please rate my mix, I know it's shit but tell me what needs to be fixed :D

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by DPA, Nov 27, 2022.

1. DPA

DPA Ultrasonic

:) :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @DPA, you have talent and a beautiful expressive voice.
    The song is very well done and an asset to the music world.
    Try to reconstruct the end of the piece of music, the end is missing, it ends abruptly.
    Please try to get rid of your negative "I know it sucks".
    I follow you now on Soundcloud and please don't let your songs (Where I belong) end abruptly - give them 3 - 4 seconds.

I love it:

https://soundcloud.com/user-233877651

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Well, the good news is, as @BEAT16 says... it doesn't suck at all!

I think it's just a part of a longer song, I hope you will have time to develop it more, adding a verse or two (and/or a bridge, a break, a solo... something unexpected?), and above all make a great ending / conclusion, as it deserves one!

Great start, please don't give up, as it is interesting enough to appeal an audience!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

How were you able to hear that behind all the Autotune?
    Try to achieve wide mix with panning instead of stereo width. I hear some stereo phase issues. Also your sound is too dim and murky when compared to commercial releases in the same vein, is that intentional?

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. DPA

DPA Ultrasonic

by dim you mean dark? maybe i overdid the multiband on master.
    how does one fix stereo phase?

7. justwannadownload

No, highs and high-mids aren't too compressed, but rather somewhat absent. In both arrangement and mixing. That's why I'm asking.
    By dialing back stereo widening and panning things around instead. A wide synth in the center will give you less perceived width than a narrow synth to the side with some slapback delay on the opposite side. Right now you have everything close to center and everything but bass and voice is a bit too wide. If you will try to monitor your mix in mono now, you will notice that really a lot is going away. A good mix should not sound empty in mono.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Intuition and decades of listening experience - cannot be explained rationally.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  9. DPA

DPA Ultrasonic

If @No Avenger didn't say anything then I guess mixdown is ok :D

10. Genoveva Bernhard

Genoveva Bernhard Producer

Best Answer
    It's not bad, actually. I suppose that heavily-autotuned voice is an intentional stylistic decision. Pretty brave. Hopefully, it doesn't hold you or your song back. I haven't listened to pop/rock/top 40 radio in years, so is that the norm now?

11. DPA

DPA Ultrasonic

yeah my singing isn't that good so I try to cover up with autotune :D but I guess it's way too obvious and should dial back up a bit.

12. dannybarrera

dannybarrera Newbie

bro pls send me an email. I'm working on an album and I'd love to have you on it.

13. This is ART

This is ART Newbie

yo tight song! honestly i'm in the middle of things but i saw the advice on here and it all seemed lacking in actual tangible mix advice that would get your song approved for a sync so let me give you a little goodness on the free tip.

intro guit 1: 1k high shelf +1-2 db
    intro lead guit 2: 2-4k -1-2 db
    verse kicks: boost 100hz area +1-3db for more punch/power
    verse snare: lacking 1-4k, carefully sweep area with a wide bell +1-3 db / possibly boost overall volume +1-3 db
    verse hats: bring them up but be careful because there's a lot of +10k freq, possibly boost 7k +1-3db w/tight Q
    verse bass: perfect, might benefit from carefully distorting the 150hz region to create 200-500hz tonal distortion
    verse vocals: great! bring them up +1-3 db with a 5k de-esser at the end and/or ~500 hz low shelf +1 db to get more power

chorus kicks: boost 30-45hz +1-3 db
    chorus claps: cut 1k wide bell -1-2 db
    chorus bass: cut 60hz and 90 hz -1-3 db tight bells

I gotta run but this should get you muchhhh closer in the right direction. Again, super sick song! Mixing is a b*tch and most people are too afraid to offer tangible advice like this because they have no idea how to get granular with specific frequencies. Or they charge, haha.

Best of luck to you sir

14. DPA

DPA Ultrasonic

I did all you have said but used ears as well and it indeed sounds better overall.
    Also my boost on 4k on snare was there just very slight, boosted it a bit more and boom snare pops much better in the mix.
    Thank you

15. DPA

DPA Ultrasonic

Quick question for everyone who has seen this. Will anyone be willing to master this once it's done, it would be my first release and your potential new client :)

16. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

its a nice track, but darn is it dry as f%%&.
    I get a panic-like claustrophobic feeling of it. lol

17. justwannadownload

Would you agree to mastering being "lower everything down to -14 LUFS and -1 dBTP"?

18. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

Unfortuantely the Cher/T-Pain effect like Marmite tends to divide audiences into lovers or haters.
    I'm in the latter camp I'm afraid (I think the effect sounds dated in 2022) which is a shame because the rest of the production sounds pretty damn good to my ears.
    As others have said, the track ends too abruptly and the change in tempo after the intro doesn't make much sense with a song clocking in at just 1 min 38 seconds.

19. executioner

executioner Guest

Perhaps you might want to use Melodyne instead OP. Not sure if it is the intended effect you're going for but if you use Autotune, you know it'll just snap it to the closest note in the key, so I understand if you don't have much control of your voice you'd want it to do that. You can dial down the autotune but in most cases, it won't be able to catch the notes right if it's too "pitchy". You'll be able to get a more natural sound through Melodyne though - by fixing the notes that are out of pitch and running it through autotune afterward (if you really want) to make the quantized effect more precise. :mates:

20. executioner

executioner Guest

This sounds like just tossing it into smart:limit and calling it a day :rofl:

21. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG] Too kind.

Kick: my usual approach if it lacks low end, RBass and/or freq dependent transient shaper and/or MB compressor. A bit of ambience/room?
    Snare: you could additionally lower ~6kHz. Less level?
    Claps: maybe add an LP and emphasize ~ 3kHz so it fills up the missing freqs of the snare.
    Bass: verse: maybe add a decay phase or lower the sustain, at high volume it's quite obstrusive. chorus: too loud

Other than that @This is ART made quite good suggestions. :like:

22. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:yes:

No way, -4 is standard. :rofl: