(Plugin Alliance) Two SPL new toys.

Discussion in 'Software News' started by thantrax, Jan 10, 2019.

1. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

SPL IRON

[​IMG]

In 2015 SPL released the IRON mastering compressor based on an original concept.

Their goal was to conceive a compressor that provided a pleasant, melodic-sounding, transparent compression, inspired by the vintage compressors of the radio era. But they wanted it to be versatile enough to adapt perfectly to the needs of modern mastering studios.

Thus, the IRON combines not only the sonic virtues of legendary vintage tube compressors with the advantages of the High Dynamic 120 V operating voltage in a single unit. It also sets a new benchmark in terms of tube compressor technology, with the innovative implementation of a parallel dual-tube circuit.

Iron is a variable-bias tube compressor, often called a “Vari-Mu” design. Unlike most standard variable-bias designs, which use the bias of a single tube for compression, Iron uses a dual circuit topology. This means, the incoming signal is split between two tubes via a specially designed Mu-Metal iron transformer, running in parallel and then recombined. One tube is a 12AX7/ECC83 and the other a 12AU7/ECC82. Each tube yields a slightly different compression curve and feel.

The Attack and Release parameters have six different settings ranging from Slow to Fast. The times are not constant, they vary according to the Rectifier circuit selected: There are six different Rectifier settings available with different diodes (Germanium, Silicon, LED, mixed).

Mastering is not the only domain where the IRON sets new standards. It can also be used to process subgroups or individual signals, like vocals, bass, guitar, strings, etc.

SPL HawkEye

[​IMG]

HawkEye comprises the most versatile audio measuring instruments in one toolset. It has been developed with the highest precision in mind to set a new standard in audio analyzing.

Unique features like bit-depth analysis and high-frequency monitoring offer a new window into the world of high-resolution audio recordings.

The user experience follows aviation industry guidelines for designing cockpit instruments. Therefore, HawkEye presents all information uncluttered, minimizing eyestrain over extended periods of use.

HawkEye’s main view shows all measurement instruments within a single window, yet this is only one mode of operation. To be as flexible as possible any instrument can be undocked in its own resizable window by a simple double-click, and then freely arranged on your screen!

More info @ Plugin Alliance

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
    • Interesting Interesting x 5
    • List
  3. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

SPL IRON seems very useful. It can compress from transparent to colored.

4. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

i remember seeing the hardware unit on SPL's website years ago, & wondered if a plugin version would be developed over time.

5. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I call 299 no intro price.

6. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Do I really need this?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  7. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Did great music productions exist before these tools? :winker:

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

299 Yen isn't that expensive. :wink: [just joking...]

Speaking of transparent mastering compressors, Voxengo Polysquasher comes to mind. It never ceases to amaze me. Polysquasher>Elephant>job done. Maybe a bit of Warmifier, or VariSaturator, or some other saturator/clipper before all that to squash the peaks a little, make the Elephant work easier. Also, Limiter no6 is fantastic all-in-one in itself, easy to get great results. I love it! :headbang:

Still, I would really like to try this one. I've been always in love with SPL stuff. :P

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Only about 29,700 more yen to go!

10. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

"melodic-sounding, transparent compression"

WTF does that even mean? I swear they're just making shit up.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah !! Voxengo rules !

And for less than 299 (250) you can get their entire plugin collections (like less than 10€ each if you only count the paid ones).

PA is cool too. Not the same price range. Endorsements and crap....Once you have a lot of them, it starts being decent price wise.
    And the new plugs will be discounted for a period, as usual. But since it's discounted on a high price....

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Ultrasonic

you can try it for 14 days without limitations...

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Sorry for the offtopic, guys. @Talmi Thanks for mentioning getting the whole Voxengo bundle for $250. Yes, it is now possible. I simply couldn't believe it when I read it on his website! :headbang: It's a kind of subscription, but the best kind, best deal I've ever heard of. Aleksey is being incredibly generous. Not to mention how he open sourced his incredibly high-quality oversampling algorithm. :wink:

14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Maybe they mean "musically sounding" and "transparent compression" in a contradictory/weird hybrid? Maybe the germans are upping their sales pitches, with inspiration from Ben & Jerry's? Haha.

15. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Different compressors and limiters sound different when it comes to transparency and/or liveliness, that much is true.

16. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

So HawkEye is at the price of 149$ (249 when intro price ends) and Iron is 229$ (329 after).....

17. baldman

baldman Ultrasonic

Just got an email from PA; Iron for $149, have a $50 January coupon, no brainer at $99. Generic beer for a month or two. Worth the sacrifice in my book !

18. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

The rectifier thingy in Iron is such an obvious ripoff of AA's coral compressor curve feature (where you can change the curves of response going from sand, ultramarine, aquamarine, etc)....:rofl:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. Ballz

Ballz Producer

I got IRON for 24$ with the heavy hitter coupon and monthly voucher lol...steal

20. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Who knows how to get the UI shown by the picture? I get the dual processor UI only.

upload_2019-1-12_4-52-8.png

21. virusg

virusg Rock Star

same here, also I like their new tmt technology and wish other plugins to be updated with that like mpressor spl passive, he based plugins ... I don't know if bx delay is based on hardware...