Plugin Alliance release new plugins 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Voekit, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Orglblork

Orglblork Ultrasonic

the current bx limiter is actually an extremely useful tool but not for 2 bus duties. it's great for keeping individual tracks in check. there ARE purposes for limiters besides big dumb loud at the end of the chain... like a db or so of reduction on a metal kick drum or snare. 1-2 off the top of an already processed vocal. just helps keeps sounds from getting too pokey.

there arent really too many clean limiters like the bx one. for example waves L1 and L2 have the weird waves sound already baked in, even with no gain reduction, then get worse from there. elephant is ok but high CPU and too complicated for these kinds of tasks.

DMG tracklimit and UAD precision limiters are ok for these jobs too but i think the bx is the most straightforward and cleanest. YMMV

2. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

brainworx is always dope :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. visitor

visitor Guest

Can you link to where Dirk said this? I can't find it :o

4. Howard Carpendale

Howard Carpendale Platinum Record

isnt that centralization great , great we do it everywhere in all areas . so great for us .

man that unfiltered audio had a good approach but yeah now i dont wonder anymore ..

5. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Where he said what? Most of his chattiness is on Facebook, so look there and follow him and the PA stuff if you want to see that communication...

6. Tele_Vision

Tele_Vision Platinum Record

If people can't make good music with the tools they have now then these $3700 (soon to be on sale for $23) plugins aren't going to change that. Am I the only one bored to tears with new plugins at this point? How bout working on your craft FFS?! And yes, I haven't gotten enough caffeine today!:excl:

7. Voekit

Voekit Producer

FB Group

8. Voekit

Voekit Producer

No, Most of Knif users will purhase upgraded equippment.
    Much more than 7300

9. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

"Brainworx bx_limiter TP (True Peak) is a completely new design, crafted to avoid the shortcomings of existing true peak limiters."

So yes, it seems you made this up just so you could complain about it.

10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

And which would they be, please?

11. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Brainworx not selling them :)

12. TheRiddler303

TheRiddler303 Kapellmeister

exactly. im a PA subscriber and cant wait to test it. BUT, all the promo vids over the past 2 weeks compare always the same usual plugins. no one compared it to the weiss yet. i just got the weiss package last month with the 30% discount on softubes page and with this one, you can get really really loud, if you want to

13. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

You'll need to ask Brainworx, the originators of that quote, or wait for the limiter to be released tomorrow, and perhaps read the web blurb and the manual, and watch the promo videos, where I'm sure they'll go into as much detail about their new product as you'd like...

I know nothing about this product other than what's already been said about it and public feedback from testers etc.

14. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

You seem to be argumentative & easily susceptible to marketing babbling as well, which indicates low cognitive functioning! Naturally I made an assumption purely based on the name, nothing more or less.

How do you know it's really a completely new design, not the old limiter with added peak limiting function and new UI? Have you analysed it?

My point stands: I expect a true peak function as an update to the existing limiter, not as a separate plugin that requires one to pay full price again. But to each his own, I guess fanbois will be fanbois.

15. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Just seen the demo video. Looks cool and they claim it's a complete redesign based on what they termed "SOS - selective oversampling".

That's actually an approach pioneered by Tokyo Dawn Labs. While TDR limiter is available for 30 bucks, BX charges 299 bucks. I doubt their limiter is 10 times better though, in fact I suspect TDR being superior.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

lol! I love it when you call someone out, and instead of them saying something like "Yeah, my bad, I made a flawed assumption, I should really wait and see what this thing is like rather than pissing all over it before release", all they can manage is call other people names. What indicates low cognitive functioning again..? ;)

I just queried your assumption, based on what we knew pre-release (which is of course just marketing, as that's all we had). You didn't reply, and I updated the comment which specifically addressed your flawed assumption.

Well you call me stupid, but I'm not the one who assumed it was crap, and then complained about it's crapness. I was far more willing to wait and try it and give it the benefit of the doubt. People seem so desperate to hate on things these days... *sigh*

Of course not. But I take them at their word when they said they've built a completely new tool from the group up, rather than revising their old implementation (in conjunction with the other info and comments available etc). In fact, they specifically call out a number of times how just adding true peak features onto an existing limiter just doesn't work - so it would be pretty silly of them to specifically call this out as being bad if that's exactly what they are doing.

Of course, we don't know. Have you tried it? I've just been playing with it - it sounds pretty good here, and I like the interface, but I don't think it's something that's going to convince me to buy it, I'm happy enough with existing tools and probably not nearly golden-eared enough to judge it. I did a few tests comparing a similar amount of gain reduction on a few different limiters and it certainly holds up, for my ears anyway.

It's a completely new, different plugin. If you own the previous version, you get a hefty discount ($130 is the price for owners of qualifying plugins) so you don't have to pay full price again. Plus vouchers and stuff if you have them reduce it further.

There you go again, making assumptions...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  17. Warped Effect

Warped Effect Ultrasonic

I wouldn't describe CrispyTuner as superb, considering the fact that it only has mono support, it's weird, because all of the other Monophonic Real-Time Auto-Tune VST's on the market have stereo support.

Maybe Plugin Alliance / Brainworx has figured out a way to add stereo support to their re-designed version of CrispyTuner / Bx_Vocalstudio ?, we shall see.

This is the response from the original CrispyTuner developer in august 2020 about why CrispyTuner only has mono support, and why it doesn't have stereo support, and his response is incorrect about Waves Tune Real-Time, because it does have stereo support and i verified this with 2 different mono testing methods.

18. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

19. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Been seeing lots of good feedback on the new limiter - of course, it's New and Shiny so there will be lots of the usual over-hyped reactions to anything new being the best! evah!, but I've seen some interesting technical analysis here and there with people concluding that it does indeed do what's it's claiming, and that the specs/performance, as well as the sound are impressive.

Someone else here said they found it not as good as the Sonnox Limiter - I had a quick play with the Sonnox one and couldn't really get great results* but I think that's because I don't quite understand some of the features and behaviour - I'd need to dig into that more. I'll probably stick to Ozone but if iZ end up going completely subscription only then I might look around for something else - and Ozone's pretty "heavy", whereas the BX one is quite light on the CPU and fast, and it's really clean sounding.

I can't say playing with limiters is the most fun thing in the world but sometimes it's good to play around with different products just to assess what you already know and see if there's anything that might work for you better...

Edit: I had another play with the Sonnox and went through the presets a bit, and I could definitely get it in the range of sounding good (although it's very easy to get crunchy and bad sounding!). I saved out a range of preset starting points I liked which weren't too aggressive - there's a good range of presets at least to give some options in what it can do.

For me, the BX limiter's interface is really clean, slick and it has my favourite metering, including dynamic range, LUFS targets, stereo coherence etc (I'm actually not much of a fan of seeing the waveform scroll by, too much visual distraction).

In sound, from what I've tried today, I like the BX TP, the Sonnox (not so great metering), and Ozone's Vintage Limiter (has the scrolly waveform, and less precise on how much gain you're adding as it just has threshold and ceiling parameters and I also find the metering a little confusing).

I'm not so much a fan of FF Pro L, unlike most people I'm not a huge fan of their interfaces, and I find the metering not that great... (Although just tried Pro L2 and it's quite a bit better, the interface is better and I liked the sound of it.)

Anyway, just some findings from today, FWIW. I am liking the BX though, quite a bit.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021