automated. (the project started with PDC on, as it is by default). After adding enough synths and audio tracks, it became obvious that shit was out of sync cause the Beat Repeat, which was automated on while the kick plays, was catching and repeating the tail end of the kick alone, not the transient. This didn't make sense to me cause PDC is supposed to fix this kind of issue by compensating right? Well, apparently not cause when I turn off PDC, it sounds more in time and Beat Repeat catches and repeats the right part of the track. So with this particular project, I have PDC turned off, but my question is, if I start adding more tracks, thereby introducing more delay, with PDC turned off will that mess up the overall timing? Am I doing something wrong instead, cause I don't understand how turning it off seemingly solves my problem? I had this problem in Live 10(where I started the project) and now Live 11 too. Any insight is appreciated, thank you!

3. Krugen

Krugen Ultrasonic

PDC IN LIVE DOESNT WORK
    its been like this for ages and they obviously dont care

but hey, we got an echo plugin :rofl:

4. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

Yeah I know in general its pretty broken, but I haven't run into an issue like this before personally, so I don't know what to do! Should I turn on PDC and remove the Beat Repeat(So I can apply it to a rendered version of the track), or forget about PDC and keep working on it? Will the problems keep piling up with PDC turned off? Should I ignore, bounce all the tracks as stems and manually align them and THEN add the beat repeat?! I'm clueless!

5. Krugen

Krugen Ultrasonic

the only way to avoid the problem is either to commit whatever youve done in the plugin chain up until beat repeat (aka bounce in place)
    OR to have a dummy midi clip send the daw tempo to the beat repeat with the sidechain function, if it has one

thats what I usually do whenever I need to apply sidechain

6. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

Doesn't have a SC function so the first option will have to do, but before I bounce the track, should I bounce with PDC on or off is the question. Thanks for the reply!

7. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Never used Live, but it sounds like automation isn't latency compensated properly. I also suspect some routing problems, because it overcompensates, seemingly. This should not happen in any other scenario I can imagine, even with simplistic algorithms like those of Live. The best you can do here, I suppose, is manually adjust automatioh so it catches the exact moments you want. Move it left, in this instance.
    On a side note, more tracks don't necessary mean more latency, as long as the routing is adequate and any new signal path doesn't have more latency than the slowest one already present. PDC evens out channels between themselves before they hit busses, and then evens out busses between themselves before they hit submixes/master, so if what you're adding has less latency than what you already have, the overall latency of the project shouldn't change.

8. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

This makes sense, thank you!

9. element6

element6 Newbie

I've been wondering about this myself. Sometimes things don't sound right during playback and when I turn off delay compensation tracks sound more correctly timed. Also my input delay is gone when I turn it off... Should I just not use delay compensation?

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy Member

The Echo plugin was removed in Live 11

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i only noticed in Live 10.1.35 that ABL2 was out of sync one time.

i hardly noticed that PDC doesnt work. it was a lot more bad in v8, where VSTFx chains went out of sync and even on restarting ableton they will stay not in sync.

@Mr Happy it wasnt removed its still there. why would they removed a device, even older devices are still there, like old reverb, redux.

12. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

So could it be an issue on my end/setup then? My initial assumption was that I was running into issues only because I was automating an effect on the master track(Something I rarely do, so maybe that's why I haven't noticed this issue before) Is that a possible explanation?

13. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

If you're using audio tracks as busses (rather than grouping them) and dont deactivate the sends on those "bus" tracks, Live will have a hard time with delay compensation and whatever fx you use will be out of sync, no matter you use DPC or not

14. ArticStorm

this works fine for me.

where i really had problems, was when i use return tracks, those are always out of sync. i solved this over audio channels, they are always in sync with the other channels.

this way delay compensation works.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

Ohh that actually makes a lot of sense! I have an audio track that I'm routing to for a global sidechain, I'll look into whether that's the stem of my issues. Thanks for the input!

16. ArticStorm

an audio channel where u route all shit in, has the same properties as a return track, it is even more flexible, you can fully filter it, while return/send tracks tend are not so flexible.

i am not sure why ableton never fixed the out of sync with the send tracks, its been like v8 (2010) like that, before it was working i guess?

17. bear on fridge

bear on fridge Ultrasonic

Can you elaborate more about how you solved it? Because I have a hard time figuring this out. From what I understand, "copying" track/group is the same as a return, it introduces latency and has the same problem as a return track. So for example if I put empty audio track on a full mix, want to make it a Reverb "Return" track, I can put a compressor for example on it, select a track/group in a sidechain section, click on headphone icon and slap a reverb on top of it. So technically the problem persists or not? Am I missing something here, and really can't test this right now, but I encountered that same problem a couple times.

Edit: Ah nah, yeah, I just got it, just completely forgot about it. You can send those groups to a "dummy" audio track, put FX (reverb, etc.) on it, group it, insert another channel within that group and mix in wet/dry. From what I remember groups within audio/instrument tracks are properly delay compensated. Still If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  18. clone

clone Audiosexual

How is hardware/external instrument latency compensation in Ableton? I know it is supposed to work correctly...

19. ArticStorm

thats completely broken. And was never fixed sadly so far i read. Idk why this was never adressed, but instead more new stuff was added? Probably not enough users?! (i really dont know ...)

20. Ankit

Ankit Guest

21. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

But that was in 2014...