Please Stop using bigcat VSTis.

Discussion in 'Software News' started by bigcat1969, Jun 5, 2015.

1. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

I was alerted to an issue where a loud noise may come from a bigcat VSTi that could blow a speaker and cause ringing in the ears. Please discontinue using them. The last thing I want is for someone to be injured or their audio equipment harmed.
    My apologies for any problems or inconvenience. This was not my intent.
    This covers only the stand alone VSTis. Kontakt and other versions are not effected.

3. Index

Index Producer

When I read the thread I thought "oh wow, why is someone hating on bigcat and badmouthing his VSTis?" but then I read the Username :wow:
    Thank you very much for your concern, not many content creators care this much for their users.
    I hope you can figure out the cause of this problem :mates:
    (are you sure it's not on their end? is the bug reproducible?)

4. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

Thanks bigcat1969 For The Info :mates:

5. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

I'm afraid its probably to do with the maize sampler I was using. I'm not trying to badmouth them, but it seems like the things I made using the sampler have a few issues. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it would be. I figure better safe than destroying the ears and speakers of my friends.

6. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Just to mention:
    At least Reaper has an automatic track disabler when a synth/effect "rages" like that (loud sound / soundspike). That means Reaper is muting the channel before it sounds loud.
    It saved my ears many times (also e.g. with channel feedback loops when you're working with outboard equipment).

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

^
    Also, "blowing a speaker" is just nonsense. Please, Stop.
    Or is your VSTi magical and outputs +30dBFS (or more)?

Since you can't replicate it, could it be user error perhaps?

Hope you find that causes it (on your side, or on the user's side).

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I'll still continue to consider using bigcat VSTis since they're handy.

mda Piano also emits loud sounds (when loading project in REAPER). As bb said, that automutes the track, but it's annoying to unmute it each launch.

So I put a hard limiter @ -6dB (it makes distortion but better than unmute each launch), or you could use Ice9 http://www.cerberusaudio.com/Software/Products/Ice9/ which auto mutes and unmutes on loud sounds.

9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

As usual Baxter makes perfect sense..

who uses these weak plugs anyway?

10. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

what is the maximum dbfs of a vst?

In normal (read=logical) situations your right, but theoretically a abrubt change of 6 dbfs could just be enough to blow a speaker with an overpowered amp, if the level is already on the edge....
    on the other hand, if so this could happen even without a buggy plugin. (native instrument driver anyone? :bleh: )

proper gain staging (in/out the box) and limiting is the key

11. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

As mentioned above the VSTi itself can only throw out signal data within maintained limits.

Therefore would involve serious gaining of kind most probably at the audio interface to speaker etc

Most amplifiers are capable of destroying a speaker but what level you output at is your choice, your responsibility.

I suppose a faulty interface,amp would be a different matter.

So in conclusion the VSTi in iself not capable of blowing the speaker without some help from the amplification stage which would again translate to faulty hardware or in most cases as mentioned USER error *yes*

12. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

That's why I always put a limiter at 0db on my master when I'm working. If there's an issue I'll jump out of my seat but at least I'm not deaf for 2 days and my hardware doesn't explode :rofl: I've learned this the hard way :rofl:

13. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

what works for you :) in the creative process I found myself pushing the volumes up to high on intuition, when inserting a limiter on the master channel. but hey, I'm a mud-head when in the creative process :rofl:

14. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

I'll make sure I put a limiter in when I'm messing with my DAW. I hadn't really worried about it before when just messing around. So something good learned.

15. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Could also be a driver/hardware issue. Does the computer freeze when that happens? Or BSOD or something?

I've had that happen to me but not sure what causes it. (Computer freezes and emits loud static 'till you restart) I think it's driver-related (maybe graphics) or a driver-related memory leak but I'm not sure (something about ntoskernel.exe or something).

It could also be some internal plug-in feedback loop. (Can also happen with live input, like when plugging a guitar and having amp sims on or having noise somewhere in the chain)

Generally, I've had issues with such basic plug-ins.

-

Won't you have issues with the balance with a limiter constantly on? That Ice9 thingy seems handy.

16. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

It didn't happen to me. it happened to a user. He basically said that the notes stopped when he was playing chords and suddenly there was a huge blast of noise that broken his headphone speakers and hurt his ears. I have managed to replicate an issue where when you hold a note, another incorrect note starts playing. Overall my idea of using maize to make freebies just hasn't worked. But hey I have a new even cooler, reverbier GUI for my Kontakt stuff thanks to Clandestine! So I think I'll mess with that.

17. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Hi bigcat:

Thanks for the warning, I've downloaded quite a few of your offerings, and fortunately, I have not experienced the issue. However, as bb has said, REAPER has a feature that 'automutes' loud and dangerous spikes on tracks. I'll certainly be more circumspect in the future in regards to this... Nonetheless, a big-time thanks for your well-intended generosity.

18. Axil

Axil Ultrasonic

Thank's For The Info BigCat :mates: i use Sonatina Violin and I've never had a problem with it. Anyway Thank You.

19. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

Thanks for using them guys. I'm glad to hear that they worked right for someone! ;)

On an unrelated and humorous note, this collection of my instruments is offered on youtube with the note to "Grab it before it is patched by the developers."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqPiFDRap4
    PS I would be hesitant about following the link under the video!

20. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Yikes!! I hope you can get that taken down

21. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

I thought this was a feature.
    I guess I won't be using the Ear Ringer or Speaker Blower presets any longer.